Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I can see them using this is cybernetic bodies (cyborgs) and for mobile suits. oh yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    I can't wait for cyborgs. It's gonna be crazy stuff.
    Still crossing my fingers for laser eyeballs.

Still, baby steps. This is amazing for paralyzed people, though it still won't help them much if the muscle tissue is permanently damaged/the limb is missing. Hopefully their friends over at robotics making those robot limbs controlled by the brain can bridge that gap.

Then we strap flamethrowers onto the robot limbs!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    First target for this, Steven Hawking.
    My immediate thoughts as well. I've seen the documentary. It's only a matter of time before he has no physical way to communicate at all.

Amazing technology. The amount of venture funding that will be dropped into these researchers laps will be eye poppingly large.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the new Artcraft I thought this was some jab at the new human model, but this was a pleasant surprise! Fuck yeah, science.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Metal detectors will be fun.

Also, EMPs too.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if he just starts to think "I would like to wank it," does the hand just start doing it?!

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    At what point does a man become a cyborg?
    We've already got robotic limbs and bionic organs and pacemakers and camera eyes.
    I guess when we'll actually be better off with robotic parts? Where machinery will be leaps and bounds better than the mortal counterpart. When having cyborg arms can make you flip a truck by yourself.

Of course that'd be mildly concerning because you'll probably have people purposely lopping off limbs to be stronger, faster, and better... Plus it'll be a fantastic diet trend to, robot arms don't get fat after all!

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess when we'll actually be better off with robotic parts? Where machinery will be leaps and bounds better than the mortal counterpart. When having cyborg arms can make you flip a truck by yourself.

Of course that'd be mildly concerning because you'll probably have people purposely lopping off limbs to be stronger, faster, and better... Plus it'll be a fantastic diet trend to, robot arms don't get fat after all!
    I think you'd have a hard time anchoring your non-robotic body if you tried to flip a car.

However, I'd be more concerned with not-so-nice people getting robotic parts and doing bad things with them. Robotic arms race, anyone?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Gah not good! My spine is my living

I imagine the main issue with a full on cyborg along with power armor (personally, I'd prefer a power armor :P) is the energy required. Having to walk around with a huge ass battery would be impractical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    My immediate thoughts as well. I've seen the documentary. It's only a matter of time before he has no physical way to communicate at all.
    One way or another. He's not a young man.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    *picture of MGS: Revengance

You don't want cyborg spines.
    These are nanite energy packs (or some such hogwash) which are stored in the abdomen, these are not the spine, which you actually learn during one of the first missions after the tutorial.

@Topic: Finally, I hope all works out for the person that pioneered this. I wonder how they dealt with tissue degeneration, especially at the connection of the chip and electronics, afaik that used to be one of the major concerns, though I haven't heard much about it lately, have they fixed that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait for cyborgs. It's gonna be crazy stuff.
    I never asked for this.

But hey, I can take out bad guys with these sweet blades in my arms!
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I never asked for this.

But hey, I can take out bad guys with these sweet blades in my arms!
    How long is the power cable they ship you with these days? How many months would it take to charge you via usb?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Damn. I was hoping this meant that back pain could be a thing of the past, but oh well. First target for this, Steven Hawking.
    Wait what? It's not?

FUUUUUU