Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ...
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason its seen as "bad" to hit a woman is because of long standing social conditioning stemming largely from ye olde chivalry. Women were precious little roses that had to be coddled and looked after by the big strong man and only an uncouth savage would strike such a helpless creature. This is a "western" thing for the most part. All you have to do is look at some Asian or Middle Eastern cultures to see the difference in outlook.

Nowadays, in this magical era of gender equality, women are by in large expected to look after themselves. Sure, there is still a cultural, if not instinctual, imperative amongst men to protect women, but for the most part, men and women are equals. Part of that equality means being held accountable for ones own actions. If a man strikes a woman, yes, he is in the wrong and the woman is well withing her rights to retaliate. Now, given the general difference in strength between males and females, it is less likely that the woman would be able to inflict much in the way of damage unless she knew what she was doing, but she has the right to try.

However.

If the roles were reversed and it is the woman initiating aggression against the man, he also has the right to retaliate. Now, because of cultural conditioning and instinctive nature, most men would not retaliate. That does not mean that he has to stand there and take the abuse. He is making a conscious choice not to hurt her. Not every guy is willing to make that same choice. Bear this in mind ladies the next time you think its okay to strike your man.

Rule number one in not getting your ass beat - Keep your hands to yourself. If you throw that punch or slap, be prepared to suffer the consequences. Because not everyone is going to just stand there passively and take it. This goes for men and women.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2014-09-29 at 02:00 PM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Only surveyed people age 18-22. Surprise surprise. Older women are more well adjusted than their younger counter parts. People ever wonder why I only date older women. All of the studies that didn't limit their scope of age still found men to be the ones more likely to be violent.
    Is there reason to believe that women become more passive as they age while men become more aggressive?
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2014-09-29 at 07:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Hmmm. Okay, I pick option C - you base it entirely on my situation and nothing more. And in my sitatuon, there was no victim.
    and you are wrong.
    you were physically abusive to your spouse.
    end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    If the roles were reversed and it is the woman initiating aggression against the man, he also has the right to retaliate. Now, because of cultural conditioning and instinctive nature, most men would not retaliate. That does not mean that he has to stand there and take the abuse. He is making a conscious choice not to hurt her. Not every guy is willing to make that same choice. Bear this in mind ladies the next time you think its okay to strike your man.
    I think the bigger issue here, isn't the clear & obvious domestic violence... ie... 'wife beats husband with a rolling pin'... but rather the stuff that constitutes abuse when a man does it but not the reverse...

man calls woman 'certain names' and its emotional abuse...

woman gets upset man had to work 5 minutes late and he comes home to being called a 'cheating !@#$%$#$er, blahblahblah' and would never hear the end of the mocking from his buddies if he left her for 'emotional abuse'.

another thing thats bothered me for a while...

if a man makes a pass at a woman in a bar, its portrayed in media as "OK" for her jump right to slapping him or throwing a drink on him. its generally shown as 'comical' to the guy's expense.

Would anyone be laughing if a guy did this to a woman that made an innocent flirt to him in a bar ?