Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    You didn't read it. Seeing how you asked for it, read it or shut up.
    I asked about what state level laws you were citing and you linked me an article on the creation of the NLRB and a history of labor laws. Back up your claims or don't bother.

in other funny news about jobs, highering a felon gives a store owner more tax break incentive then a non felon, so on top of, "minorities".. minority felons reap the highest potential kickback to a store owner then anything else. lol :P Maybe one day the real injustice will be allowing people in jail to get mutiple degrees then releasing them into workforce.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

That wasn't a state level law.
    No he asked for the law, check for yourself.
    So what portion were you citing? Because it appears you were just taking an information dump and making us try to figure it out.

Yeah I'm not going to bother. I gave you the benefit of the doubt when you wished someone died. Not going to try to coax you into defending your claims.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    In regards to the actual article itself, and Google's article, which spurred this on just recently: it's really not the companies fault for not hiring white or asian males, but rather that's what makes up the skilled workforce. As it is, all of these companies are actively hiring anyone of any gender and ethnicity, they're looking for a single thing: talent. I've personally been requested to interview by both companies and I'm a white male and I assume my ethnicity and gender has nothing to do with it.

I think hiring or refusing someone based on their gender, ethnicity, religion, etc., is all incorrect, but quality female software engineers are rare (I've never met one). You can't exactly cry diversity when they're probably just as diverse as their job pool allows them to be.

The article says 85% of their developers are male. I would say that number is actually higher in terms of quality developers (honestly hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it at least in the Bay Area), so if anything Facebook might be skimping on quality in order to diversify, which in my opinion is a terrible thing to do - I assume I would be demeaned if I was hired by my gender or ethnicity over my actual value as an employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Merite View Post
    In regards to the actual article itself, and Google's article, which spurred this on just recently: it's really not the companies fault for not hiring white or asian males, but rather that's what makes up the skilled workforce. As it is, all of these companies are actively hiring anyone of any gender and ethnicity, they're looking for a single thing: talent. I've personally been requested to interview by both companies and I'm a white male and I assume my ethnicity and gender has nothing to do with it.

I think hiring or refusing someone based on their gender, ethnicity, religion, etc., is all incorrect, but quality female software engineers are rare (I've never met one). You can't exactly cry diversity when they're probably just as diverse as their job pool allows them to be.

The article says 85% of their developers are male. I would say that number is actually higher in terms of quality developers (honestly hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it at least in the Bay Area), so if anything Facebook might be skimping on quality in order to diversify, which in my opinion is a terrible thing to do - I assume I would be demeaned if I was hired by my gender or ethnicity over my actual value as an employee.
    Wasn't the other part of that for the issue in the bay area, the fact that it was an overwhelming majority of heterosexual white males, transplanted into SF, which was a way of casually linking the mid income displacement/hyper gentrification to the issue of Google's presence as an invasive species there?
    That anyhow is what I got form the the QQ about it. You can't cry foul on a majority of men in one degree catagory, after they graduate... lol Mayhaps the reason it's an unattractive profession for women should be looked at first.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    I disagree completely, and again you're wrong.

I'll take where I work, Out of 13 staff members 3 are male, 10 are female, and all of us are white. By this logic, the company I work for is racist and fairly sexist.
    A sample size of 13 proves nothing.

If your company had 1300 employees, 1000 of them were women, and there were no non-whites, yeah, I'd be comfortable saying it was being sexist and racist in its hiring practices.

I'm not going to do your homework for you.
    At that rate why would you even link him anything? Just tell him the statute is somewhere on the internet, don't want to do all the work for him after all! /s

Is not like more than %80 percent of USA white? Why is it a problem when things are the same in businesses?

Also a question. as a turkish man would i be considered minority in USA if i applied for a job?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    Is not like more than %80 percent of USA white? Why is it a problem when things are the same in businesses?
    It isn't. Affirmative action targets are typically said based on population diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    For the most part, standards for firefighters aren't lowered for female applicants.

https://uwaterloo.ca/uw-fitness/fire...lity-test-cpat

There's the CPAT test requirements for Ontario. No mention of gender anywhere. It's pass/fail. You either meet the requirements, or you don't, period.
    The one rescue like test is:

During the rescue event, you grasp the 165 pound (74.84 kilogram) mannequin by the handle(s) on the shoulder(s) of the harness (either one or both handles are permitted), drag it 35 feet (10.67 metres) to a pre-positioned drum, make a one hundred and eighty degree turn around the drum, and continue an additional 35 feet (10.67 metres) to the finish line.

165 pounds is less than the weight of an average man in Canada. http://www.halls.md/bmi/canada.htm

Just because the requirements are the same doesn't mean the requirements haven't been set to an artificially low bar in order to alllow a higher percentage of women to qualify.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    The one rescue like test is:

During the rescue event, you grasp the 165 pound (74.84 kilogram) mannequin by the handle(s) on the shoulder(s) of the harness (either one or both handles are permitted), drag it 35 feet (10.67 metres) to a pre-positioned drum, make a one hundred and eighty degree turn around the drum, and continue an additional 35 feet (10.67 metres) to the finish line.

165 pounds is less than the weight of an average man in Canada. http://www.halls.md/bmi/canada.htm

Just because the requirements are the same doesn't mean the requirements haven't been set to an artificially low bar in order to alllow a higher percentage of women to qualify.
    "The physical requirements haven't been set arbitrarily high so as to exclude women, so I will claim this is somehow unfair"

The requirements aren't lowered for women, nor are they "artificially low". You're just making stuff up, at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    I'm getting really of all those articles about how IT or IT related companies are male dominated, no shit they are, most people with an IT degree are male.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    I'm getting really of all those articles about how IT or IT related companies are male dominated, no shit they are, most people with an IT degree are male.
    Which is an example of the problem, not an argument that it isn't a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Its something the companies themselves can't do anything, so how again is a problem? We can't force people to pick a different study. Or less men to go into IT.

Whats next, comlaining about the lack of woman at construction sites?

Deleted
    What kind of argument is that? Sprinters aren't representing our population, we need more diversity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rederoin View Post
    Its something the companies themselves can't do anything, so how again is a problem? We can't force people to pick a different study. Or less men to go into IT.
    It means that women are being disincentivized at some point from entering that career path. I wasn't assigning the blame for that to the company, but affirmative action systems wouldn't punish them for a lack of applicants, either. They just expect that, given two equally-qualified applicants, you'll pick the one that improves your company's workforce diversity, if it's lacking.

Whats next, comlaining about the lack of woman at construction sites?
    Same difference. The question is why are there less women working in construction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    No can do in my line of work, better for the firefighters to get stronger.
    Yes, I'm sure you'd love to be carried about by a hulking, sweaty, man wouldn't you!?

"The physical requirements haven't been set arbitrarily high so as to exclude women, so I will claim this is somehow unfair"

The requirements aren't lowered for women, nor are they "artificially low". You're just making stuff up, at this point.
    If the test doesn't even cover the possibility of a woman (or a weaker man for that matter) to rescue an average weight man, then the test standards are set too low.

The average weight of a man in Canada is 183 pounds. So assuming the men in the department are average (while in my experience firefighters are bigger/stronger than average) with their 50 pounds of equipment, they had better hope they aren't injured and unable to extricate themselves since the firefighter candidates are only required to rescue 165 pounds rather than the 233 that they weigh. This isn't even considering that many people weight in excess of the average.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Yes, I'm sure you'd love to be carried about by a hulking, sweaty, man wouldn't you!?
    I would be more interested in meeting the woman that can do it.