Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Ok so you agree with me this ruling was a bad one then?
    depends on the statute.
    as endus put it their problems seems to be that it was applied arbitrarily and so, but ignoring such concerns, i see no pressing need to allow protests around hospitals (or clinics, w/e ...) so i can accept a restriction, generally, here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    While I may disagree with the stance itself, the hypocrisy is what disgusts me the most. This is entirely a referendum on abortion and I don't think the reason for the ruling is that such laws violate the Constitution.
    The constitution states that people have the right to peaceably assemble and protest. It does NOT say you can only do it in certain places. While you may not like what these people are protesting, its only a mater of time until they wouldve made a buffer zone for something YOU wanted to protest. If the protest becomes a non-peaceful protest, then the police can come in and arrest those not being peaceful

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    I don't think protesting on the property of the abortion clinic is appropriate. Though I would think private property laws would assist them in that respect?
    They cannot protest on private property without permission. As I understand it, this abortion clinic, like most is in a city, and as such, the clinic doesnt own the sidewalk going by the front of the clinic. They could build a clinic in the country and have a large private parking lot, and then prohibit protests on their private property. It would then be trespassing if people continued to protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    The constitution states that people have the right to peaceably assemble and protest. It does NOT say you can only do it in certain places. While you may not like what these people are protesting, its only a mater of time until they wouldve made a buffer zone for something YOU wanted to protest. If the protest becomes a non-peaceful protest, then the police can come in and arrest those not being peaceful

- - - Updated - - -

They cannot protest on private property without permission. As I understand it, this abortion clinic, like most is in a city, and as such, the clinic doesnt own the sidewalk going by the front of the clinic. They could build a clinic in the country and have a large private parking lot, and then prohibit protests on their private property. It would then be trespassing if people continued to protest.
    I agree with you. The only issue is that violence in abortion clinic protests is common. (Read some of the comments on that article).

Oorlong assembly rights are and always have been subject to regulation.

People have a right to safety and there is enough history of violence and criminal harassment tied to abortion providers ...
    Talks about a "right to safety," ignores infant's "right to safety." That's not contradictory or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about having lots and lots of sex that means you're going to have a kid.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my town, abortion "protesting" is just three old ladies sitting in lawn chairs out in front of the building. They don't even care to bring signs anymore and don't say a word to anyone walking into the building. They just sit there.

I'm sure the situation a lot different in other parts of the country but honestly this shit has gone on long enough. They haven't radically changed the world by now so it's probably time to pack up and stop harassing people trying to walk into a building. I wish they would pass a law telling them to stay the hell home if they are just going to be asshats out in public.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, while it seems like I might be defending SCOTUS on this, I'd rather take a different tack with the whole issue.

If a woman's approaching an abortion clinic, and a protestor gets in her way or tries to talk her out of it, she should ask them to leave her alone. If they refuse, that should be immediate grounds for criminal harassment, complete with jail time.

I don't have an issue with someone walking up to a girl, once, and asking her if she's sure of her choice. It's the next step after that which makes them empathy-void shitheads whose actions should be criminal.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you. The only issue is that violence in abortion clinic protests is common. (Read some of the comments on that article).
    I can guarantee you that more violence happens inside the abortion clinic than has ever happened outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbynather View Post
    I can guarantee you that more violence happens inside the abortion clinic than has ever happened outside.
    I can guarantee you more violence has happened outside abortion clinics than has ever happened inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you have to set some kind of number, so how do you do it without some level of arbitrary decision making?
    I think the whole point is you cant have a set distance as in some places when youre 35 feet away, the people who youre trying to get the attention of, wont see you, and in other places it may be too close.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the whole point is you cant have a set distance as in some places when youre 35 feet away, the people who youre trying to get the attention of, wont see you, and in other places it may be too close.
    See, this isn't a legitimate complaint.

You have a right to free speech.

You do not have a right to an audience. You have no right whatsoever to get the attention of any particular individuals, or catch their eyes. That isn't a right, in any way, shape, or form.

Looks like its gona be even harder to get a legal abortion now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcbert View Post
    The public sidewalk is not public property.
    Yes it is. If it wasnt you could bar anyone from walking on the sidewalk in front of your house, or remove it for that matter. Although I do have a problem with the way sidewalks are regarded. They are treated like private property in every way except who has access to use them. If they are in need of repair the owner of the property it is in front of is responsible for repairs (in my state anyway). When it snows, you have 24 hours to remove snow from them, and you cant block them. If I cant decide who gets to walk on them, then the state should be the ones paying for maintenance and repair on them. If I have to take of the repairs and maintenance, then I should have the right to restrict access, let snow stay on it until it melts, or rip it out and plant grass.

I've never understood why these clinics don't just build and design their property to make these kinds of protests impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok so you agree with me this ruling was a bad one then?
    I bet you would say it was a great decision that they struck down this law if instead of it involving abortion clinics, the law prohibited people from protesting within 35 feet of gun stores, or protesting wages in front of Walmart or fast food restaurants, or protesting oil refineries or coal plants

- - - Updated - - -

Then those who are violent should be arrested. You dont throw the whole dozen eggs away because one is cracked

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet you would say it was a great decision that they struck down this law if instead of it involving abortion clinics, the law prohibited people from protesting within 35 feet of gun stores, or protesting wages in front of Walmart or fast food restaurants, or protesting oil refineries or coal plants
    Is there a fairly length history of such protests turning hostile and dangerous to citizens making use of those companies?

No?

So your comparison is entirely bankrupt, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I've never understood why these clinics don't just build and design their property to make these kinds of protests impossible.
    because in many states the legislators set up trap laws on how the building has to be laid out

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you have to set some kind of number, so how do you do it without some level of arbitrary decision making?
    The goal of a legitimate buffer zone, in my mind, is one large enough to allow unrestricted entrance and egress. The one that was upheld previously was eight feet.

Another point that was brought up was that the 35-foot rule was only being enforced against anti-abortion protesters- not pro-life advocates.
    indignantgoat.com/
    XBL: Indignant Goat | BattleTag: IndiGoat#1288 | SteamID: Indignant Goat[/B]

10+ Year Old Account
    Oorlong assembly rights are and always have been subject to regulation.
    And in this case the Supreme court decided in this situation regulation was wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Then those who are violent should be arrested. You dont throw the whole dozen eggs away because one is cracked
    I must have missed the long history of intimidation and terrorism in those cases. Abortion providers and people seeking them deserve extra protection based off of a historical status as targets.