Poll: Two scenarios. Pick one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    A because it actually gives me a clear direction. If I got into a game and there was no immediate task, I would wander about clicking on things until some objective made itself known. In your B scenario there is no objective. You just hope players would feel compelled to buy a piece of gear, realise they need a dropped currency, and then go out and grind it without being asked to. The thing is, that without an objective you are going to confuse people. I might not know where the mobs are, I might miss the vendor, I might think "I don't need/want that piece of armor because it's ugly/has bad stats for me/reasons" and decide the grind isn't worth it. What then? I just log out because I have no direction and don't know what I'm supposed to be doing if not just grinding mobs to buy pieces of armor.

There's no real difference, honestly.

Also, OP, voting will be biased, as you put much more thought and detail into option B (your obvious choice) and A was left bland and uninteresting.

In theory, B sounds better because its more immersive and 'makes sense', but in practice... your bags get filled with a bunch of junk... and you gotta go to various websites to see what can be turned in for worthwhile items, and where to get it from, and what is simply wasting space.

The only way B becomes preferable is when the 'wolf skins' in question and one of a select type of currencies (such as in Eve). I think almost every game has gold drops from mobs, that can purchase rewards from vendors, which describes whats actually happening here, without the extra hassle of having to describe every last part you harvest from the wolf after killing it.

C: I want people to come and see i am covered in gore from killing shit and approach me with offers for shit i might have collected while doing so. THEN have that approach lead to bigger and better things! "oh i see you have been clearing out those pesky rats in the sewers for us.. well there are also these highly aggressive bums down there that robbed me, That I would really appreciate you dealign with"

Biased polls suck too btw.
    Last edited by Tastyfish; 2014-06-26 at 08:49 PM.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

A. Mostly because it's clear the OP is pushing for B and I don't like push polls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I know it's kinda in vogue right now to hate on the "Exclamation Point" questing paradigm, but just scrapping the entire thing and going back to the EQ world of simply sitting at Orc 2 and grinding XP really doesn't sound any more appealing.
    I was never an EQ player, but I have a friend who was into it for years. The irony is that according to him, there WERE quests in EQ. Granted I believe he also said they sucked, but they were there. But lots of people have no idea because there was no exclamation point. IE, you simply had to wander around talking to everybody in hopes of finding a dude who has something for you to do.

That sounds a lot like what B is describing to me. It's slightly better in the sense that apparently it's a vendor and not any old NPC to search for, but at its heart it's "hope to find the guy who will reward you for something you do or may have already did."

The obvious bias against A aside, I'd much prefer a system of clear progression where I know what I am supposed to do, where, and where to go next. As somebody points out, B is nothing but a grind; A at least has the possibility to tell a story.

More importantly --

In other words, there are more options than just, "More WoW" or "Go back to EQ".
    -- this is exactly right. The best option, to me, is option A except it has nothing at all to do with X number of wolf pelts or ogre foreskins. Gathering quests are inherently boring. Find a way to make that quest more engaging, tie it into the over-arching story you're trying to tell, and make it interesting.

A.

Both work fine for a silly "go collect N wolf pelts" kind of quest, but the kind of scenario in A is much better for quest series with an actual storyline and events that you take part in, rather than just being thrown randomly into the world with no set path and no real storyline.

"Sandbox" or "open world" is a negative label for an MMO, in my opinion. Every now and then those kinds of games have their moments, but for the most part, the terms are synonymous with "grindy and pointless". I like my challenges to come in the form of "takes 60 hours to complete because you will fail over and over again until you get it right" rather than "takes 60 hours to complete because you have to collect 10,000 of the thing".

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't care about either of these scenarios, I would just hammer shiftclick/whatever to see the item preview of an orc foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

To me option B is less immersive while I enjoy playing Guild Wars 2 for the most part when working on a Heart I tend to end up asking myself why I'm doing this stuff for them since the lore with them is very light and you don't even need to talk to anyone to start working on their heart. Timeless Isle was even worse.

Deleted
    Voted B but I really like the RPG aspects of MMOs.

While option B is a lot better, it would be better still if you could a) burn down the village and wear John's skin as a trophy b) be a mighty hero, help the village, purge the land of evil etc. or c) settle and become a merchant or a farmer, then sell your stuff, buy a house etc.

I'm not a fan of leveling/questing in general, however, option B seems the more fluid/versatile one.

I like option C.) I do what I want (B), but if someone asks me a favor (A) I'll do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, there were technically quests, but they were few and far between and most of them were utterly useless. Though the Epic Weapon quests were a neat idea.
    Coldain Ring quest was great.

I see how you slanted this. Which game are you shilling for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Questing is pretty popular. Personally I rather pick up a gathering profession such as skinning and venture out into the wilderness.