Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

[Megathread] Divinity Original Sin. Old school RPG !

So, you missed up that Baldur's Gate times ? You really want to have your fix fixed NOW ? ...

I discovered this game some weeks ago random surfing in the web. I started to dig in it and eventually i bought it.

This is a old school RPG, with VERY deep exploration, interaction and a mind blowing co-op playing. You can, for example, put out the fire with water, move objects, set oil on fire, KILL ALMOST EVERY NPC IN THE WORLD, combine everything you want.

You can make your own items (By combining, for example, a shovel and a dagger, and you got your first pike ! ).

The game releases 30th June. I will update this post with screenshots soon. If you want to now more, start digging up here !

www*divinityoriginalsin*com (Sry for the link i can't post full links yet ^^ )

10+ Year Old Account
    Only played a little bit so far and I do love it. Word of warning though, they are wiping all progress at launch on the 30th.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

It's a good game. Just a little slow going story-wise and perhaps not as deep/exploit heavy as BG was. Which may be a good or bad thing depending on POV.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-06-27 at 03:07 AM.

I've been watching this and hoping it turns out decent. Larian has a penchant for making games that are almost good, but not quite.

This game is amazing and what I am most excited about is the editor that's launching today. The first proper easy to use RPG editor since NWN toolkit to make my own stuff for solo and MP? Hell yeah!
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I've been staying away as best I can for the last 6 months, trying to avoid spoilers. I can't wait to play the final release tomorrow!

Did they fix the camera yet? Last time I played a few months ago, half the scenes were like this:

Or, to specify my problem, roughly half the screenspace in pretty much every single scene was occupied by both background and foreground elements that manage to block important details like interactable objects, NPCs, and even the player character (which is indeed, in addition to many other important elements that should be visible, completely obstructed in my screenshot here, hidden by a pointless foreground element that should be 90% transparent automatically as a consequence of my character walking near it).

It honestly made the game completely unenjoyable for me.

Don't feel like re-downloading it just to find out.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

You can now rotate camera

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I am monitoring this thread.

Game looks good. Is it viable as a single player game or does it force you to co-op?

It's viable single player. You'll just control 2 characters instead of one during dialogue options and such, essentially roleplaying with yourself.

Deleted
    I am looking forward to this. It has been a while since I played Old school RPG.

Well did play Shadowrunners Returns, but it was kind of short and dont like the future settings too much.

I actually bought BG2 to play it again on steam sale. Will get this some time later once it's out.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    You can now rotate camera
    If I wanted to play a hidden object game, I'd play a hidden object game.

But I take from your response that they have indeed not fixed this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I am monitoring this thread.

Game looks good. Is it viable as a single player game or does it force you to co-op?
    It's a single player game with optional co-op.

But I take from your response that they have indeed not fixed this.
    It didn't need "fixing", per se. It's their design decision. Not a flaw in gameplay. It is part of the operation of the game as the developers intend.

One's relation to that decision may simply not be harmonious to the design. Which is fine, but these are not "flaws" or broken things. They are simply things which one may not like as much as other things.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-06-30 at 03:20 PM.

Deleted
    bought the game ages ago on the alpha stage.. is it fully released now? might have to go back and have a look.

When does the game release tonight? is it at 10 a.m. PDT?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It didn't need "fixing", per se. It's their design decision. Not a flaw in gameplay. It is part of the operation of the game as the developers intend.

One's relation to that decision may simply not be harmonious to the design. Which is fine, but these are not "flaws" or broken things. They are simply things which one may not like as much as other things.
    If it functioned as they intended then objects blocking gameplay elements wouldn't arbitrarily fade in and out to make the elements behind them easier to see.

It's clear that was their design goal, but they simply do not have the competence to code the game well enough to make this experience seamless rather than obnoxious. This is something that should absolutely be fixed before release, not dismissed as a "design decision" because they couldn't figure out how to fix it so they let you rotate the camera instead.

Either that, or they have multiple people with different visions working on designing the exact same part of the game, which would be even more incompetently managed.

It works with the camera rotation though. It's not obtrusive or game breaking. Simply part of the modus of play.