Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mrn, I have to respectfully disagree by your statement of saying that prot dmg is as good as ret. In reality, its not and prot dmg is far behind any other tanks dmg by a large margin.

After putting in many hrs on the beta for the expansion, I am honestly dumbfounded by Blizzards implementation of Resolve and here is why. From the looks of things on paper, they want tanks to somewhat help with self heals in encounters with this mechanic but the major problem is this - Every tank that is not a Bear Druid or DK suffer greatly from the mechanic. Dks Death Strike heal can be used multiple times in succession and heal for a great amount **** instantly **** Same with Bear Druids. Paladins, Prot Warriors and Monks all suffer greatly because of the lack of any similar capability. Monks 1 cast time heal lacks any oomph, any of the healing tier talents are pathetic, overall monks are suffering the most from both taking dmg and lack of abilities to heal themselves with. Same with Paladins, Flash doesn't bring any oomph even with a built up resolve. And Prot warriors I think suffer the greatest. The only ability that will be effected by resolve is the absorption that costs rage. Overall, Blizzard has fucked tanks in a massive way which I think is odd seeing as how tanks are the backbone of any group/raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMaria View Post
    One other question regarding bonus armor: is it true that items with bonus armor will share primary stats? ie: a bonus armor neck drops and a monk tank sees it with agility while the warrior see the same item but with strength?
    Yes. All tanking necks/rings/cloaks have both str and agi on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternewt View Post
    So basically every other tank that is not a paladin. How fun.
    Yeah well no need to look too much into the numbers. Some will need a paladin, some a warrior. I bet it will be like MoP ( dont know if thats good or bad, didnt go prot in mop ). I personally like the Prot Pally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Euroguy View Post
    Yeah well no need to look too much into the numbers. Some will need a paladin, some a warrior. I bet it will be like MoP ( dont know if thats good or bad, didnt go prot in mop ). I personally like the Prot Pally.
    Yeah, sure, if all you intend to do is fuck around with it as an alt, then I get what you're saying, but coming into a forum frequented mostly by hardcore raiders and saying "numbers don't matter lol some will need warr some will need pala lol" is like walking into a Tyneside bar and saying "some liek Newcastle some liek Sunderland doesn't matter lawl".

We take our game balance seriously here, thank you very much.

Hmm I might been looking at level 90. Preach just loaded a tank video maybe someone want to watch if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Extremeties View Post
    Mrn, I have to respectfully disagree by your statement of saying that prot dmg is as good as ret. In reality, its not and prot dmg is far behind any other tanks dmg by a large margin.

After putting in many hrs on the beta for the expansion, I am honestly dumbfounded by Blizzards implementation of Resolve and here is why. From the looks of things on paper, they want tanks to somewhat help with self heals in encounters with this mechanic but the major problem is this - Every tank that is not a Bear Druid or DK suffer greatly from the mechanic. Dks Death Strike heal can be used multiple times in succession and heal for a great amount **** instantly **** Same with Bear Druids. Paladins, Prot Warriors and Monks all suffer greatly because of the lack of any similar capability. Monks 1 cast time heal lacks any oomph, any of the healing tier talents are pathetic, overall monks are suffering the most from both taking dmg and lack of abilities to heal themselves with. Same with Paladins, Flash doesn't bring any oomph even with a built up resolve. And Prot warriors I think suffer the greatest. The only ability that will be effected by resolve is the absorption that costs rage. Overall, Blizzard has fucked tanks in a massive way which I think is odd seeing as how tanks are the backbone of any group/raid.
    Of course it's all pointless now after the massive ret buffs, but bear in mind I was playing protection with a 2h and glyph of harsh words. Harsh words was hitting harder than ret mastery at the time and the attack power plus harsh words damage compensated for the lack of tv. This was not really a reflection of how good protection was so much as an indication of how bad ret was

Preach's view on Protection Paladin http://youtu.be/35_4HGW84CA?t=3m38s.

He talks good about the classes in this video, Prot Paladin 2nd best tank after Warrior for him.

Top raiders (I have seen it from Rigg + Treckie both) have argued that paladins right now are behind only warriors. Assuming nothing changes between now and WoD we should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    I don't see why preach's opinion is relevant to anyone who's made it past lfr.
    People who lack conviction need reassurance, that's pretty much the story of most of the wow playerbase.

Preach gives a basic information about the class. Alot of things he say is the things people ask for.

"Are they viable? Should I play one? Do people need one?"

Deleted
    Preach gives a basic information about the class. Alot of things he say is the things people ask for.

Preach is the last person in the world anyone should listen to with regards to whether a class is viable. He may have an idiosyncratic and endearing way of talking out of his ass, but that doesn't change the fact that he does mostly talk straight out of his ass.

Deleted
    I see a lot of top parsing prot pallies stacking haste still, even though I keep hearing haste is bad. Is haste still the best for dps up until 50%?
    Personally I'm going for crit>haste>mastery right now for dps purposes, but in a raid I'm still getting to 47% haste and wondering if it would be worth it to gem for the last 3%?
    And also, with 1 amp trinket how much haste rating do I need to get to haste cap now?

15+ Year Old Account
    Biggest thing that puts prot paladin/prot warrior ahead of other tanks at 100 is they have % based mitigation. DK/monk and such depend a lot more on resolve (paladin/warrior use resolve quite a bit also but nowhere near as much) which in the current system, at least for mythic DR's horribly to the point of basically being useless on harder hitting bosses or bosses that gain frenzy effects. Once DK's/monks get geared though they're really good but as a tank you aren't typically the first one geared.

Outside early mythic progression all the tanks are really close to the point of not mattering.

Don't know if this is honestly gonna change at any point before raids come out as it requires a lot of rework for the resolve system and they seem to be ignoring feedback on these issues for some reason.

I'm sure a lot of people in this thread are wondering about that (btw ppl you described fit the "never got past lfr category")

And afaik the only top raiders prot paladins are lazel and jello (at least who's opinion matters)

Quote Originally Posted by Draggi View Post
    I see a lot of top parsing prot pallies stacking haste still, even though I keep hearing haste is bad. Is haste still the best for dps up until 50%?
    Personally I'm going for crit>haste>mastery right now for dps purposes, but in a raid I'm still getting to 47% haste and wondering if it would be worth it to gem for the last 3%?
    And also, with 1 amp trinket how much haste rating do I need to get to haste cap now?
    I run 36.50% haste unbuffed - Haste Elixir/Armor Elixir + 31 Haste food = 50.3% or so haste.

If you don't run those it should be around 43.5% with a str/stam flask and stam/str food.

All with just thoks at 582 for me (WF IS FAKE )

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    And afaik the only top raiders prot paladins are lazel and jello (at least who's opinion matters)
    I wish I was a real prot pally like Lazel!

The glyph of concentration looks awesome!

Deleted
    Preach's view on Protection Paladin http://youtu.be/35_4HGW84CA?t=3m38s.

He talks good about the classes in this video
    No. No he does not.

Been using armor & crit elixirs with str food. Part of me wants to try out some different gearing strats, the other part of me doesn't care because Mythic Garrosh is a 1shot without telling half the raid (all the newbies who hadn't seen it on previous Heroic) any of the tactics so I could probably wear full cloth and still have the boss killed.
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2014-10-21 at 04:16 AM.