Poll: Are you tired of the human/orc architecture everywhere?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the thing is, I don't doubt that garrisons and such make sense for Horde and Alliance architecture looking like orc and human stuff considering when someone says either of those factions names, you think red-roofed spiked buildings for one and blue-roofed medieval/fantasy human stuff for the other.

It's just tiring to see the other races that are part of the two factions not get to show off more of their architectural expertise. Though some of it shows with vehicles.

One thing that really gets me is why there aren't more, or at least slightly more blood elf-looking portions in settlements/outposts/towns. I really like Silvermoon's architecture and am kind of saddened to not see it as much. Would I want to see only that type of stuff all the time? No. But spiky red roofs get old after a while to be frank. Same deal for Alliance. :|

One other thing that would be neat to see is more towns akin to Thundermar in Twilight Highlands, the Dwarf Hobbit hole-types of buildings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    If it really does take as long as they say to copy/paste other faction's artwork across and neaten it up a bit, then for now i'm fine with Stormwind/Orgrimmar look-alike garrisons, as boring as they are. They simply don't catch my eye anymore - my eyes slide over them as if nothing's there, which is a shame. Hopefully they'll work something out and give us more variety sometime.

I actually wondered ever since I first saw previews of Garrisons why they went with the singlestyle architecture. I get it that it would take time and resources to make entirely distinct garrisons for 13 different races, but they could have at least mixed them a bit. Like a human barracks, a dwarven blacksmith, a gnome engineering thingy, a n'elven moon well / orc barracks, forsaken alchemist, tauren totem etc. Would have promoted the feeling of Alliance vs. Horde with greater precision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You claim to play a Tauren and in the same sentence you say TAUREN are barbaric? do you even know the meaning of the word -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbaric ?
    Taurens are the only peaceful guys in the Hode.
    This was funny. Did you even read the first paragraph on that page?
    Tauren are barbaric, they are a non-urban civilisation. Their only real city is TB, and it looks and feels like a bigger camp. Back in War3 they used to migrate around the Barrens, and their architecture looks like something they would build as temporary settlements (wood and kodoskin tent-like structures). From the point of view of the Alliance races (and even forsaken / blood elves), tauren are as barbaric as it gets.
    Sure, we use the word barbaric to depict violent tendencies sometimes, but its cover is larger than that, especially when used to describe cultures (barbaric) instead of individuals (barbarian). Sorry for off-topic (I also like tauren)!

10+ Year Old Account
    Only tired of such because of the Orc Garrison design doesn't fit the Blood Elves much. Loving the Alliance side more... but I am mostly a Hordie...
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    They can add other races architecture through out patches, and maybe even expansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

A Troll leads the Horde and we're still stuck with Orc buildings.

Deleted
    They said they cut out that feature due to time restraints, you want more garrisons at the cost of a raid tier???

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vexew View Post
    They said they cut out that feature due to time restraints, you want more garrisons at the cost of a raid tier???
    No. I want garrisons with distinct racial styles and the raid tier.
    If other games with teams a tenth of Blizzard can do it with less money, so can Blizzard.
    At this point I'm no longer willing to accept them cutting corners to make subpar content that also comes late. If it came early, I might have accepted it being slightly cut. If it comes late, I expect it to have quality. Having garrisons of a single racial style (and some other cuts to WoD) are not acceptable in that regard, as, in my view, they lower the quality while also coming late with the content.

While at Blizzcon I was actually thinking of buying WoD, I'm getting more and more negative opinions and my interest is diminished to the point that now I'm wondering if it's even worth buying this expansion. So, raid tier and racial differences in garrisons.

Deleted
    Only going to do the bare minimum Garrison stuff (Only the stuff you have to do to advance the story/quests etc.) so i don´t really care.

No, i don't really mind because i like those architectures. (even if i don't like the races)
    Also, from a rp pov, garrison's buildings need to be made quickly (SAVAGE world) but they also need to be resilient/practical in time of war. Imo Human/Orc buildings are those with the best ratio for this definition.
    Horde side : BE/Undead i think would require too much time (materials seems precisely refined, carved), Troll/Tauren aren't resilient/practical enough. Goblin...just...no.
    Alliance side : NE/Worgen/Draenei same as BE/Undead, Dwarf same as Troll/Tauren. Gnome...just...no.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    well i say orcs/undead for me is best...hated every other race's structures...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    A Troll leads the Horde and we're still stuck with Orc buildings.
    Probably because they want them to be able to last. Unlike Darkspear structures that couldn't even handle a strong wind.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

I understand there are time constraints so naturally they can't make a Garrison in the style of each race. It's taking them enough to even make 2 styles. 13 racial styles would just take too long.

That said, the Garrison was an ideal chance to show off a united Horde/Alliance, by having racially themed buildings. Unfortunately, that's barely happening. Every orc building is a circular spike pit. Except strangely the Workshop, which is completely in Goblin style, rather than a fused style.

There's one building that just pisses me off completely though:

Orc Mage Tower.

Orcs barely even have mages. There limitless possibility for a cool-looking arcane structure. And especially Sin'dorei influence would be extremely logical. Instead we get... that monstrosity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to find a picture of the mage tower for Horde but I can't seem to find it. If that picture is what it looks like in-game though, it's kinda...derpy. What tier is it? 1, 2 or 3?

The Alliance one looks like this iirc:

When I look at that I pretty much go, "Yep, I can see mages poring through books in it." The Horde one, even though that picture is kinda tiny, kind of looks like towers you'd find in AV or something.
    Last edited by Ryuji; 2014-07-06 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

Yes, we've been stuck with stormwind/org looking architecture since Cata.

Will be great if you can transmog your garrison or individual buildings. Mb buy recipes for reputation from orc clans/draenei/other races in Draenor.

Ideally I'd want my race's buildings, but I would be happy with Draenei buildings given that we are working with them, and given the initial location (Shadowmoon). The human buildings aren't as bad as the orc huts to me. Those bug me more.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing with different Garrison types.

It is not a "negligible" amount of work. It's not "we'll do one or two every day and get it done in a few weeks."

If they were to make different models for every race and every upgrade, they would have to make over 900 building models. Frankly, I'd wager that's about as many as were added throughout the entirety of BC, WotLK, and Cataclysm combined.

Garrisons are conventional Horde/Alliance outposts. No reason for Blizzard to do that undue amount of work. It's not a realistic option.

Now, that being said... I really see no reason to have normal human/orc forts for our capitols out on some godforsaken rock, seeing as two different, far superior options already exist in-game and are for all intents and purposes basically completed.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2014-07-05 at 09:11 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Undead are the only Horde race that don't design and layout their stuff like complete morons. Orc architecture at least got a facelift in Cata so it's better than what the Tauren culture has to offer but they need to put an Undead as foreman of all garrison, outpost and future capital construction, so it's not, you know, stupid.

Alliance side they similarly need to let a dwarf be in charge, no matter who's labor is involved or architecture style chosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Here's the thing with different Garrison types.

It is not a "negligible" amount of work. It's not "we'll do one or two every day and get it done in a few weeks."

If they were to make different models for every race and every upgrade, they would have to make over 900 building models. Frankly, I'd wager that's about as many as were added throughout the entirety of BC, WotLK, and Cataclysm combined.
    Actually, it wouldn't be a hardship if Blizzard invested in a procedural approach to asset creation. I'm not saying they don't have that but none of the race architectures couldn't be proceduralized such that expansion and the creation of new assets wasn't practically automatic, dealing with terrain and a variety of construction variables. In fact it wouldn't be difficult for each and every player to have aspects that were character specifically unique even across multiple toons of the same faction and same race.

Work smarter, not harder.
    Last edited by BurnetRhoades; 2014-07-05 at 10:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnetRhoades View Post
    Actually, it wouldn't be a hardship if Blizzard invested in a procedural approach to asset creation. I'm not saying they don't have that but none of the race architectures couldn't be proceduralized such that expansion and the creation of new assets wasn't practically automatic, dealing with terrain and a variety of construction variables. In fact it wouldn't be difficult for each and every player to have aspects that were character specifically unique even across multiple toons of the same faction and same race.

Work smarter, not harder.
    Except then they have to build a make building generator. And then make all the constituent art assets anyway. Some races, like the Tauren, haven't received an art asset update in... ever.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.