Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Merlin, is it any good?

I'm trying to find a good fantasy show to watch on Netflix. I'm thinking about trying Merlin. Is it worth watching, and if not what is a good fantasy show on Netflix?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes! It took me a while to get into it though, some of the effects can be, not too great. But it's like Doctor Who in the sense that when you look past them/get used to them you'll enjoy it.

Deleted
    The Doctor Who comparison is a good one - Merlin was designed to fill the same kind of family viewing slot. Personally, I enjoyed it - I liked the relationships between the characters, as they are done with humor, affection and are well acted imo. It's rather Harry Potter-ish in that regard, focusing on the relationships of young people. The stories seemed to alternate between some quite decent, mildly thrilling episodes and others that were cringeworthily awful (e.g. farting goblins). Sadly, the series ended just as Arthur and Merlin were assuming their legendary roles, which is a downer, although I guess the series was destined just to be an "early years" Smallville type thing.

I am not sure what else is on Netflix - I think there's the most recent Robin Hood, which is medieval if not fantasy. It's perhaps more adult and straight, but less amusing and has a weak lead actor (Robin in the hoodie, was the vibe they were going for, but he is charisma free imo). The Maid Marion and Sir Guy of Gisborne are fanstastically acted however - and their dubious "romance" really deserved its own show, without the drab Robin interfering. (Gisborne went on to act Thorin in the hobbit, while Marion vamped it up in True Blood).

15+ Year Old Account
    One thing i forgot to mention, is that it's a show where you most likely will get bored if you do what i do and watch all of the episodes back to back, most episodes are filler, so if you do give it a try keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im in the middle of season 2 right now. Its okay. Ive seen better and worse, but I can see how it only has 5 seasons. I think I will probably watch it all, but not back to back. Im also watching the clone wars and and house to fill in the gaps.

Deleted
    Amazing show, terrible ending. Im not going to spoil it for you but seriously?

I was under the impression it hadn't ended yet.

My partner was/is a fan and used to watch them next to me when I was playing games so I have a sort of "second hand" experience of it; enough that I kind awant to watch "the ending"... but yeah I thought they had another season planned but it has been delayed (possibly forever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Merlin was...alright I suppose better than most, not quite up to snuff in my eyes but definitely watchable.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Yes! It took me a while to get into it though, some of the effects can be, not too great. But it's like Doctor Who in the sense that when you look past them/get used to them you'll enjoy it.
    Both awful shows with way too much hype going for 'em. 90's Buffy was 10x as enjoyable as any Dr. Who has ever been. Can't recommend much as far as fantasy on Netflix, but if you haven't seen the big ones (AMC) then look no further.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Amazing show, terrible ending. Im not going to spoil it for you but seriously?
    If the show doesn't end with Merlin being old, taking up with a youngster and ending up trapped under a tree then it's a failure.

Hell yes. I just recently finished it myself, It didn't seem that great to me at first but when I actually started it... Holy sh!t, I was hooked by the first episode. You'll love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    If the show doesn't end with Merlin being old, taking up with a youngster and ending up trapped under a tree then it's a failure.
    Merlin basically spends this show being a bit of a moronic jackass who needs help for every little thing.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Merlin basically spends this show being a bit of a moronic jackass who needs help for every little thing.
    Hes 16-20. Everyone is a moron at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Well that much I knew, I was specifically talking about the ending.

I only watched through the first couple episodes before I poured a 40 for all the good takes on Arthurian Legend rolling in their graves.

I found Merlin incredibly boring. And the characters are all mixed up to be different roles than who they "originally" were.

i like it. like dr who + sword in the stone

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a childrens show, so story and content will be limited to appropriate material, and the thought processes of major characters are rather stupid, but beyond that its pretty decent.

Well, except Gwen is nowhere near as hot as she should be. I'd thrown that bitch to the wolves for Morgana in an instant.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    It is a childrens show, so story and content will be limited to appropriate material, and the thought processes of major characters are rather stupid, but beyond that its pretty decent.

Well, except Gwen is nowhere near as hot as she should be. I'd thrown that bitch to the wolves for Morgana in an instant.
    No way man! Gwen is gorgeous compared to Morgana and those beaver teeth.

This. I liked it as a show I would watch an episode of here and there when randomly turning on the TV when I was youngier, but not something I would want to watch from beginning to end. Legend of the Seeker, aka The Sword of Truth, was pretty similair. It was a fantasy serie that filled that same niche as Merlin, except that it was waaay more interesting. Still, that show also had it's flaws, but the overall quality made it watchable from start to end. It's on Netflix if you want to check it out, I believe two seasons were made.

When thinking about it, I can't think of a single "mature/serious" TV show set in a fantasy setting. There are many sci-fi shows, but I would love to see something with the tone of Game of Thrones or Battlestar Galactica in a fantasy setting (No, I don't consider GoT to be fantasy, not even close to enough mystique and magic).
    Last edited by ThrashMetalFtw; 2014-07-10 at 12:04 AM.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it a lot, but eventually during the third (iirc) it started to be veeeery dull. Pointless sidestories that did not develop the story at all. Then the last season picked up a bit again, yet the final two episodes were a bit lackluster... I liked the ending scene though.

The series deserved more, imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    No way man! Gwen is gorgeous compared to Morgana and those beaver teeth.
    Hear hear!