Page 1 of 2
LastLast

people these days...

http://lancasteronline.com/business/...a4bcf6878.html

long story short - shes suing her boss because rush hour contributes to her anxiety... that poor child, the world should stop what we doing and make sure shes okay.

7+ Year Old Account
    The suing culture in america is fucking disgusting.

Deleted
    she wanted to go to work after rush hour in the morning and leave before rush hour in the afternoon.... i think her case will fall apart when asked why not go to work before rush hour and leave after...

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    The suing culture in america is fucking disgusting.
    In this case of the business didn't follow the law the case is valid.

Damit, she took my idea.

Deleted
    There is just not enough information in that article to develop and informed judgement and take a side.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post

long story short - shes suing her boss because rush hour contributes to her anxiety... that poor child, the world should stop what we doing and make sure shes okay.
    Short story made longer;

Under doctor's orders she asked for her hours to be adjusted to avoid rush hour, the suit claims that is a "reasonable accommodation" under New Jersey law.
    The company initially agreed, then changed their mind.
    The company changed her duties from marketing to clerical, she complains to their ethics board, they fire her.
    She sues them for wrongful dismissal.

What is it with people these days missing out relevant facts to make a story seem more sensational?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Short story made longer;

Under doctor's orders she asked for her hours to be adjusted to avoid rush hour, the suit claims that is a "reasonable accommodation" under New Jersey law.
    The company initially agreed, then changed their mind.
    The company changed her duties from marketing to clerical, she complains to their ethics board, they fire her.
    She sues them for wrongful dismissal.

What is it with people these days missing out relevant facts to make a story seem more sensational?
    It wouldn't get as many posts.

That's screwed up for them to do that though.

10+ Year Old Account

That is not what she's doing.

She says what she did was ask her company to allow her to avoid rush hour due to the problems it contributed to her attempt to overcome depression and anxiety and they refused. When she complained, they fired her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post

She says what she did was ask her company to allow her to avoid rush hour due to the problems it contributed to her attempt to overcome depression and anxiety and they refused. When she complained, they fired her.
    The solution is simple, come to work early and leave later.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused. I suffer form fairly severe anxiety myself, but I've been advised by qualified people that the best way to overcome that is to force your way through it and not to coddle the anxiety.

I don't think think they should have fired her for complaining, but I think she was being kind of silly for wanting to accommodate what is usually treated by tackling it head on.

Deleted

And that kids is why you join a union.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The solution is simple, come to work early and leave later.
    That's one solution but apparently they said she couldn't.

I did that once, myself, as a developer for a company in Waukegan while I lived in Chicago. Then my boss decided that any hours between 7:45am and 4pm I wasn't there (I was coming in later and leaving later) I shouldn't get paid for (despite being salary and really clocking 55+ hours a week) and started deducting, post-tax, those hours from my paychecks. Led to me getting evicted and losing my car before I was able to get a new position elsewhere and recoup some of my lost wages.

You'd be surprised what companies will do.

Deleted
    That's one solution but apparently they said she couldn't.

I did that once, myself, as a developer for a company in Waukegan while I lived in Chicago. Then my boss decided that any hours between 7:45am and 4pm I wasn't there (I was coming in later and leaving later) I shouldn't get paid for (despite being salary and really clocking 55+ hours a week) and started deducting, post-tax, those hours from my paychecks. Led to me getting evicted and losing my car before I was able to get a new position elsewhere and recoup some of my lost wages.

You'd be surprised what companies will do.
    You don't have to actually work early or keep working after, just dont clock in early or clock out at normal time and wait a bit before leaving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I'm a bit confused. I suffer form fairly severe anxiety myself, but I've been advised by qualified people that the best way to overcome that is to force your way through it and not to coddle the anxiety.

I don't think think they should have fired her for complaining, but I think she was being kind of silly for wanting to accommodate what is usually treated by tackling it head on.
    But do you think "tackling it head on" is a smart idea when you're behind the wheel of a 3000+ pound piece of metal, surrounded by other giant pieces of metal with people inside?

Deleted
    When she complained, they fired her.
    She also received a a poor performance review previously.

I don't see how a person like her can work in a position where you need to interact with people if you have anxiety in "crowded spaces".

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    She also received a a poor performance review previously.
    Which she says is unfairly tied to her medical leave.

I don't see how a person like her can work in a position where you need to interact with people if you have anxiety in "crowded spaces".
    It doesn't say that's what she has, her anxiety was "aggravated by crowded roadways".

Her case has merit. Companies shouldn't treat their employees like shit. They should've been up front with her and refused the accommodation not start a chain of assholish events after they agreed to accommodate her. I honestly hope she wins her case not that it will change much.

Guessing you don't really know what it's like to live with an anxiety disorder if you're going to go around making statements like that last bit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Which she says is unfairly tied to her medical leave.

It doesn't say that's what she has, her anxiety was "aggravated by crowded roadways".
    It is shit but it is how the real world works, employers do not want people that take a lot of time off or perform poorly due to medical problems.