Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What good has President Obama done? Especialy foreign policy wise?

By no means am I a supporter of President Obama, but surely every president has done at least one positive thing while in office. Unfortunately, I keep drawing a blank when it comes to his 'accomplishments' (or lack thereof). I'm more focused on foreign policy than anything else, but I'm also willing to look at his domestic accomplishments.

In regards to foreign policy, he has alienated most of our allies and partners around the world. In Europe he fumbled the Ukraine crisis and has done little to promote closer ties with NATO members and NATO expansion. In the Middle East & Islamic world he has been incredibly critical of Israel and has strained our long-standing friendship, not to mention his refusal to push Congress towards making meaningful steps towards supporting the Egyptian military government (or even his doing so without Congress). This is to say nothing of the fact that Afghanistan and Iraq are potentially falling to anti-NATO terrorist groups. In Southeast Asia, Obama insulted Singapore and our other ASEAN allies by not attending the 2013 ASEAN summit. He even went a strep further by not pushing Congress to recognize the new military government of Thailand (even though it will almost certainly revert to civilian control before too long).

On the domestic side he has almost no record of which to speak. His largest accomplishment was the pushing through of Obamacare, which is a mixed bag at best; some bad ideas and some good ones. Even with Obamacare, it remains to be seen whether or not the new law will be worth it. He has done virtually nothing to improve the economy or reduce out debt, while simultaneously allowing the government to shut down (though it is up for debate whether he should take the brunt of the blame for that). When it comes to social issues, his government has been on the wrong side of the gun control debate (though he has failed to do anything about it) and has done virtually nothing to help gay rights and the pro-choice movement.

I am really trying to think of a major, positive accomplishment of this president, but it is incredibly difficult. Perhaps some of my fellow MMO-Champions, many of whom are quite fond of President Obama, could help me think of something positive about this president?
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2014-06-28 at 06:40 PM.

Deleted
    He won the Noble peace prize, what an inspiration.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    He won the Noble peace prize, what an inspiration.
    Who hasn't won one?

He tried to do a lot of things but congress cock blocked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    Who hasn't won one?
    All of us?

It depends on what you consider good. Some people would say his healthcare thing was a good step, some would hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    He tried to do a lot of things but congress cock blocked him.
    People are weird... they look to the president to blame for everything with ignoring the entire house.

Not a supporter of the man either.

But he has done some good, just not lots of it and not major good.

As far as foreign police goes, there wasn't too much for him to do and what little he could do he still fucked that up. He couldn't end the war straight away, he was screwed whether he stayed or went on that one. The NSA stuff predated him but here he could honestly done some good if he had actually did his job and held them accountable but he failed. On this one, I am actually wondering if they are pulling the strings on him as they were actually watching him closely before he ever even entered the running.

As far as local, most I can really say is he slowed down the deficit from what it was under Bush, but again, nowhere near as much as he should have.

For ACA, like you said, it is a mixed bag and, as far as I am concerned, a stop-gap to actually single payer like it should have been from the beginning.

Now, here comes the big question, if he didn't have the party of no blocking everything, what kind of president would he have been? That is any ones guess. But I honestly think it would have been better than this as they seemed to make doubly sure to block anything that actually might made things better just to make sure he didn't look good.

Language in the OP leads me to believe you aren't really looking for his accomplishments and have an interest in his failures.

While I think Obama has been a terrible President in terms of continuing Bush era policies, he's actually done a great deal which you can find with a simple google search of "Obama accomplishments".

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Not a supporter of the man either.

But he has done some good, just not lots of it and not major good.

As far as foreign police goes, there wasn't too much for him to do and what little he could do he still fucked that up. He couldn't end the war straight away, he was screwed whether he stayed or went on that one. The NSA stuff predated him but here he could honestly done some good if he had actually did his job and held them accountable but he failed. On this one, I am actually wondering if they are pulling the strings on him as they were actually watching him closely before he ever even entered the running.

As far as local, most I can really say is he slowed down the deficit from what it was under Bush, but again, nowhere near as much as he should have.

For ACA, like you said, it is a mixed bag and, as far as I am concerned, a stop-gap to actually single payer like it should have been from the beginning.

Now, here comes the big question, if he didn't have the party of no blocking everything, what kind of president would he have been? That is any ones guess. But I honestly think it would have been better than this as they seemed to make doubly sure to block anything that actually might made things better just to make sure he didn't look good.
    I'm not vindicating the actions of House Republicans, but I'd consider failing to work with your own government to be a leadership failure (on both sides).
    Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2014-06-28 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    Abolishing Don't ask Don't tell, this was a legit accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Abolishing Don't ask Don't tell, this was a legit accomplishment.
    I agree, that is one of his few good accomplishments, but I can't say that I'd call it a major one (in the grand scheme of things).

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I'm not vindicating the actions of House Republicans, but I'd consider failing to work with your own government to be a leadership failure (on both sides).
    As much things that the democrats have done to earn their failure, this isn't one of them.

They were actually more than willing to compromise on issues to get stuff done, but the republicans didn't care. Remember, they actually shut the entire government down just because they couldn't get their way entirely on an issue their leader said they would support the previous summer.

They literally were saying no, just to say no on issues.

Let's be honest here though, if he decided to look through everything on that website he would probably rationalize a reason for why it isn't really an accomplishment or it's not actually Obama's accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    By no means am I a supporter of President Obama, but surely every president has done at least one positive thing while in office. Unfortunately, I keep drawing a blank when it comes to his 'accomplishments' (or lack thereof). I'm more focused on foreign policy than anything else, but I'm also willing to look at his domestic accomplishments.

In regards to foreign policy, he has alienated most of our allies and partners around the world. In Europe he fumbled the Ukraine crisis and has done little to promote closer ties with NATO members and NATO expansion. In the Middle East & Islamic world he has been incredibly critical of Israel and has strained our long-standing friendship, not to mention his refusal to push Congress towards making meaningful steps towards supporting the Egyptian military government (or even his doing so without Congress). This is to say nothing of the fact that Afghanistan and Iraq are potentially falling to anti-NATO terrorist groups. In Southeast Asia, Obama insulted Singapore and our other ASEAN allies by not attending the 2013 ASEAN summit. He even went a strep further by not pushing Congress to recognize the new military government of Thailand (even though it will almost certainly revert to civilian control before too long).

On the domestic side he has almost no record of which to speak. His largest accomplishment was the pushing through of Obamacare, which is a mixed bag at best; some bad ideas and some good ones. Even with Obamacare, it remains to be seen whether or not the new law will be worth it. He has done virtually nothing to improve the economy or reduce out debt, while simultaneously allowing the government to shut down (though it is up for debate whether he should take the brunt of the blame for that). When it comes to social issues, his government has been on the wrong side of the gun control debate (though he has failed to do anything about it) and has done virtually nothing to help gay rights and the pro-choice movement.

I am really trying to think of a major, positive accomplishment of this president, but it is incredibly difficult. Perhaps some of my fellow MMO-Champions, many of whom are quite fond of President Obama, could help me think of something positive about this president?
    You're one of those posters that keep on making threads on President Obama.

I'm really wondering whether I should expend the time and effort to try to answer your question, because it seems to me, that you're not interested in discussion, but bashing.

At least you're not vyxn.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Alienated allies? Hardly; most europeans like - or even love - Obama compared to Bush Jr. We were, pretty much, scared shitless the last election whenever the polls looked good for Mitt Romney.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    You're one of those posters that keep on making threads on President Obama.

I'm really wondering whether I should expend the time and effort to try to answer your question, because it seems to me, that you're not interested in discussion, but bashing.

At least you're not vyxn.
    His signature is really all you need to read...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

second one that site "signed a new START treaty" that is a horrid treaty for the US leaving Russia in much better position than we are in terms of deployed warheads, total numbers of warheads, and warhead delivery systems. stopped on that one.

He signed the stolen valor act making it a crime to claim false medals from military service so that is one more good thing. To me its a total failure of an administration that just blames it all on Bush and/or the GOP.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on what you are willing to give him credit for and what you consider good. With even the most basic of the two wars he inherited. Does he deserve credit for executing the plan of his predecessor? Does he get blame for current events as a result?

I think history books would focus on being the first black president, the end of two wars, ACA, the economic recovery contained in the stimulus and Dodd-Frank, the record breaking growth of the Dow and the tea party.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Alienated allies? Hardly; most europeans like - or even love - Obama compared to Bush Jr. We were, pretty much, scared shitless the last election whenever the polls looked good for Mitt Romney.
    at least one leader doesnt like him:
    http://americanpowerblog.blogspot.co...-radoslaw.html (I've others over time as well for the same things.. but CBA to google it all now).
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    second one that site "signed a new START treaty" that is a horrid treaty for the US leaving Russia in much better position than we are in terms of deployed warheads, total numbers of warheads, and warhead delivery systems. stopped on that one.
    Yeah I'd love to see where you got this idea.