Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    second one that site "signed a new START treaty" that is a horrid treaty for the US leaving Russia in much better position than we are in terms of deployed warheads, total numbers of warheads, and warhead delivery systems. stopped on that one.
    See, this is where good is relative. How many nuclear warheads do you think we need and how much do you think it costs to maintain them? Do you think Russia can maintain the cost of upkeep and not sell their arsenal?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    From my (European) point of view his foreign policy has been shit - he is incompetent and over all just not suited for this part of his job (which is major part being a Presidenf of USA).
    He`d be better off working as some Senator or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obama's biggest accomplishment is that he isn't a republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    By no means am I a supporter of President Obama, but surely every president has done at least one positive thing while in office. Unfortunately, I keep drawing a blank when it comes to his 'accomplishments' (or lack thereof). I'm more focused on foreign policy than anything else, but I'm also willing to look at his domestic accomplishments.

In regards to foreign policy, he has alienated most of our allies and partners around the world. In Europe he fumbled the Ukraine crisis and has done little to promote closer ties with NATO members and NATO expansion. In the Middle East & Islamic world he has been incredibly critical of Israel and has strained our long-standing friendship, not to mention his refusal to push Congress towards making meaningful steps towards supporting the Egyptian military government (or even his doing so without Congress). This is to say nothing of the fact that Afghanistan and Iraq are potentially falling to anti-NATO terrorist groups. In Southeast Asia, Obama insulted Singapore and our other ASEAN allies by not attending the 2013 ASEAN summit. He even went a strep further by not pushing Congress to recognize the new military government of Thailand (even though it will almost certainly revert to civilian control before too long).

On the domestic side he has almost no record of which to speak. His largest accomplishment was the pushing through of Obamacare, which is a mixed bag at best; some bad ideas and some good ones. Even with Obamacare, it remains to be seen whether or not the new law will be worth it. He has done virtually nothing to improve the economy or reduce out debt, while simultaneously allowing the government to shut down (though it is up for debate whether he should take the brunt of the blame for that). When it comes to social issues, his government has been on the wrong side of the gun control debate (though he has failed to do anything about it) and has done virtually nothing to help gay rights and the pro-choice movement.

I am really trying to think of a major, positive accomplishment of this president, but it is incredibly difficult. Perhaps some of my fellow MMO-Champions, many of whom are quite fond of President Obama, could help me think of something positive about this president?
    Some of this is positive from points of view other than your own.

Halting the spread of NATO and perceived "American Imperialism" could be moves towards peace, depending on viewpoint.

Presidents don't make domestic policy, they suggest it (and usually get ignored, we have multiple political parties for a reason) and approve it, at best.

Congress makes domestic policy and most of foreign policy.

Obama's accomplishments mirror nearly every other president in the last 160 years: he signed bills. That's just about all the POTUS does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    See, this is where good is relative. How many nuclear warheads do you think we need and how much do you think it costs to maintain them? Do you think Russia can maintain the cost of upkeep and not sell their arsenal?
    NewSTART was a way to for Russia to save its face, US kinda went out of its way to make nice with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daffodily View Post
    NewSTART was a way to for Russia to save its face, US kinda went out of its way to make nice with them.
    How is that?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

If you want to express disappointment, then you would be better pointing blame where it belongs...Congress. The President at best is a bad scapegoat. Until Congress can grow up and actually do the job they were sent to do, we will continue to have this tired rhetoric with X president.
    Aku, Soku, Zan

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny that people make shit up and attack the president saying "he's not a king!!", or "he thinks he's a dictator!". But then blame him for nearly everything that happens in this country and the world, essentially saying that he should be more of a king or dictator o.0
    The president obviously does not have ultimate power, so we can't really blame him for most things.

10+ Year Old Account
    This really isn't an acceptable thread topic, given that it's baiting negative responses.