Just need confirmation

Hey
    a page i have like on just wrote

"Hey guys, this is an IMPORTANT UPDATE, please read.
    It has been for awhile, but if you didn't know, Facebook has changed some of their systems and now not every post we post will appear on your news feed. This is to "encourage" page admins to pay to get their posts noticed. This is not good for anyone (other than Facebook). You guys can't constantly get entertained by our posts, and our posts can't reach you guys."

I thought facebook said "It's free and always will be"

So is the page just pulling facts out of their ass or does facebook really do this kind of stuff?

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure you can pay to have your page mentioned more prominently and often than unpaid pages in related fields.

That's not to say that Facebook isn't free though. It is. If people want to pay for advertising, then fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by Petyr Baelish View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can pay to have your page mentioned more prominently and often than unpaid pages in related fields.

That's not to say that Facebook isn't free though. It is. If people want to pay for advertising, then fair play.
    Seems kinda mean too block the page content from anyone except 1% – 2% of your fans unless you pay.. sounds like black mailing to me!!

Found this page aswell https://www.thesocialanimal.com/soci...without-paying

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's true, they do that with your friends statuses too.
    Dominantly show the people whose stuff you keep viewing/liking and hiding the ones you don't (unless they pay).

Honestly what do you expect, it is free, you can easily go to a page and like three of their posts and they'll keep coming up, it just hides the stuff they think you don't need so much. But it's a company, they make money, lots and lots and lots of money.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

For a while, in this context means 'since like pretty much for ever'. Consider the amount of friends each person has, and the amount of posts they can produce; do you think the news feed can reasonably show that many?on a daily basis?

People will see what they like more often that what they don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Seems kinda mean too block the page content from anyone except 1% – 2% of your fans unless you pay.. sounds like black mailing to me!!

Mean? It's called advertising and business

If you or anyone else doesn't like it, there's always the option of not using Facebook.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Petyr Baelish View Post
    If you or anyone else doesn't like it, there's always the option of not using Facebook.
    Not using it is pretty much excluding urself from social interaction and networking nowadays.
    Always hated the ´dont use it´ argument. Thats like saying to a rape victim ´you could also just not go outside if you dont like being raped´.

Yes, facebook tempts u into paying them. Its basicly 1 big freemium social game. If u want to climb the social ladder though, your gonna have to pay for it.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-06-29 at 02:32 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Not using it is pretty much excluding urself from social interaction and networking nowadays.
    Always hated the ´dont use it´ argument. Thats like saying to a rape victim ´you could also just not go outside if you dont like being raped´.

Yes, facebook tempts u into paying them. Its basicly 1 big freemium social game. If u want to climb the social ladder though, your gonna have to pay for it.
    I don't have it and I'm doing just fine. Thank you for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post

Well it's def not blackmailing.. I am pretty sure FB is saying I know this secret information and if you don't pay us we won't show your post!

It's business.. It's still free though. If you like the page enough just search for it and it look at there page, don't rely on their post to show up on your feed. I only have a couple pages I care to follow and that is what I do since I don't look at my FB very often and would certainly be missing their post anyhow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post

Actually joining activity groups, interacting with co-workers/fellow students or going to social/networking events is how you network and have social interaction. You don't need FB. There are plenty of other options.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you actually look into how it all works, it's not nearly as evil or nefarious as it's made out to be.

The reality of it is that if everything that happens on facebook appears on your news feed, the news feed becomes useless. A method of sorting out what does and doesn't appear there is pretty much a given. Facebook uses the Edgerank system to do this, by weighting everything that happens on the site according to a couple metrics to try and determine how important it is and who would be interested in it, so it puts them on the news feeds of the people who are most likely to care.

The short of how it works is that your posts will show up on the news feeds of people who follow what you do regularly, especially if they contain significant content and not a generic "Nice day today". It only affects the news feed however, if you actually go and look at a facebook page not only do you see everything, but it also counts as interacting with them so it boosts the chances that their stuff will show on your feed. It isn't hardcapped at 1-2% of fans or anything, it's just that 95%+ of most company's 'fans' don't actually follow the company, they just clicked the like button once then forgot about it.

The only 'new' thing about it is that you can now pay to artificially boost the 'relevancy' metric of a piece of content. This means that a company putting out a major ad can throw in some cash to reach not just the people who normally care about what the company does (they'll see it anyhow), but a bunch of the people who casually check in every now and then as well.

But if you're legitimately concerned about FB 'blocking' content from you, you could always go to the actual Facebook page of the people/groups whose content you want to see. That isn't blocked. It's JUST a news feed sorting metric.