Warcraft 3 Questions

I have decided to take a break from WoW for a while, so I was thinking about playing warcraft 3 again. Have a few questions for people who still play or have played recently. when I played before Wow was out, I mainly played the custom maps, tower defenses, snipers, footy wars, etc. Is there still a good amount of people who play online custom games? Is it worth playing again?

While I haven't played RECENTLY as recently, the last time I did - about a month or two ago - there were still people playing. Most of the custom games were the older classics. I didn't see much of the older, rarer gametypes (like LOAP) very often. Wait times weren't necessarily optimal though, I'd recommend having a second screen to stream Netflix or something while you wait for lobbies to fill.

For the campaign? Absolutely.

For the custom maps? Depends. Original DotA, anyone?

You can browse Google for particular custom map types: third person shooters, puzzle games, the works. Just put in the key word, and there is a good chance that there's a mod/custom map for it.

I love Warcraft 3! I haven't played it since Starcraft II came out... and honestly, the custom games in SC2 sound like they'd be right in your alley. Lots of Tower Defense games. Squadron TD even made the jump from WCIII to SCII, and it's amazing.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

I think most people have moved on to the SC2 custom games, they are just as fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    I think most people have moved on to the SC2 custom games, they are just as fun.
    and free.. but the custom game system plus no chatting areas UGH... it killed starbow (and having no ladder :C)
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

Quote Originally Posted by The Mister Madgod View Post
    While I haven't played RECENTLY as recently, the last time I did - about a month or two ago - there were still people playing. Most of the custom games were the older classics. I didn't see much of the older, rarer gametypes (like LOAP) very often. Wait times weren't necessarily optimal though, I'd recommend having a second screen to stream Netflix or something while you wait for lobbies to fill.
    How long are you talking for wait times? 5/10/15/30+?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    For the campaign? Absolutely.

For the custom maps? Depends. Original DotA, anyone?

You can browse Google for particular custom map types: third person shooters, puzzle games, the works. Just put in the key word, and there is a good chance that there's a mod/custom map for it.
    Bah original DOTA was Aeon of strife on starcraft 1.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't find anymore Run Kitty Run
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Am i the only one who fondly remembers sheeptag? I mention to others who have played War3 but none of them know what im talking about.

I still love "Battleships" and "Footman" and "Line Tower Wars" custom-games And Diablo custom game was also great, loved it's "rpg" value and fun. Also, UI is still awesome.
    If Blizzard one days releases Warcraft 3 upgraded with Heroes of the Storm graphic, I will be in heaven again.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2014-06-30 at 03:52 PM.

Sheeptag, Tree Tag, Run Kitty Run, Empire Wars, Broken Alliances, World War Z, Risk, Undead Assault 2, soooooooooo many other maps. I unfortunately lost my downloads folder, so I doubt I'll ever get those back

Tbh, DOTA killed custom games. At least on TFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Bah original DOTA was Aeon of strife on starcraft 1.
    DotA was an AoS until it distinguished itself enough to become its own distinct entity, an improved iteration upon the formula against which all the others compare themselves to (and often directly clone in more aspects than not).

Kinda boring, really. I wish Eve of the Apocalypse [EotA] would've gotten as popular. Way cooler map. DotAs popularity has squelched creation of maps like EotA, and various other AoS iterations that were around during WC3's most popular phase, before they all slowly faded away to be replaced by DotA, DotA, DotA, and more DotA... which today lead us to DotA clones everywhere, instead of more intersting variations upon the formula.

Even the likes of Smite, who try to be a little different, are taking the opposite approach of what I would prefer; they greatly simplify the gameplay, rather than make it more complex, the way that the older AoS variations did.

But oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    Sheeptag, Tree Tag, Run Kitty Run, Empire Wars, Broken Alliances, World War Z, Risk, Undead Assault 2, soooooooooo many other maps. I unfortunately lost my downloads folder, so I doubt I'll ever get those back

Tbh, DOTA killed custom games. At least on TFT.
    Hive Workship is (to my mild surprise) still alive!

You can search their database for any maps you might remember from years gone by.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Whenever I log on to play some hero lines, maybe tower defense maps (I love Stronghold) lobby either never fills up, or that aint any games up.

This on EU battle.net...Dead game is dead now sadly. Sure you can get a game, but often it takes luck or 20-30 minutes.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

My favorite maps were either defense of helms deep, or risk LOTR and world war 3 (infinite food, 7 gold mines, against several people. We played for literally hours.)

Nostalgic...

I was mostly playing bnets and got like 750 random icon. But my acc was deleted and I went mad.

Custom games are usually full of bots creating random games empty of people.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomAgony View Post
    How long are you talking for wait times? 5/10/15/30+?
    It depended on the game, really. I think it was anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play custom games from time to time. There are not many people left, but a few maps do get played often: DotA (of course), Horde vs Alliance, Legion TD, Trolls vs Elves, Footmen Wars, Tropical Tower Wars, Castle Fight...
    But, well, the games are pretty scarce. I think it is a much better idea to play Starcraft 2 custom maps which are thriving. The only reason I even bother playing Warcraft 3 now is because my laptop died and my old PC cannot handle SC2.

10+ Year Old Account
    W3 risk... man so many hours.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35