Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gamestop doing... WTF?!?!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gam.../1100-6421436/

Guess what! It seems Gamestop now require people to scan their fingerprints in order to trade in games. Everything has gone guano!

"when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

They require finger prints for you selling them games, not store credit.

And that is a local law issue not a gamestop one. Pawnshops in the same area finger print you as well. Gamestop has to abide by the same laws as a pawnshop as people try to sell stolen games to them all the time.

This is a local law thing. They have been doing it in KY for a long while now.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Also the people complaining about what Gamestop gives you for games are retards who want cash instead of store credit or retards who don't know how to read the big promo posters and ask for them.

The comments of that article talk about Gamestop giving you 20 bucks for a 1 week old game. In store credit minimum base is always $25 for a week old $60 game. They ALWAYS have a 30% bonus credit promo and sometimes have 40 and 50% ones. 30% more credit. Power up rewards is another 10%. The MINIMUM you should get for a week old game is $35 even. Most of the major releases have a guaranteed $40 trade value for a month after release on promo as well+ power up rewards = $44.

Add this onto the fact you can get most major releases from best buy with gcu for $45, and the only people who complain about gamestop trade in values are the ones that have no idea how to play the system.

This isn't a thing they started doing "now", they've been doing this for years. Maybe they don't do it in other states, but because of the pawnbroking laws in Florida I've always had to give my thumb print.

At the time the pawnbroker enters into any pawn or purchase transaction, the pawnbroker shall complete a pawnbroker transaction form for such transaction, including an indication of whether the transaction is a pawn or a purchase, and the pledgor or seller shall sign such completed form. The agency must approve the design and format of the pawnbroker transaction form, which must be 81/2 inches x 11 inches in size and elicit the information required under this section. In completing the pawnbroker transaction form, the pawnbroker shall record the following information, which must be typed or written indelibly and legibly in English.
    The front of the pawnbroker transaction form must include:
    1. The name and address of the pawnshop.
    2. A complete and accurate description of the pledged goods or purchased goods, including the following information, if applicable:
    3. The name, address, home telephone number, place of employment, date of birth, physical description, and right thumbprint of the pledgor or seller.
    etc...
    etc...

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/...0539/0539.html
    Gamestop doesn't make up the laws...
    Last edited by grandpab; 2014-08-01 at 11:47 PM.

But it's so much easier to not bother to find out the context for this and simply BE REALLY REALLY OUTRAGED!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a hoop to jump through just to get $3 store credit for the Elder Scrolls trilogy.

I wonder how long gamestop has left to live though,. physical stores are suffering a massive decline in popularity due to online retailers.

I'll trust GameStop to properly run a credit card program when they can manage to give me my damn Game Informer magazines for 12 consecutive months. I always end up with like 3 or 4 and then the rest never show up >.>

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosEater View Post
    I'll trust GameStop to properly run a credit card program when they can manage to give me my damn Game Informer magazines for 12 consecutive months. I always end up with like 3 or 4 and then the rest never show up >.>
    well maybe you have bad luck cuz ive gotten every issue on time for the last 4 or 5 years since i started subbing.

to OP what other stated. preventative messures. if you dont like, no1s twisting your arm to shop there.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I wonder how long gamestop has left to live though,. physical stores are suffering a massive decline in popularity due to online retailers.
    They've been broadening their offerings, moving into the digital market for PC (Purchased Impulse and turned it into their own digital store, greatly expanding over time), selling DLC within the stores for those who prefer not to buy it online, handle various consumer electronics and much more.

They're actually not being completely retarded like Blockbuster was and are actually making efforts to broaden their consumer base while staying as up-to-date as a brick and mortar store can.

In all honesty, I don't see it going away for quite some time. Not only is the market not ready for a truly digital future for quite some time, but Gamestop will more than likely be able to carve out a niche for themselves as a smaller hobby oriented store for physical copies of games and various gaming goodies.

Deleted
    I think it's a bit silly that the local law considers second hand gaming to be the same as a pawn shop but yeah, nothing gamestop can do about it. If all your shit was stolen and pawned you'd be pretty glad of this law.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    But it's so much easier to not bother to find out the context for this and simply BE REALLY REALLY OUTRAGED!
    thats where all the blizzard-hate is coming from too

To be clear incase anyone don't know. Gamestop dose this if you do a few things.

1. Trade in for Cash.
    2. Trade in for Credit.
    3. By a game rated M.

They also scan your ID when they do this as well. To me its w/e really and a lot of it is because people steal games and then try to get credit for them. Its to save gamestops ass if you bought a M rated game and wasn't 17+ and its to save there ass if someone steals ur Xbox 360 and trades it in.

I personally don't mind it and if you don't like it feel free to not go there. To be clear not trying to come off like a ass. Its been this way in Kentucky for quite sometime now.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    I think it's a bit silly that the local law considers second hand gaming to be the same as a pawn shop but yeah, nothing gamestop can do about it. If all your shit was stolen and pawned you'd be pretty glad of this law.
    No1 steals games. NO ONE.

Silver, gold, cash....thats worth stealing to a thief. But games. Nope.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Record Shops have the same problem but some stores survive the digital age. Maybe game shops can too.
    Druid since Feb. 06

Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    thats where all the blizzard-hate is coming from too
    Oh boy, we could go on for days about this, but it's not really the appropriate thread.

Especially because, you know, Blizzard doesn't have any local laws compelling them to do something that many would find to be ludicrous.

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They've been broadening their offerings, moving into the digital market for PC (Purchased Impulse and turned it into their own digital store, greatly expanding over time), selling DLC within the stores for those who prefer not to buy it online, handle various consumer electronics and much more.

They're actually not being completely retarded like Blockbuster was and are actually making efforts to broaden their consumer base while staying as up-to-date as a brick and mortar store can.

In all honesty, I don't see it going away for quite some time. Not only is the market not ready for a truly digital future for quite some time, but Gamestop will more than likely be able to carve out a niche for themselves as a smaller hobby oriented store for physical copies of games and various gaming goodies.
    ive always been a hard copy kinda guy. i still buy CDs...
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Also the people complaining about what Gamestop gives you for games are retards who want cash instead of store credit or retards who don't know how to read the big promo posters and ask for them.

The comments of that article talk about Gamestop giving you 20 bucks for a 1 week old game. In store credit minimum base is always $25 for a week old $60 game. They ALWAYS have a 30% bonus credit promo and sometimes have 40 and 50% ones. 30% more credit. Power up rewards is another 10%. The MINIMUM you should get for a week old game is $35 even. Most of the major releases have a guaranteed $40 trade value for a month after release on promo as well+ power up rewards = $44.

Add this onto the fact you can get most major releases from best buy with gcu for $45, and the only people who complain about gamestop trade in values are the ones that have no idea how to play the system.
    I wonder, how long have you worked for Gamestop?
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    This was just in philly. Which i can understand if you see the crime rate there, If someone steals my newly bought Watch_Dogs to trade it in there for $30..