New Samsung SSD reach the limit of SATA

Have you read this? AnandTech. TomsHardware.

TL;DR: They used 3D memory in order to increase space (so they can go on with 40 nm) and it was expected a slight increase in performance and little else but now that the first units have been published it turns out that it is much more: 550MB/s.

If I'm not wrong, in theory 6 Gbps SATA should deliver 750 MB/s but in reality it is about 600 MB/s. Some analysts believe the new units will be limited by it.

Thoughts?

Edit: 850 pro 128 GB --> 130 USD

Deleted
    Hasn't 550 been quite common in high end SSDs? Anyway the bandwidth doesn't make SSDs blazing fast - it's the low seek times.

Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Hasn't 550 been quite common in high end SSDs? Anyway the bandwidth doesn't make SSDs blazing fast - it's the low seek times.
    I think close to that but not that much. The thing is that it seems the connection will limit these SSD speed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    And phones still have horrible battery lives. How bout instead of going gaga over every little thing ppl care about a phone that lasts 50 hrs instead of watching youtube 3 secs faster for an hour less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't we capped by SATA's limits for quite some time now? Didn't think this was anything new.

Regardless those SSD's are awesome.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by lokinrond713 View Post
    And phones still have horrible battery lives. How bout instead of going gaga over every little thing ppl care about a phone that lasts 50 hrs instead of watching youtube 3 secs faster for an hour less.
    I don't think you're in the right thread.

Deleted
    How is this relevant?

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's surprising that this is what you picked up from the news. Limitations on Sata III bandwidth.

It's irrelevant in my opinion what the limit is now when the current drives aren't restricted by it. The biggest obstacle was the slow down of technological advancement on NAND die shrinks and the 3D NAND is solving that for now and allowing us to continue developing better drives. When something so fast comes up that it's actually limited by sata III it shouldn't be hard to move to another interface like PCIe or something else.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-07-01 at 07:18 PM.

You do understand that there is more than 1 scientist in the world right? That there are a large number of disciplines, with a large number of people working in each discipline, going at various problems from various angles. The people who work on bandwidth might not have the chemical background to improve battery performance. Also, have you even bothered looking up the various new battery and capacitor technologies being developed right now?

15+ Year Old Account
    Facts:

- SATA-III has a max throughput of 600 MByte/s. (SATA-I = 150MB/s, SATA-II = 300MB/s)

- SSDs have hit this limit for quite some time. Sequential read is 500-600MB/s for pretty much any SSD you can buy. Writing speeds are usually a bit lower for the average model, but high-end models are also hitting that barrier.

- It doesn't really matter, because sequential read/write is not that important. Much more important are the low random seek times (resulting in high IOPS) compared to mechanical HDDs.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Can't a SATA-IV be developed? Would solve issues if they could just update SATA-III to a more capable version.

If not, PCI-E here we come! Future of Motherboards: CPU socket, 8x Ram Slots, 20x PCI-E lanes.

Thanks for the instructive comments, i thought SATA3 speed was not max out by SSDs yet.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Not exactly high end, just SSDs that are focused on speed and nothing else, aka reliability. Then they and their companies die a painful disgraceful death.

See: OCZ.

Also, SandForce SF-2281 memory controller was all speed, but OCZ was the only one that didn't recall their SSDs that used it. Corsair? Did. Which companies have been making reliable and still fast SSDs? Crucial and Samsung. Sure, Crucial might not be as fast all the time, but they are solid as rocks.

@OP, the 6Gbps SATA transfer speeds do not count in headroom, 550 is about~ the limit they can actually do, it's not much higher, if they can go higher, at least not any noticeable difference. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Can't a SATA-IV be developed? Would solve issues if they could just update SATA-III to a more capable version.

If not, PCI-E here we come! Future of Motherboards: CPU socket, 8x Ram Slots, 20x PCI-E lanes.
    SATA Express, it's already arrived, and it has a bandwidth peak of 10Gbps.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Consistency of the performance seems key hear but this drive is still much more expensive for average user to care about, especially on a budget.

The 500 GB 840 EVO is $260 and Crucial MX100 512 GB is $215 for comparison (850 Pro 512 GB $399 MSRP)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Consistency of the performance seems key hear but this drive is still much more expensive for average user to care about, especially on a budget.
    It's the most cutting edge technology still so obviously expensive but the potential is there for a cheaper, faster and more reliable drives. I'm drooling over this almost as much as with the Pentium G3258. Nice to see cool things like these coming up when the other areas of computer tech has been so stellar during the past few years.

Deleted
    yeah definitely, I didn't mean not caring about the tech and improvements just that it wouldn't matter THAT much for the average user when considering what to buy.