Thread: Star Fox 64

10+ Year Old Account

Star Fox 64

Just wanted to make a little appreciation thread for this game, criticize it too if you didn't like the game or certain aspects about it but make sure there is solid reasoning behind it or if it's a personal issue then explain it.

Have to say, I was just reading reddit and for some reason the title screen music came into my head and it reminded me of the first game I truly enjoyed. The arcade flying for me was bliss and the characters were even likable... Outside of you Slippy, can you just die. The multiplayer was fun back then but nowadays it's sort of lackluster but that may be because LAN has started dying a bit and I can never get 3 others to play for hours on end just eating junk food. I have a feeling that if I had 3 friends willing to just play old games on LAN that we'd have a ball.

Anyways, did anyone ever complete it all the way, medals on every planet???
    Hey everyone

Numerous people completed it all the way. Once you have played it for a while, it gets accessible. There are some memorable levels and some shit ones too (the underwater level is cool and all, it's really pretty, BUT ITS SO FUCKING SLOW).

It's a great game but the replayability is kinda meh. Yeah it's fun blasting things, but once you learn how to play, it gets repetitive and tedious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved this game, and still do (3ds eshop is god damn amazing). I used to play every damn day when I got home from school. The thing I enjoyed most about it was it was a really quick game if you just wanted to play for a bit and be done for the day. I'm not sure if I ever 100%'d the game, it's been so long.

I'm not sure if you had seen, but Nintendo is developing another Star Fox for the Wii U. AFAIK, it's going to play much like 64 does.

great times with star fox 64, no doubt one of childhood memories i will never forget...
    Spec: i5 4670k - MSI Z87M-G43 - HyperX 8GB -Corsair H100 - GTX 980 ti

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolucion View Post
    It's a great game but the replayability is kinda meh. Yeah it's fun blasting things, but once you learn how to play, it gets repetitive and tedious.
    Uh, well, the replay value was high, considering you could take different paths each time, and you couldn't play every stage in one playthrough. Which I didn't like, though. I'd rather be able to go back and do all the stages.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Uh, well, the replay value was high, considering you could take different paths each time, and you couldn't play every stage in one playthrough. Which I didn't like, though. I'd rather be able to go back and do all the stages.
    After you've beat the whole game (all stages) there's no point in ever going back in the next 3~5 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolucion View Post
    After you've beat the whole game (all stages) there's no point in ever going back in the next 3~5 years.
    Getting all the medals, unlocking expert mode, getting all the medals on expert mode.

Oh God, WoW. That was so long ago. I remember my dad pulling out the N64 for my birthday way back then, with Pokemon Stadium, Gemni, Super Mario 64, and...Star Fox. God, fun times. Fun time.

And yes; Slippy needs to die. Badly. Such annoyance! Such ignorance!

Are we talking about "Do a barrel roll" Lylat Wars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

As I never owned a N64 (had Saturn and PSX), I can only speak about the 3DS Version and was already bored after playing the practice level. Also I have simply too many other games to play.
    That wasn't the case in the 90s, when I might have spend more time playing Star Fox. But I had Wing Commander, X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter, Freespace etc. and didn't finish any of them. Maybe I'm just not really into such games even though I might enjoy them for a while.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Are we talking about "Do a barrel roll" Lylat Wars?
    Yes we are, if im not mistaken in America the game is knowed as starfox 64 wile in Europe isn knowed as Lillat wars.

I did liked that game, the most enjoyable to me was that some lvls you wold play as always go strait ahed and the others were more like a small arena where you had much more fredom to go anywhere, also liked a lot of the pvp side of the game.

And as mentioned, Slippy why dont you die already.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted
    best game ever.

Ranks very high on my favorite games of all time list. I loved the replay value the game had (you could go different routes to reach the end or try to get medals on the harder modes), and the multiplayer was also a lot of fun.

For some reason, most of the later Star Fox games (Adventures, Assault, etc) didn't really do much for me, but I loved the SNES and N64 versions.

Not one of my all time favorites, but a great game. It's the one everyone my age remembers. I liked that it was based on earning high scores, and it was fairly challenging. Red path Venom... ugh. Battle mode was fun too.

Never played the original; Adventures aka Dinosaur Planet was good, just didn't care for the repetitive combat with easy enemies. I liked Assault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yo Falco imma let you finish but. Star Foxs Adventure was better ;p