Deleted

Age of Wonders 3 - worth picking up?

Just discovered this game today but Im not sure. It looks gorgeous and I really like turn based games like XCOM:Enemy unknown and Civilization 5.

I think what makes me doubt the most is it's supposed to another installment in an old popular series of which I haven't even heard of so a lot of reviews tend to get nostalgic and throw in comparisons how they stayed closed to it's roots and everything but I have no idea if its a good or a bad thing.

i played it for about 20-30hrs, then i got bored of it, i quickly realized it was a rush to T4 units and overwhelming the AI with those powerful units. After some time i just didnt want to play it anymore.

It's not a bad game but it is more like heroes of might and magic than a civilization type of game

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    i played it for about 20-30hrs, then i got bored of it, i quickly realized it was a rush to T4 units and overwhelming the AI with those powerful units. After some time i just didnt want to play it anymore.
    Unfortunatly yes. The balancing is a little off. You can pump everything into one city, rush T4 and overpower the AI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Unfortunatly yes. The balancing is a little off. You can pump everything into one city, rush T4 and overpower the AI.
    wow by that it does sound a bit underwhelming (?)
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked AoW2 but I didn't like this one, maybe I grew out this genre but the game seemed boring and very repetitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

I did have high hopes for it during development but upon release I found there wasn't enough complexity on tech to really enjoy. The first few tiers of units feel like fillers until you can get where you're supposed to be with Tier3/4 yet armies just become too bland once you're there. Spam your major class unit, add a hero and repeat/

Deleted
    I decided to buy it after watching a bunch of Youtube videos and reading all those positive reviews..

Started the elf campaign on hard and first mission was fun, it was a lot like fantasy Civ 5 but the second mission, omg.. after like 20 turns, the AI came after me with huge stacks of tier 3s and 4s.. even if I defeated a few waves, my army almost got wiped out but they just kept coming. Medium on the other hand was too easy but annoying.

Random maps on the other hand are a lot more fun. You cant get Tier 3 -4 before like 100 turns there if you start with a single city but by then you've explored most of the map anyway and probably defeated most AI players.

So what I think this game lacks isn't balance but it has a few convenience issues and diplomacy seems a bit bland too compared to civ games. The biggest problem though is that I think the cities and forts need at least some basic defenses even without any units. The empires tend to get pretty large with 10-20 cities and forts at least and it's super annoying that easily summoned flying scout units can just fly around and capture them without much effort so during one map when I was focusing on the east and left a single cherub unit alive in the west, it managed to capture half my empire alone before I got to it. That doesn't even make sense in all honesty:P