I need help! Challenge of Xuen.

Greetings fellow rogues,

I am nearing the end of the line to get my legendary cloak, but I seem to have trouble with the "Celestial Blessings" step DPS challenge. I will start off by saying I am by no means a "pro" but I've enjoyed playing my rogue since vanilla.

I have read countless WH posts saying how "faceroll easy" it is, and watched YT videos showing people burning Wrathion down so quick he never enters phase 2, but I spent about 3 hours failing, getting close a few times, but never more than 3/4 of the way done.

Avoiding his dead zone, and interrupting him seems easy enough but what kills me each time is the adds! My spec was sub or combat, and I even respecced assassination for it, but with little improvement. I also took shuriken toss, as many people said it makes the adds incidental; it didn't. I'm ilvl 534 in the best gear I can get for now, here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvanelf/simple

Anyone have any insight or guidance?

Deleted
    I can't remember the encounter and i did this back when i had a set of 522ish from ToT. It was easy.

If the adds are taking you down, then manage your offensive and defensive cooldowns for the situation that is troubling you.
    Go Combat, put blade flurry on and pop Adrenaline Rush and burn the adds down. Evasion, feint, smoke bomb, combat readiness. Use them.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember correctly, he takes more damage from his back. Just pop everything when you can stick to his back and he should die.

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    If I remember correctly, he takes more damage from his back. Just pop everything when you can stick to his back and he should die.
    This is true, you get a buff when you're at his back, but he spawns the adds that surround you. They Kill you QUICK, even with evasion, CloS and glyphed feint, if you do not AoE them or kite. Even doing that they are tough to kill.

If you want to make it really easy, just do more damage. Get stat food and a flask. Use a potion and Heroism drums. Blow him up before he does anything.

If you want to do it the normal way, just actually use your defensives and AoE the adds. There is no way you're dying through them unless you're giving them your back during Evasion or spamming sit down or doing something else equally silly.

If you want to do it the slow way, kite the adds and whittle down the boss. Run Crippling Poison and Shuriken Toss. Blow him up initially, per usual. When the adds come out, kite blobs with FoK'd Crip while you ST Wrathion.

If you spent 3 hours on this, you're probably doing something fundamentally wrong. It's a really easy encounter. I don't know what else to tell you.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2014-07-02 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    If you want to make it really easy, just do more damage. Get stat food and a flask. Use a potion and Heroism drums. Blow him up before he does anything.

If you want to do it the normal way, just actually use your defensives and AoE the adds. There is no way you're dying through them unless you're giving them your back during Evasion or spamming sit down or doing something else equally silly.

If you want to do it the slow way, kite the adds and whittle down the boss. Run Crippling Poison and Shuriken Toss. Blow him up initially, per usual. When the adds come out, kite blobs with FoK'd Crip while you ST Wrathion.

If you spent 3 hours on this, you're probably doing something fundamentally wrong. It's a really easy encounter. I don't know what else to tell you.
    I used a food buff and flask, but not potion or drums; I also used crippling poison. When I kited the adds, and used ST on them, it worked ok, but then he'd go to mirror phase, which sometimes I'd hit the "right one" other times they'd blow up, and me with them.

Have you seen this video:

He was ~533 (about the same as you) and playing badly (didn't put up Rupture for a looong time, energy capped, clipped Env too much, Mutting over Disp, etc.) and he just tanked adds with Leeching+Shiv, Recup, Combat Readiness, and Evasion (chained, not stacked) while killing the boss. Pay attention to how he used his defensives.

If you did this with all the consumables and slightly better play, you could probably kill him before adds even come out, or at the very least, long before your defensives run out.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2014-07-02 at 09:23 PM.

Actually, that's the *first* one (of many) I saw... that was one thing I did, was try to stack defensive CDs; I'll try chaining them. Hm, I took nerve strike instead of CR, which I now realize is silly since Wrathion is not the one who damages you at all.

Thank you very much Squirl, for your guidance, and not just responding with a "Meh, you suck, just accept it!" This Rogue community, above all others, is really the best!

Edit: It looked like he mostly just ignored the adds, which mostly it seemed people do;
    Last edited by SylvanElf; 2014-07-03 at 02:56 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did this as Combat about 520ish (after trying it about 60+ times as Assassination). The only real issue for me was the adds, and dealing with them.

Fighting the adds around Wrathion, with Leeching Poison and Blade Flurry up, meant that I had enough self-healing to keep up with the adds' damage.

On the second set, I remember Blinding Wrathion and running off so as not to get him in a cleave, and then using Killing Spree and Evasion (and Blade Flurry) to finish those adds. But for the life of me I can't remember why that was important; it may that the adds showed up when he was doing his Naruto-split thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SylvanElf View Post
    Actually, that's the *first* one (of many) I saw... that was one thing I did, was try to stack defensive CDs; I'll try chaining them. Hm, I took nerve strike instead of CR, which I now realize is silly since Wrathion is not the one who damages you at all.

Thank you very much Squirl, for your guidance, and not just responding with a "Meh, you suck, just accept it!" This Rogue community, above all others, is really the best!

Edit: It looked like he mostly just ignored the adds, which mostly it seemed people do;
    Never ever stack evasion and combat readiness. Combat readiness requires you to be hit to stack, evasion prevents this.

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    I did this as Combat about 520ish (after trying it about 60+ times as Assassination). The only real issue for me was the adds, and dealing with them.

Fighting the adds around Wrathion, with Leeching Poison and Blade Flurry up, meant that I had enough self-healing to keep up with the adds' damage.

On the second set, I remember Blinding Wrathion and running off so as not to get him in a cleave, and then using Killing Spree and Evasion (and Blade Flurry) to finish those adds. But for the life of me I can't remember why that was important; it may that the adds showed up when he was doing his Naruto-split thing.

I tried combat/BF too, but didn't have a huge amount of success; though I didn't pick leeching for that try. Question: When he does split, if you don't get the "right" image in time, is there any way not to die in his spell? will a feint/CloS be enough to soak it?

Deleted
    I tried combat/BF too, but didn't have a huge amount of success; though I didn't pick leeching for that try. Question: When he does split, if you don't get the "right" image in time, is there any way not to die in his spell? will a feint/CloS be enough to soak it?
    If I remember correctly, the damage you get in is tied to the number of adds still alive when they explode. So kill as much as you can if you are unlucky to not get the correct one, and save your defensives for that part.
    Back when I did the challenge, that part was the most difficult for me, and I wiped several times because I did not get the adds down in time. (was mut specced back then)
    Basically in the end I saved my cooldowns and pot for that part.
    I also had the feeling it did not matter how fast you nuked him, you always got that explodng add phase.

Sometimes I hit the "right" image and they all despawn, then it goes back to the adds phase. I just read something that escaped my attention previously: You can get all three Piju brews from TI and use them for Tanking, healing and DPS. I'm going to try that!!!

I also *JUST* realized I did something 100% retarded: I specced leaching, but failed to apply it, since my poison macro is for Deadly/Crippling and didn't even check that I never actually switched DUH!!!
    Last edited by SylvanElf; 2014-07-07 at 04:31 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I hit the "right" image and they all despawn, then it goes back to the adds phase. I just read something that escaped my attention previously: You can get all three Piju brews from TI and use them for Tanking, healing and DPS. I'm going to try that!!!

I also *JUST* realized I did something 100% retarded: I specced leaching, but failed to apply it, since my poison macro is for Deadly/Crippling and didn't even check that I never actually switched DUH!!!
    That would help, yes, using the Leeching Poison.

The Piju brews will also be pretty handy.

The "right" add is the non-translucent one, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    That would help, yes, using the Leeching Poison.

The Piju brews will also be pretty handy.

The "right" add is the non-translucent one, IIRC.
    Yes, most poisons tend to work when APPLIED! /facepalm :O

Ah! I will have to look closer, I thought there was no way to tell the "right" mirror image, I thought it was random. Good to know!

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it goes!

If you are getting 3/4ths of the way, the sticking point may be not kicking his "Blood of the Deathborn" cast. Have to kick that. Assuming you have leeching and chain cooldowns, all you'd need to do is avoid the arc and kick blood of the deathborn and you'll be good to go.

Update: I am now the proud owner of Fen-Yu, Fury of Xuen! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvanelf/simple

Yeah, I was kicking the blood ability. It was really the adds that were overtaking me; However, I farmed the 3 "Piju brews" HOLY CRAP it was really faceroll easy with them!!! making my own adjustments certainly helped, but I largely think the 3 NPCs kept the adds off me. Wrathion did get one mirror phase in, but I luckily FoK'ed that in 1 shot then finished him off very quickly.

Thank you all for the kind advice and guidance! I will again state that this is my favorite rogue community, and that there was not one "L2P nubbxxorz" which I appreciate.