10+ Year Old Account

Replacing my 2010 macbook pro with a 2014 Macbook air

My macbook pro just got stolen and I need to replace it for school.

I just recently built a PC at home so I don’t need something incredibly powerful for what I am using it for.

Mostly word processing, I stream a lot of movies, possibly some slideshow stuff, but I’d really like to start using my gaming PC for the video editing (amateur home movies) so it doesn’t need to do that.

My main reason for coming here, is toward the end of its life boot up and accessing files be it a word document, or a photo. Took a ridiculous amount of time to load.

In terms of processing speed this is what I was working with
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache

1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

This is the processor from the 11” Macbook air that I think should suit my needs. I just want to make sure I am not going to frustrated with the processor speed.

I am also going with an SSD this time and that should also help to eliminate any frustrations regarding load times.

10+ Year Old Account
    You wont be. 4 generations of improvements make that i7 considerably faster than the Core 2 Duo. For load up speed the SSD is the bigger factor anyway.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Yes for what you want to use it for you will be more than happy with the performance (you also made a good choice getting the SSD as that will be the biggest place you personally will see the performance boost and overall feel of "snappiness").

making the same mistake twice is never a good idea. Death to Macintosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaaz View Post
    making the same mistake twice is never a good idea. Death to Macintosh
    Well I'm all ears if you have suggestion for an alternative for a laptop. I was looking into the surface 3 but the one I want won't be available until after August 1.

I did build a PC that is working great for all of the fun stuff I used to do on my macbook pro... but i still need something mobile for school and work.

I am actually pretty happy with my surface pro 2, the only thing I don't particularly like is that it only has 1 usb3 port (although you can get a hub for it), other than that I got the power pack keyboard and I get 13-14 hours on it watching movies.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not going to be gaming on it, perhaps something like Hearthstone on medium settings will do.

The CPU on the MBA is from Intel's U series, it's good enough for basic browsing/movie watching, but don't expect to use it as a workhorse. (Depending on the use, of course.)

If you can get a Pro instead, I'd advise you to get that simply due to the more powerful CPU. It's not going to age as fast.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory