Perfect World Entertainment to buy Digital Extremes

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/07...ital-extremes/
    http://www.mmobomb.com/news/perfect-...ital-extremes/

A sad sad day; the slow fall of something great.

Digital Extremes known for co-creating the Unreal series (Unreal, Tournament, Championship, 2003, and 2004), helping 2k port Bioshock to the PS3, helping 2K create the multiplayer for Bioshock 2 and multiplayer for THQ's Homefront, and The Darkness II. The company now is most know for it F2P Third person Action game Warframe.

Warframe is a great game with a lot of potential, but I feel that PWE is going to destroy this game slowly like they have with everything else they have gotten their hands on (Blacklight Retribution, Rusty Hearts, Cryptic Studios).
    Last edited by Phaere; 2014-07-02 at 11:04 PM.

hopefully they keep their paws off of them and just let them do their work

but going by past examples that seems to be highly unlikely

I liked Rusty Hearts and Blacklight Ret and Neverwinter. The only issue I had with the latter was the ruinous cash shop, but the gameplay was well done. I don't think PWE's games are wholly incompetent or deserve any great negativity. Though I haven't kept up with PWI over the last years, fwiw.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah people have being going on about it like its the end of the world..
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, since when was Blacklight ruined? Granted, it's been a few months since I last played it, but it seemed fine.
    Last edited by OnlineSamantha; 2014-07-03 at 02:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    yeah people have being going on about it like its the end of the world..

Not the end of the world, but they'll now be pumping out shitty F2P games with dodgy cash shops and milk them for all their worth.

Literally the only decent F2P game PW has EVER released without some very dodgy cash shop is Blacklight Retribution.

Perfect World WILL ruin Warframe! Just like they did with Star Trek Online! And Champions! Just, no!

Why!

Deleted
    Was about to cry when I realised that a) this shit happens all the time, b) did they even make a game?, c) care cup is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by profanity79 View Post
    Was about to cry when I realised that a) this shit happens all the time, b) did they even make a game?, c) care cup is empty.
    Warframe. AWESOME!

Apparently PWE want to try and get their dirty hands on Path of Exile too.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect World Entertainment
    Once Neverwinter players start looking for something new, we need to push them into something even newer. Even if a game has been out for a while, like Path of Exile, it’s still something we want on Arc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaere View Post
    Don't even say those things! Never!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaere View Post
    I think they're talking about distributing it through ARC, with ARC acting as a storefront/launcher of sorts, not in acquiring GGG. Similar to how Aeria Games (shitty F2P MMO publisher) has/had (not sure anymore) to both Age of Conan and SWTOR in its launcher. It's simply getting games to hit broader audiences by having them launch through more systems.

At least I fucking hope nothing happens with them getting GGG. I can't imagine GGG even entertaining the notion of associating with PWE, and last I heard they're still doing very well for themselves.

Is GGG even a publicly traded company?

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Is GGG even a publicly traded company?
    No, neither is Digital Extremes. Both are private companies, that's why acquisition is/would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, neither is Digital Extremes. Both are private companies, that's why acquisition is/would be easier.
    right but if those companies don't want to sell then there is nothing PWE could do about it. Just trying to say for those worried about POE being bought out by PWE that it has to be a mutual consent on the sale

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    right but if those companies don't want to sell then there is nothing PWE could do about it. Just trying to say for those worried about POE being bought out by PWE that it has to be a mutual consent on the sale
    Indeed. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more than a few companies that want to buy GGG. But I'd be surprised if they went with a company like PWE or one of the big publishers like EA/Activision, if they even considered selling the company at all. They seem to be fiercely independent.