Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Please Enter Your Birthday/Age

We've all done it when we were younger. You visit a site, be it a horror movie or game, and you are asked to enter your age. You being 5 or 6 enter in January 1 1980 and then browse the site till your heart is content.

I never really understood these outdated "minor-protection" walls. They are really easy to bypass. I mean for those of you who are even of age, do you even enter in your actual birth date? I am pretty sure more than half the time, if even at all, do not.

What is the point of these age walls? Are they a liability or warning? If so, why not have a contract with the "I Agree" at the end when you scroll down? People can still lie about it but at least that person are liable if they were underage and get caught (that is if liability is the sole purpose of these age walls). I know the these age protection walls were meant to have ages put in "truthfully" but come on now, its the internet; don't really know who the person behind the screen is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the law that you have to be above 13 years of age to join an online community of any kind.

Deleted
    The information is sent to Santa too see if you are a liar. Then you get coal for Christmas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, I was born in 84. By the time the internet was a more common thing, I was already of age. Used my beard at 18 to get into a few clubs/bars, though.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, it's easy to bypass, but as long as they use the "enter your age" or "Enter / Leave" barrier, they're no longer open to lawsuits.

I can't even remember the last time I entered my actual age. I think they just want you to feel old by thinking about how much older than 18 you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not to really deny you access but to cover their asses for lawsuits.

Yeah they love to make you feel old I was born 8/14/1975 I get to feeling old when in runs with a whole group of 9 to 15 year olds.

If you lie about your age they are then no longer liable from any sort of offensive content you may or may not see on said site.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    This. If you just imagine the scenario if a 1st person shooter game website with gore elements could be accessible without any minor protection... dem lawsuits would roll in like there's no tomorrow.

Just stupidly asking for your age before you can enter is already enough. Doesn't do shit besides saving your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I see. I originally thought it was mainly for the interest of the consumer or person visiting site.

15+ Year Old Account
    93% of people's birthdays are on January 1st on Steam.
    Last edited by apepi; 2014-07-02 at 11:39 PM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I'm so old, that's never actually been an issue. Sites required membership with credit cards before checking on my age. And most of those had such crap webmasters it was as simple as changing the URL entered to get to the goodies. And that's about all I'll say about that.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    93% of people's birthdays are on January 1st on Steam.
    I remember back in the old days (I'm not sure if it still does), if you put the year you were born to something like 1935 you will get an error saying you are too old or something like that haha.

I'm old enough to have never needed to lie about it on the internet.

...or am I?

I always used to put my real birthday until I started having to scroll down to find the year. Now it's depressing.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I always put 1900 when im asked to when the site doesn't need my name.

Someone underage lies about their age and gets in a 18+ section, you then post some "adult content" did you still break the law by providing obscene material to a minor?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Someone underage lies about their age and gets in a 18+ section, you then post some "adult content" did you still break the law by providing obscene material to a minor?
    No, they did all they could.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone played the original Leisure Suit Larry (Not the Remake) it asked you your age/year born and then would proceed to ask you trivia based on your age. Since this was an era before mass Internet popularity if you didnt know the answer to the questions you obviously werent old enough to play the game.