Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The repetitive argument "Why are people who are pushing for equality segregating themselves in this manner" gets really old. You won't get it and probably never will because you lack basic human empathy. Looking through the rules it seems like the only people being excluded are outspoken bigots so no loss there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i hate the term gaymer, they are no different to regular gamers, why the name for them?
    I don't think that's universally true, really. I mean there's a lot of stuff said about how "we're all the same" except for this one little thing with who we date used to promote acceptance and equality but when you actually look at it, in many cases it isn't true. There are a bunch of people (be they gamers or artists or whatever) who are no different from their straight counterparts, for sure, however there are many cases where being gay comes with a lot of cultural stuff. It's not huge differences, but they are there. Whether it's different kinds of tv shows they watch or art they view or music they listen to, places they visit... etc. It's sort of similar to how if you're a musician, you're "the same" as all other musicians, but there are pretty big cultural differences between large numbers of white musicians vs their black counterparts. A lot of this is pretty trivial stuff but it can influence and shape the music you produce, or how you view other people's music.

The same applies to videogames, I think. The way gay people consume videogames is in some cases different to the way that breeders do it, and conventions like this exist to highlight and celebrate those differences, I think. Obviously it's not always the case and there are a bunch of gays out there and everyone probably knows one or two that are essentially no different to their straight friends... but take music in videogames. Sometimes we have a game with music produced by a "real band" in it, such as the game "Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams" having a soundtrack done largely by Machinae Supremacy (who are the greatest band ever by the way, check them out). Now suppose you had a game with a soundtrack written and performed by Tegan and Sara. Breeders will appreciate it for it being good music or bad music or whatever, but they will still view it's inclusion in a game differently to T&S's legion of lesbifans. Really trivial and subtle example, but you can see how small things like that can change your view of a product, and it's nice for a convention like this to exist in order to provide a platform to celebrate these things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    I'd go, but I'm not gay.
    I go to straight conventions, guess I'm more ahead of the curve then you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daph View Post
    The repetitive argument "Why are people who are pushing for equality segregating themselves in this manner" gets really old. You won't get it and probably never will because you lack basic human empathy. Looking through the rules it seems like the only people being excluded are outspoken bigots so no loss there.
    this ^
    Bigots and the irrational exclude themselves by default, they shouldn't be pandered to.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I go to straight conventions, guess I'm more ahead of the curve then you are.
    Where are the straight pride cons you go to?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Where are the straight pride cons you go to?
    Every day, everywhere is a straight pride con I notice you guys don't bring many flags though, unlike us? Why is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    i hate the term gaymer, they are no different to regular gamers, why the name for them?
    Because as your see just looking though this thread alone, there are people who will have a stick in their ass about openly gay people in any medium. So while the world still has that level of divide, those in minority groups will still celebrate who they are, which is all this is about, celebrating the fact of who they are and the rights they have to be themselves, the same as black or other minority groups.

The biggest victory for any smaller group of people who are different from the majority, is for those of the majority to come along and celebrate with them.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Because they want to be special snowflakes. "Look at me, I'm gay!".

Congratulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Every day, everywhere is a straight pride con I notice you guys don't bring many flags though, unlike us? Why is that?
    they are colorblind is why.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Because they want to be special snowflakes. "Look at me, I'm gay!".

Congratulations.
    nah, we just want to piss guys like you off
    #boycottchina

Show me one? Also, straight people are called breeders now? Who came up with that?

Deleted
    Show me one? Also, straight people are called breeders now? Who came up with that?
    Where's the nearest building to you? Go there. Congratulations, you are now standing in a group of people with a higher percentage of straight people, than the percentage of gay people who are at a gay pride event. If you don't want to bring flags and turn that into a celebration, that's your business.
    Last edited by mmoca33b2a723c; 2014-07-03 at 11:16 AM.

Where's the nearest building to you? Go there. Congratulations, you are now standing in a group of people with a higher percentage of straight people, than the percentage of gay people who are at a gay pride event. If you don't want to bring flags and turn that into a celebration, that's your business.
    Sorry, that's not what a pride event is. Again, where did "breeder" come from?

I was just about to ask the same thing. It's the second time I've seen it used now. Is there a special term for bisexual guys as well?

Deleted
    Ubisoft attending? Computer game nerds are there own special breed of nutter, I.e. We are all crazy, why differentiate based on gender/sexual preference?

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever been part of a group of people who had to fight for the same basic human rights as the majority? No? then you don't get to celebrate anything.
    Everything from gay pride to national pride in a different country to disabled pride to womens rights is celebrated, because its a group of people who gained their freedoms and rights after years of fighting for it, and yet are still fighting for it against a majority.

Its not rocket science.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Sorry, that's not what a pride event is. Again, where did "breeder" come from?
    Don't know where it comes from, it's just a word!

And a pride event is whatever you make it. You have enough straight people around all the time wherever you go for it to be a straight pride event. As I said, if you want to bring flags and floats and dancers, that's up to you. If you don't have anything you want to celebrate about, that's fine too, but that's your issue, not mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by profanity79 View Post
    Ubisoft attending? Computer game nerds are there own special breed of nutter, I.e. We are all crazy, why differentiate based on gender/sexual preference?
    I would expect bioware to be part of it, they are pretty ahead of things when it comes to this, unlike 'cool, awesome, dude' companies like blizzard.
    #boycottchina

There is no reason to place special emphasis on people who choose to be part of an out of the ordinary lifestyle, and they do not need to be more represented in games and media. Having games give the option to make your character one way or the other is fine, but very few people will want to play a game where their main character is forced to be that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    There is no reason to place special emphasis on people who choose to be part of an out of the ordinary lifestyle, and they do not need to be more represented in games and media. Having games give the option to make your character one way or the other is fine, but very few people will want to play a game where their main character is forced to be that way.
    Very few people are asking for it to be forced, unless it's required for the plot to work. It's not always about representation, as I mentioned in my post near the beginning of page three.

Have you ever been part of a group of people who had to fight for the same basic human rights as the majority? No? then you don't get to celebrate anything.
    Everything from gay pride to national pride in a different country to disabled pride to womens rights is celebrated, because its a group of people who gained their freedoms and rights after years of fighting for it, and yet are still fighting for it against a majority.

Its not rocket science.
    All of which just contributes to the ridiculous 'us vs them' mentality. Furthermore, 'straight white guys' do suffer an increasing amount of intolerance in modern society. Their own concerns and issues are often brushed aside and if they're the target of racism, sexism and many other forms of discrimination - usually at the hands of 'minorities'.

Deleted
    Have you ever been part of a group of people who had to fight for the same basic human rights as the majority?
    Article 16.

(1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
    (2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
    (3) The family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the State.
    "Race, nationality or religion". So, are gays a race, nationality or religion?

And before you start crying - I'm actually one of those people who believes that marriage should be abolished completely as governments discriminate against single or co-hab people.
    Last edited by mmoce1e4d9dec7; 2014-07-03 at 11:26 AM.