Poll: Easiest role in raiding

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I suppose u let rookhs add run rampant then. Suppose that s what all the selfproclaimed pro's do. Talkin bout credibility.

Hint: You don't need to taunt Rook's adds to pick them up. It's a waste of a global that does no damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theendgamelv3 View Post
    That isn't the point, breaking it down how you did doesn't mean tanks don't have to deal with raid mechanics. Going how you broke it down, no one deals with raid mechanics which is obviously false. Everyone has to deal with raid mechanics, no matter how easy you make it seem.
    They deal with them, but to a lesser extend. Thus being the easiest.

Deleted
    Player being shit at his role doesn't mean the role is hard.
    I've seen plenty of people perform poor. By that logic every role is hard lol.
    True It just happened again and it gets really frustrating... also makes me think of the old "i'm winning on threat!" comic every time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Hint: You don't need to taunt Rook's adds to pick them up. It's a waste of a global that does no damage.
    True. Comes in handy though.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrCool View Post
    Im going to go out on a limb here and say DPS is the hardest.

Healing and tanking both have a 'good enough' skill ceiling, where any better reaction / skill / playstyle wont matter outside cutting edge heroic content. I does not matter if you pick up the adds in 0.1 or 0.5 seconds, as long as you are standing in the right spot, mitigating as good as your healers need you to. Same goes for healers, as long as everyone gets topped off before anyone is killed it doesn't matter how fast you are or who you prioritize. I would say that healing is a bit harder than tanking since you need to stand in range of everyone and this could mean moving yourself.

Now DPS is asymptotic linked to skill, assuming equal gear levels AND very easy to measure and compare.

I have been out dps'd by someone with less gear and I have out dps'd people with better gear on occasion. I have been kicked from Garrosh normal kills for not doing enough DPS as a mage. Am I a bad player? Maybe... but after reading strategies on my class, changing around key bindings, installing an addon or two I noticed my dps going up by 10-15%. I have never had to do this on either my tank or healer. I just knew what to do, did it adequately and got compliments for it

Now this goes for me, playing flex / normal in a judgemental pick up group setting. I am sure that a close knit guild running cutting edge heroics has a whole different experience
    I see what you're saying, but what you have to remember about healers is that if they aren't healing or it's light damage, they need to be throwing in damage as well. They need to be keeping everyone topped off, doing damage when they get a chance, CCing adds like anyone else and more-often than not healers get asked to do important roles (such as kicking turtles on Tortos) due to the fact that dps will get more damage if they don't have to do it.

Imo, standing still and hitting stuff as a DPS has never been hard, avoiding stuff on the ground has never been hard, attack the right target has never been hard - It's only all three of those at once that ever proves to be a problem, but that's just muscle memory, it's all it is. Healing is never muscle memory, it's reaction skills and insanely fast on the spot judgements. Tank and dps taking heavy damage, you need to heal the tank as priority but you can't let the dps die either, do you just heal the tank and hope some1 else gets it? Do u heal both of them with an aoe and hope they don't take spike damage? Do you pop a CD on one of them and heal the other? What if you're saving that CD for later? And even when everything's good and well, you're essentially a DPS - We ALSO have to manage our mana, dps classes with mana don't really need to worry about that as much.

You also can't just watch your frames as a healer, you need to be completely aware of what's going on in the fight with everyone around you - Say you're on siegecrafter heroic, everyone's on 3/4ish health but there's no real urgency at the moment as there's no 'massive' damage coming up, but you catch a hunter that's came off the belt and he's unable to move while also having landed where a missle's about to blow up - That player's gonna take a lot of damage and you need to CD them quickly or make sure they're completely topped; But what do you do if you need to move from stuff yourself and you don't have an instant cast CD? DPS have to make similar decisions when it comes to min-maxing, but more often than not higher dps on fights will be from lucky procs and not having to move out of anything from it not targeting you.

I don't think tanking has been hard since they made threat a piece of cake to get, so i'm not even considering it. I'd personally put Healer on top with DPS a close second. This isn't me being biased btw, as you can tell from my sig I play a lot of classes and have played 1 healer as a main, 2 dps and have off-spec tanked/went to alt runs as a tank many times.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2014-07-17 at 10:31 AM.

They deal with them, but to a lesser extend. Thus being the easiest.
    Exactly, what you said earlier implying that only DPS and healers only have to deal with raid mechanics makes no sense, which was mine and Tech's entire point, tanks deal with raid mechanics.

IMO rDPS is hardest.

I tank, and yes the skill cap's very high, but the 'effective' skill cap, where you can do your job and no one really cares, is IMO low for 99% of content/experiences. It's only on like Siegecrafter Heroic where the content becomes challenging, having to use CDs for Electrostatic Charges (especially in 10H) and killing the Shredder on time and not dying to the boss's frenzy (more a concern in 25H).

Now, DPS has it worse because of legitimate reasons and illegitimate reasons. On the latter I mean ignorance. We've all been in raids where someone whines about x player's low DPS and discusses replacing him. That can be a valid criticism, but often it's rooted in ignorance, like the shit I have heard "everyone in SoO should do 300k+." That's pretty dumb since every fight is different and every spec is different. DPS cannot be properly judged on the first window of Recount. They need to be analyzed in the context of 1) the particular fight 2) their role in that fight 2a) the number of mechanics RNG determined they had to manage 3) their peers/same class 4) meaningful damage, e.g. no one should give a shit about basically irrelevant add damage, and 5) their survivability/utility. But that's a lot of work, so often it's just "yo this Shadow Priest is only doing 270k kick him."

"But if you look at his damage done to Garrosh, it's actually 2nd in the raid and that's as a Spriest, a poor ST spec, not to mention he is in the bait group. Really the problem is all the players who pad on P1 and do shit for the rest of the fight."

"Need more DPS kick him."

Legitimately, because heroic mechanics are more punishing to DPS and especially ranged DPS. As a tank, sure, you have mechanics to handle, but any mechanic which you and the raid share is much easier on you. E.g. Rapid Fire on Paragons. You get hit by some of the orbs and it doesn't matter. As a DPS you die. On Paragons actually to do more damage I'd just stand on Hisek the whole time and make sure I had SotR up. Then take Immerseus. Tanks have to move out of the pools just like DPS do, but they can do it at a much more leisurely pace since they're rarely in danger of dying. DPS stand in puddles for a fraction too long and they're dead. Or get hit by swirl and they're dead.

Then I say melee is easier than ranged because melee don't really ever have to worry about unique mechanics. Sometimes they have a shitty time with AoE, like Horridon's poison or Siegecrafter with Crawler Mines fixating on them, but usually it's just tunnel yolo while the rDPS have to kite laser beams and shit.
    Last edited by trystero; 2014-07-17 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    Luckily taunt isn't on the global cooldown...

DPS, no question, especially lower levels, or LFR, you can auto-attack and alt-tab and no-one says a god damn thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    When doing new raids, I prefer to start as a healer. I don't have to worry about adds, belts, engineers, kill order, etc. In that way, I find healing easiest. It can be difficult, but there's also a mindless factor when you break it down to: Don't stand in bad stuff + Watch Grid.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlzone View Post
    Luckily taunt isn't on the global cooldown...
    Unless you are macroing it(lol), it is still taking time to use it. That is the point. Why would you taunt adds that spawn withing 8 yards of the stack point and are going to run to you anyways? Learn to optimize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Think DPS is easy to learn but open End to master, for Example by reforging and regemming each fight to squeeze more DPS is costly, and to be the best DPS you have to beat every other player in the World unlike f.ex. Tank there to be the best you just survive all Boss attacks which is hard of course but many people can do this.
    Monk tanks can do the same with switching between crit and mastery builds. The best tanks are NOT just there to survive the attacks, they're there to contribute to the damage and maximize the damage they mitigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

I have to agree here and say Dps. The easiest raid member to replace is a Dps and the most forgiving role is Dps. If someone tunnels on a fight we can usually recover unless its high-stress or heroic progression.

Deleted
    Unless you are macroing it(lol), it is still taking time to use it. That is the point. Why would you taunt adds that spawn withing 8 yards of the stack point and are going to run to you anyways? Learn to optimize.
    No matter what you do with taunt, it is not going to suddenly be on the global cooldown. I really don't know what you are arguing here. Taunting an add will never be a disadvantage for you, but it will however potentially save whichever brainless raid member that thought it was a good idea to stand where they spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayshealing View Post
    I have to agree here and say Dps. The easiest raid member to replace is a Dps and the most forgiving role is Dps. If someone tunnels on a fight we can usually recover unless its high-stress or heroic progression.
    I'd say the easiest to replace is healers, if we're talking about actual content and not flex and pugs, usually also the least bother if they die in 25m as well - even in 10man if someone had to die and you have a CR I'd pref the healer. It's very easy to cover with other cd's until they get back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    If yo utake easiest to mean most forgiving then generally DPS and more specifically ranged dps.

Tanks and healers aren't HARD but if you aren't good at them it tends to snowball and people die, you wipe or at the least it's much harder to do a fight than if you're good. With DPS all you need to be able to do most of the time is execute your rotation and use your CDs reasonably well and get out of fire. Even if you die it's not a wipe and if you live but aren't great DPS you'll probably still beat the boss (or rather, if you don't, it's not your fault).

Since most people ask about easiest to avoid the stress of being the person on whom the success or failure of the encounter rests, I'd go ranged DPS. However, I think any good player can do fine at any of the roles if they put in some time learning.

Having played all three roles, in a raid environment the order from easiest to hardest:

Bad DPS -> Tanking -> Good DPS -> Healing -> Healing Bad DPS

Healing requires by far the most triage and critical thinking as well as every other aspect of the fight that the tanks and DPS have to worry about for the most part. Aside from MW they are all considered range and have to move for range mechanics while at the same time knowing about tank debuffs and critical fight timers. The other two roles don't compare on a consistent basis.

Deleted
    Depends of the fight.

If i am DPS only nukin shit down, then DPS is easy. But if i am kiting adds and removing enrage while dodging shit on the floor then its not that easy.

Similar way if only challenge for a tank is to taunt and swap, that isn't something very challenging.

Healing is the hardest most of the time because it requires right timing and predicting. IMO this is role where mistakes cost a lot, whole raid in worst case. I did some healing in Firelands and DS so i am not that experienced with this role.

Deleted
    Cause tanking right now is just about maintaining threat and tankswap ^^. A tank right (under progress) Had to juggle inbetwwen getting enough vengance to survive push the numbers you need. Do your dps rotation and still do the dps and handle the mecanics

Quote Originally Posted by Manigon View Post
    Cause tanking right now is just about maintaining threat and tankswap ^^. A tank right (under progress) Had to juggle inbetwwen getting enough vengance to survive push the numbers you need. Do your dps rotation and still do the dps and handle the mecanics
    Ignoring that very little vengeance abuse mechanics were left in 5.4 comparatively, the three bolded points are all the same. Yes a tank is supposed to push buttons to survive, as per AM, and yes - tanks unfortunately do still have to handle some mechanics, even if they tend to get ignored for a lot of them blizzard is doing a good job of including them in the fights more these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."