Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard wants tank specs to be viable; massive mistake?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...1747932?page=1

So reading that, they are increasing damage tank specs will take at all times, and they claim that tank specs already do poor damage; I have found that to be a complete fallacy so far (Yea, its beta I am aware)

This video, around one hour starting, is a rogue/ww (Rank one players) Versus a resto shaman/prot warrior. The warrior doubled the damage of both dps on the other team, while being unkillable for five minutes straight, with two dps on him.

(Note, I am not linking that to promote his stream; I just have no other way to show the video)

http://www.twitch.tv/rzn732/c/4572271

They say they want to make it "Fun" to fight as or against prot classes again; I do not see how that will be possible with how insane "Active mitigation" is to a tank spec, unless they completely neuter it in pvp.
    You're a towel.

Dat glad stance too strong lol.

Deleted
    hmmm...has the damage turning happened yet ? I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppah View Post
    hmmm...has the damage turning happened yet ? I'm pretty sure it hasn't.
    You in a couple months:
    Is it released yet? I'm pretty sure it isn't.
    You on release:
    I'm pretty sure they can still patch it.

Trying to fit tank specs into PvP balance as anything other than a niche role for RBG flag carrying is just a fundamentally bad idea. Trying to balance damage input and output against eachother doesn't work well, even when they try to do it between DPS specs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    This video, around one hour starting, is a rogue/ww (Rank one players) Versus a resto shaman/prot warrior. The warrior doubled the damage of both dps on the other team, while being unkillable for five minutes straight, with two dps on him.
    Beta, beta, beta. They haven't even tuned most spells yet. Flash of Light crits are full healing my friend on his Ret, and Execution Sentence kills everything. Complaining about PvP *now* is just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Beta, beta, beta. They haven't even tuned most spells yet. Flash of Light crits are full healing my friend on his Ret, and Execution Sentence kills everything. Complaining about PvP *now* is just stupid.
    That does NOT change the fact that they want this to be viable specs, nobody has any fun when prot specs are viable. And as someone else said, the same things happened in cata and mop beta's and nothing changed for patches
    You're a towel.

Been on the Beta for a quick bit, and it's really nice to have some proper DPS that isn't tied to Vengeance.

The fact is Vengeance causes Tank damage to be insane, in some cases out-performing some actual DPS members. With the removal of Vengeance, and being replaced with Resolve, it's important for them to still make Tank damage viable for questing, leveling and into raiding, without it being tied to a mechanic that promotes taking more damage to push more DPS.

Edit: Just seen this is in the PvP Forum. Didn't notice. Not sure how I feel about Tanks being as viable as a DPS considering their extreme capability to play insanely defensive as it is.
    Last edited by Hyve; 2014-07-03 at 10:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, them adding 25% more damage taken to prot specs does matter, BUT with active mitigation they are still incredibly "tanky" and not a viable target for anyone at the moment.
    You're a towel.

Tanks should take and mitigate dmg, whilst preventing dmg to allies. DPS should deal dmg. Healers should heal dmg taken.

These were the original roles.

These roles should never have changed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Speaking from the warrior perspective it's not a spec but rather a stance. I do agree with keeping tank specs well away from PvP.
    It's funny though, that glad stance is the best designed spec on beta right now for warriors.
    RIP in pepperoni arms and fury. fix is needed!

10+ Year Old Account
    Being excluded from half of the end-game is kind of shitty, I hope they make all tanks useful in PvP come WoD.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2014-07-03 at 11:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

@OP: Apparently the article you read and the one I read are completely different things. They basically just said that because of the vengeance changes, tanks will have more dps, which makes them more of a threat. Because of this, they're nerfing tank survivability exclusively in pvp. Nowhere in there did they say they wanted tank specs to be any more viable than they are currently, like your title implies.

Any arguments about damage on beta are stupid. They've publicly said they haven't done a damage pass yet. My hunter crits for 20-30k on beta while my warrior crits for 100k. Until they actually do a damage pass, we have no idea how it's going to play out, and it seems like you're just being a drama queen until then. Imo.

I'm not wild about it. But to be fair I don't think healers are any more balanced or fun to fight against than tanks are. They're just as broken as far as I'm concerned. Supposedly that won't be the case next expansion but I'll believe that when I see it. I doubt they'll ever balance tank damage and mitigation though. But I'm alright with them trying since they've admitted it's an experiment that they'll scrap if it simply doesn't work.

For the record, that's not a tank. It's a gladiator stance warrior, which is pretty much a dps spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    If someone told me how to play I'd show them a simulation dps graph made out of dick pics.

good change. 25% penalty is too high though

Deleted
    That's why it's beta, it may be overpowered now, but things will change.

Deleted
    Gladiator Stance isn't a Prot Warrior AT ALL.

They don't get crit immunity and they don't get half the defensive abilities that Protection Warriors do, think of them as a Fury Warrior with a shield and 1 hander (or a DPS Build Crusader in D3)

Quote Originally Posted by panthro7 View Post
    Tanks should take and mitigate dmg, whilst preventing dmg to allies. DPS should deal dmg. Healers should heal dmg taken.

These were the original roles.

These roles should never have changed.
    But you understand why they changed, right? Tanks can't elect to be hit in the face in PVP. They tended to be CC machines while the healers got punched in the face repeatedly.

So the healers are your tanks.
    Your hybrids become your healers.
    And your tanks become your CC engines.

Yeah, WoW PVP is an interesting bag...

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Deleted
    stop complaining, tanks in pvp are stupid right now, blizzard wants to make them better = more whining.