Sore neck while listening to music

Everytime I put my headphones on to listen to music, the right/back side of my neck feels very strained. I try stretching it but it doesn't do anything.

Just now, I was listening to music for about 20 minutes and it happened. I tried fighting through it but its pretty sore now. I took the headphones off and my neck is fine now.

I'm at work, sitting the same way I've been sitting all day. My neck hasn't been sore today, except when the headphones go on. We have music playing all day however so it seems to be the music directly on my ears, yet the volume of music isn't anything mind blowing.

Anyone else with this problem? Thoughts?

Deleted
    How heavy are these headphones?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    How heavy are these headphones?
    They're very light, cordless headphones. Logitech ones, very simply.

At first when I had headphones with a cord, I thought it was the tension of the cord that was pulling on my neck but now I have these ones and it's the same thing.

I hafta use over-ear headphones (as opposed to on ear and buds) because the little nubs on my ears stick out and if pressure is applied for longer than ~10 min I get a wicked tension headache.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20014295

I've found that if I'm concentrating on something and my glasses are falling off or have headphones in I tense up without realizing it. Make sure you relax your head / neck muscles

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Try wearing the headphones slightly off of your ears.
    I've done this and it helps a bit. Would like to know why I'm getting a sore neck though.

Maybe it's not the weight but how the weight is distributed, try in-ear headphones or headphones with neck band?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    its certainly sounds like pressure being applied by the headphones, or maybe its how to listen to music? How do you listen, on your bed, your chair, is your neck supported when you listen to it?
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably the pressure from the headset squeezing together , or you're subconsciously using some neck muscles while wearing them. Try ear-plugs, there's plenty of very high quality ones out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    What type of music are you listening to?

The problem is likely caused by tension. You are probably not as relaxed as you believe yourself to be while listening to music with these headphones on.

Also don't headbang too hard :P

Bang your head against the stage
    Like you never did before
    Make it ring Make it bleed
    Make it really sore
    In a frenzied madness
    with your leather and your spikes
    Heads are bobbing all around
    It is hot as hell tonight

Adrenaline starts to flow
    You're thrashing all around
    Acting like a maniac
    Whiplash

PTSD? would you happen to also be hypersensitive to light, smell, touch, taste and sound? Do you have symptoms of alexithymia (emotional numbness)? just a wild guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Try some ear phones or try a different headset. Are you getting headaches? I get headaches when I wear my headset too long, which then leads to getting a sore neck.
    I do get headaches, but not related to music. I typically wake up with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    its certainly sounds like pressure being applied by the headphones, or maybe its how to listen to music? How do you listen, on your bed, your chair, is your neck supported when you listen to it?
    Ii'm at work sitting in a chair.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Probably the pressure from the headset squeezing together , or you're subconsciously using some neck muscles while wearing them. Try ear-plugs, there's plenty of very high quality ones out there.
    I thought about that, using or not using muscles when they're on.

I also thought it might be the sound going through my neck and doing something to my muscles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    What type of music are you listening to?
    It was Deadmau5 when I made the post.. but I listen to a lot of rap / punk and it still happens. Happens when I listen to lighter stuff like City and Color, so it's not the type of music.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The problem is likely caused by tension. You are probably not as relaxed as you believe yourself to be while listening to music with these headphones on.

Also don't headbang too hard :P

I don't headbang.. I do headnod a bit when there's a good song

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swineflu View Post
    PTSD? would you happen to also be hypersensitive to light, smell, touch, taste and sound? Do you have symptoms of alexithymia (emotional numbness)? just a wild guess.
    Don't know what PTSD is. I don't think I'm numb to emotion.

I have something similar, but not really neck related. Glass wearers will probably relate :P I even have visible dents from that on my skin/skull

Deleted
    switch to speakers, Problem solved.

Seriously though, have you tried other makes and models of headphones ?
    I used to get terrible pressure headaches from my old 5.1 headset, but as soon as I switched to another Cheaper manufacturer, the headaches stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    switch to speakers, Problem solved.

Seriously though, have you tried other makes and models of headphones ?
    I used to get terrible pressure headaches from my old 5.1 headset, but as soon as I switched to another Cheaper manufacturer, the headaches stopped.
    I work in an office, not everyone likes my music.

I've had this issue with 2 different headsets here at work, one with a cord and one without.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just listening to something on youtube really quick my headphones on, after it was done I forgot to take them off. Had them on for about 15 minutes and my neck is sore, despite there being no music coming out from them (there is music coming out from the speakers in the office).

Deleted
    As a frequent browser of /r/medicine and a pro TF2 medic player and given your symptons, I have to diagnose you with ass-cancer and if you don't get a new ass it will likely explode within the hour.

good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I was just listening to something on youtube really quick my headphones on, after it was done I forgot to take them off. Had them on for about 15 minutes and my neck is sore, despite there being no music coming out from them (there is music coming out from the speakers in the office).
    in that case it is down to the headsets you are using. I have three suggestions.

1 - stop listening to music at work, Might not be ideal but would solve the problem
    2 - Switch to ear Buds. Next to no pressure on your neck, but might give sore ear holes after prolonged use.
    3 - Bend out the head set so it is not placing as much pressure on your ears, from what you said in post

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    I've done this and it helps a bit. Would like to know why I'm getting a sore neck though.
    it sounds like the pressure of the headset on your ears is giving you the neck ache, The arteries and veins in your ears are connected to your neck so any pressure on them could cause the pain to be felt in your neck. source
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2014-07-06 at 09:03 PM.