Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ...
11
19
20
21
22
23
... LastLast
  1. #401
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    I love comments like this.

    So because your world has been normalized for people like you, you see no reason to normalize it for other people. Amazing.

    Let me guess - you don't care about the lack of representation of non-white people too? rofl...

    Please don't pretend to be an ally if you aren't one. That's just half-assing it. If you don't know what the big deal is, do some research and employ some empathy. You don't know how life is for people who are not yourself.
    Friend!
    (I'm trying really hard not to go on a tirade since it'll derail the thread in a huge way, so thanks for being the one to do it)

  2. #402
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzelbar View Post
    Because it is a trend of time in the free world. Try stating you opinion on this if it differs from the majority of those "free" people, and you'll get a ban at best or incessant public shaming and a real lot of acid comments at worst.
    IDK I've been trying to figure this one out because I want to understand what the problem is:

    Characters can't have sex in wow, other than via ERP and that's not limited to... anything really. So it's not that.

    Yeah, the women in wow are attractive but I assume the men are too? They're certainly buff. Is it the difference in armor that's the problem? Maybe that's it.

    Or is it that few if any NPCs are openly gay? I mean, they aren't openly straight either, but maybe everybody just assumes they are? Who can tell whether the Innkeeper is straight or gay? The cook in the Inn? The stable master? Heck I don't know, but maybe it's a problem?

    Star Trek (for example) is famous for pushing controversial topics on society, and maybe people think WoW and/or video games in general should be too?

    All I do know is that I don't buy or play games that beat me over the head with anything - anything at all - because my entertainment money is for just that - my entertainment. I also don't see movies with messages, normally. Same reason. I'll watch 'em on Netflix streaming but I won't go out of my way to have a DVD of them sent to me and I certainly won't see them in theaters. Your message may be important and that's fine, but you should then be spending your money to share your message with me, vs. me spending my money in order to receive your message from you.

    I will ask my gay friends their point of view on this but even then it's not like a few people represent 15% of the population. Still, it'll be interesting.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    I love comments like this.

    So because your world has been normalized for people like you, you see no reason to normalize it for other people. Amazing.

    Let me guess - you don't care about the lack of representation of non-white people too? rofl...

    Please don't pretend to be an ally if you aren't one. That's just half-assing it. If you don't know what the big deal is, do some research and employ some empathy. You don't know how life is for people who are not yourself.
    Ah! You've rendered my previous comment moot by explaining the problem! Thank you!

  3. #403
    Quote Originally Posted by Srg56 View Post
    Who's next? Metzen?
    yes please...

  4. #404
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post
    Yeah, but on those games his job has been to oversee shit (ie do nothing and earn cash), not design the games himself. He did too good of a job on earlier games, which led to him being over-promoted it almost seems like.
    Exactly, oversee. Which means appointing the people who will actually be designing the game, further coming down to the judgment of the person. Similarly Todd Howard doesn't do the nuts and bolts programming when coding Elder Scrolls games anymore (used to during Morrowind), but Skyrim is effectively his vision and wouldn't have been the success that it is had he selected the wrong people.

    Rob Pardo actually apologised for selecting Jay Wilson (who later resigned) to head the design team for Diablo 3 given he was the executive producer of the project, hence his name being associated with the outcome of the game.

  5. #405
    Old God Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    10,667
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    I love comments like this.

    So because your world has been normalized for people like you, you see no reason to normalize it for other people. Amazing.

    Let me guess - you don't care about the lack of representation of non-white people too? rofl...

    Please don't pretend to be an ally if you aren't one. That's just half-assing it. If you don't know what the big deal is, do some research and employ some empathy. You don't know how life is for people who are not yourself.
    "trying to bully Blizzard into making LGBTQ characters" was my favourite phrase. Like there was some kinda "Clockwork Orange"-like group going to Chris Metzen and painting dicks all over his house.
    Last edited by Nindoriel; 2014-07-04 at 12:17 AM.

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by lockdwn View Post
    Does it really matter? Everyone will still play.. because we have alot of time invested in our toons if you have been around since vanilla. I agree the game has gone soft.. but as long as you find the right guild and focus on what you like to do.. its still challenging.. Old school players want to down hard bosses.. WOTLK want to face roll .. pvp is well pvp.. . Do what you like to do.. and move on
    Logic... reason... I agree though find your own thing, do it and if you aren't happy find what makes you happy.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    "trying to bully Blizzard into making LGBTQ characters" was my favourite phrase.
    -Raises hand.- I'm not really on the side of forcing sexuality on characters... The main story characters often are heterosexual buuut the amount of fucks this gay guy gives is about.. 0. It is a game, a story, and honestly I feel happy just playing as I do.

  7. #407
    Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    I hope so. Chris Metzen is largely the one behind these new stupid publicity stunts like that Chopper programme.
    Oh rly? Care to provide any type of source as to how you can say Chris Metzen, creative director is suddenly the Marketing Producer on Wow? Do you honestly believe Blizzard is lead by like 3 people that does everything from game design, story telling, marketing, sells, art direction, music direction, project coordination, production management.

    You have no clue how a game studio like Blizzard runs.

    What more probable is that the marketing team which came out with the idea of the choppers decided to use the most recognizable faces at Blizz, which are Sam and Chris.

    If you think Chris Metzen spend his worj time finding new business strategy to make more money instead of making a good game. Youcare just wrong.

    As for the topic: I think that whatever really happened, it's a huge hit to Blizz future success.

  8. #408
    High Overlord Grayjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    130
    I disagree. A CCOs vision matters, but it's ultimately a collaborative position. It's also potentially beneficial to shake up a creative culture every now and then.

  9. #409
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    "trying to bully Blizzard into making LGBTQ characters" was my favourite phrase. Like there was some kinda "Clockwork Orange"-like group going to Chris Metzen and painting dicks all over his house.
    All because they can't just make a character like anyone else and learn how to RP. As far as the wow story containing lgbt characters they do exist. Not to mention whatever hero you created is part of the main story. So if you are one of the types that uses your hero to put yourself into the game then your hero would be portrayed as gay? Really childish to want to molest a developer because you lack imagination.http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=2896
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2014-07-04 at 01:04 AM.

  10. #410
    RIOT: please hire this guy immediately.

  11. #411
    Herald of the Titans Sibut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,730
    I don't believe for a second that he doesn't know what he's doing next, he totally has an exit strategy and a new job lined up.

  12. #412
    Immortal Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    I don't believe for a second that he doesn't know what he's doing next, he totally has an exit strategy and a new job lined up.
    Why?

    A dude with that kind of Experience and expertise certainly makes enough money to take it easy and relax for a few months.
    After that, I seriously doubt that he will have a hard time getting accepted into ANY company of his choice.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  13. #413
    This news has shocked me. It's amazing how many people have answered and seem blasé about this, this IS the biggest departure from Wow since its start and it's a very very bad sign. This guy was a large part of the game's inception and was part of the heights this game reached when it was actually good. You can't replace people like that. It's like having a hit book or series of books, then someone else comes in and tries to write more but it's not the same. Last two expansions have felt like that though, it's just not the same.

    Also, it's staggering how many people don't understand the meaning of hyperbole. And then you have people agreeing with the people that don't understand its meaning. No wonder this site has such a bad reputation.

  14. #414
    Sad to see him go, I had high hopes seeing him back on the team for WOD after how lacking some of the expansions he hadn't worked on felt compared to those he had.

    Quote Originally Posted by ForestWalker View Post
    -Raises hand.- I'm not really on the side of forcing sexuality on characters... The main story characters often are heterosexual buuut the amount of fucks this gay guy gives is about.. 0. It is a game, a story, and honestly I feel happy just playing as I do.
    Are they?

    I'm not super into the lore, but as far as I'm aware there's not THAT many characters that are explicitly hetero, you have Thrall with a kid, but for the most part characters seem relatively asexual in their activities.

    Which is probably how I like it.
    I really don't care what 99% of lore characters do in their bedroom and they can keep their sex life to themselves - it rarely, if ever, seems to make for interesting story telling and in a game with regular activities being saving the world from old gods or world ending dragons, your sexual orientation seems pretty minor and not something I was a player want to have thrust at me by the story, it's petty in scope.

  15. #415
    Immortal Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    7,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Which is probably how I like it.
    I really don't care what 99% of lore characters do in their bedroom and they can keep their sex life to themselves - it rarely, if ever, seems to make for interesting story telling and in a game with regular activities being saving the world from old gods or world ending dragons, your sexual orientation seems pretty minor and not something I was a player want to have thrust at me by the story, it's petty in scope.
    Me too.
    Contrary to cheesy US movies, when your life and world is on the line, sexuality is (or rather should be) one of the last things in your mind.
    Humping the queen comes AFTER you save the world and since in Warcraft a new menace arises instantly whenever you've put one down, that poor queen will have to exercise a lot of patience.

    Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

  16. #416
    Quote Originally Posted by Judgedredd View Post
    I hope so. Chris Metzen is largely the one behind these new stupid publicity stunts like that Chopper programme.
    Chris and Samwise were chosen to be part of that because they're faces fans recognize. I'm pretty sure the Blizzard Marketing department came up with the Chopper idea and Chris and Sam were roped into it.

    I'm sorry, but I work right next to Marketing folks and I overhear most of their projects and initiatives. The minute I saw the Chopper thing, it smacked of a marketing push.

  17. #417
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Sad to see him go, I had high hopes seeing him back on the team for WOD after how lacking some of the expansions he hadn't worked on felt compared to those he had.



    Are they?

    I'm not super into the lore, but as far as I'm aware there's not THAT many characters that are explicitly hetero, you have Thrall with a kid, but for the most part characters seem relatively asexual in their activities.

    Which is probably how I like it.
    I really don't care what 99% of lore characters do in their bedroom and they can keep their sex life to themselves - it rarely, if ever, seems to make for interesting story telling and in a game with regular activities being saving the world from old gods or world ending dragons, your sexual orientation seems pretty minor and not something I was a player want to have thrust at me by the story, it's petty in scope.
    Ah yes. Another authoritative comment from the knucklehead gallery.

    How about not trying to imply gay people are merely sexual entities. How about the mere mention of a wife is, in most cases, an explicit description of heterosexuality. Oh, no married couples in wow? No hetero consorts? Right.

    It's pretty amazing how numb straight white kids are to the realities of the world abd just how much of your experience is explicitly tied to your way of life at the expense of others.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  18. #418
    Bloodsail Admiral Nillah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    You don't quit a job of 17 years without having a back-up, and he doesn't have a back-up. He got shit-canned. Come to terms.
    Seriously, stop making shit up. I'll never fathom why people get such joy out of thinking Blizzard employees have been fired.
    Avatar art by tumblr user kounyoukai

  19. #419
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    Sad to see him go, I had high hopes seeing him back on the team for WOD after how lacking some of the expansions he hadn't worked on felt compared to those he had.



    Are they?

    I'm not super into the lore, but as far as I'm aware there's not THAT many characters that are explicitly hetero, you have Thrall with a kid, but for the most part characters seem relatively asexual in their activities.

    Which is probably how I like it.
    I really don't care what 99% of lore characters do in their bedroom and they can keep their sex life to themselves - it rarely, if ever, seems to make for interesting story telling and in a game with regular activities being saving the world from old gods or world ending dragons, your sexual orientation seems pretty minor and not something I was a player want to have thrust at me by the story, it's petty in scope.
    Lore is not just the obvious stuff in game but the books as well. And yeah, if they talk about relationships it's always straight relationships. Not just Thrall got a kid(and an entire love story)....Wrynn obviously got one, the old deceased Tauren Leader has one...Saurfang too...you do not always have love storys(like Jainas) but kids give you a clear idea about their sexuality.

    The question is not if there has to be a homosexual in the game...the question is why there is none. Why is it even a topic? Why didn't they come up with one yet? I mean, what would be the problem about letting little androgyne Anduin Wrynn, the dedicated future hero, be gay? Or why not having a gay dragon(I mean, they are aspects...they shouldn't have to be sexual at all...but they are straight!). Sylvanas would have made an interesting homosexual as well. The question is not "why?", it's "why not?". How can it be normal if we still have to discuss about it in freaking games?

    I mean, nobody expects Blizz to let Thrall explore his homosexual side(tho that would be a strong statement against public clichés)....but it wouldn't hurt them to throw a bone to the LGBT-people.
    Last edited by Pacster; 2014-07-04 at 02:08 AM.

  20. #420
    You are delusional if you think he was fired - he is irreplaceable. For example, Rob Perdo is primarily responsible for greenlighting Hearthstone at Blizzard. Someone of his experience and success can choose to work where-ever he wants, and he simply doesn't want to work at Blizzard anymore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •