Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    WoD - Marksman PVP viable? (World.)

    Hi!

    So, I've been in the beta for a while now, and I've played a ton of toons. still trying to pick my WoD main.

    I want it to be hunter, but I just can't seem to figure them out. MM with lone wolf is my spec of CHOICE. I do not think it's the best, it just.. works for me.

    my question is, since I'm AWFUL at this stuff, am I right in assuming Mastery is weak as hell for a pvp hunter? considering we aren't really still long enough to get use from it?

    Basically, I really WANT to love hunter in WoD.. but it's just not clicking thus far, and I can't tell if it's because I'm doing something wrong or it's just.. crap?

  2. #2
    I still haven't got a beta key, so all I can do is theoricrafting.

    Like you, I want to have fun playing a sniper (MM with Lone Wolf). And yeah, the Mastery is pretty weak for PvP. It'll be useless in arenas, since you have to move in order to attack someone behind a pillar. I can see it being useful against other ranged in BGs, but once a melee gets up to us it will becomes useless as well, because It also has terrible sinergy with all of our defenses (which are: "move from harm"). Also, LW removes Master's Call, which is yet another of our defenses.

  3. #3
    Lone Wolf is not a viable talent for pvp. You lose too much utility by using it.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi Kass View Post
    Lone Wolf is not a viable talent for pvp. You lose too much utility by using it.
    BM is not a viable spec for PvP. You lose too much damage because of retarded pet AI because of it.

    I like generalisations.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/6/6 | TPR: 0.5/3.5/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    BM is not a viable spec for PvP. You lose too much damage because of retarded pet AI because of it.

    I like generalisations.
    Because not having Master's Call, Roar of Sacrifice, Spirit Bond and a mob to keep stealthers in combat behind the pilar is the same as the occasional situation where your pet fucks up pathing.

    Maybe one day you will break that 1300 rating.
    Last edited by Epi Kass; 2014-09-08 at 11:39 AM.

  6. #6
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi Kass View Post
    Because not having Master's Call, Roar of Sacrifice, Spirit Bond and a mob to keep stealthers in combat behind the pilar is the same as the occasional situation where your pet fucks up pathing.
    Because killing your enemy 30% faster means you don't need any of that stuff, especially when one of those is a talent (and hence has equals on its tier).

    Rating has nothing to do with this, lol.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I want it to be hunter, but I just can't seem to figure them out. MM with lone wolf is my spec of CHOICE. I do not think it's the best, it just.. works for me.
    Arcane Mage was my PvP spec of choice, you just have to understand that there's always going to be limitations on taking the non-PvP spec to PvP.

    Because lolbalance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    am I right in assuming Mastery is weak as hell for a pvp hunter?
    Almost definitely.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/6/6 | TPR: 0.5/3.5/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Because killing your enemy 30% faster means you don't need any of that stuff, especially when one of those is a talent (and hence has equals on its tier).

    Rating has nothing to do with this, lol.
    Yes, doing 30% more dps sure helps tons when you have a warrior/rogue/feral sitting and your disengage is countered with a gap closer, at which point you should Master's Call, Conc Shot and take range...oh wait, you don't have Master's Call cause 30% more damage.

    Yes, rating has a lot to do with it, as you look to me like you don't have enough pvp experience if you say things like this, and this is a thread about pvp.
    Last edited by Epi Kass; 2014-09-08 at 11:51 AM.

  8. #8
    Epic! Anium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Posts
    1,602
    They could have done so much more with the lone wolf talent, instead they just made it shit. Poor hunters

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi Kass View Post
    Because not having Master's Call, Roar of Sacrifice, Spirit Bond and a mob to keep stealthers in combat behind the pilar is the same as the occasional situation where your pet fucks up pathing.
    True. I think it's possible to have fun in low-rank PvP with LW, but no one who wants to get to a big rank will take the talent.

    The burst of LW is nice, and I think if you select the talent you are willing to have no pet. But losing Master's Call and Spirit Bond is indeed too much.

  10. #10
    I am Murloc! Firebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colchester, land of the squaddies, UK
    Posts
    5,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Epi Kass View Post
    Yes, doing 30% more dps sure helps tons when you have a warrior/rogue/feral sitting on you, just ask elemental shamans how that works out for them.
    Because you don't have Disengage, traps, Scatter, Conc, or anything else, and Warriors lose Safeguard root-breaking next expansion.

    Thirteen-hundred indeed.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/1 | Mafia: 0/6/6 | TPR: 0.5/3.5/4
    SK: 0/1/1 | VT: 1.5/3.5/5 | Cult: 1/0/1
    Glyphmaster Gunhaver

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Because you don't have Disengage, traps, Scatter, Conc, or anything else, and Warriors lose Safeguard root-breaking next expansion.

    Thirteen-hundred indeed.
    Scatter Shot is gone in WoD, btw.

    I wish I could see what you do when a rogue stuns you and your trinket is on CD or a warrior uses Bladestorm and your disengage is on cd. Normally you would Roar of Sac but no such thing cause 30% more damage.

    Hunter with LW = arcane mage. You got the damage but don't have the tools. Yes it will probably work in bgs if you're good at hiding behind meat shields but in arenas, duels and wpvp, LW is a joke.

  12. #12
    All classes got nerfed in CC and offense, and there are less DR categories, so things may not be so bad. However, LW still has less defenses and utility than standard Hunter.

  13. #13
    lol anyone who things lone wolf will be a viable pvp talent does not PVP as a hunter.

    Freedom and Sac are too invaluable, you're teammates should slap you if you decided take a spec which makes them unusable.
    Last edited by Emophia; 2014-09-08 at 01:02 PM.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Brawl Pub
    Posts
    4,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    Because killing your enemy 30% faster means you don't need any of that stuff, especially when one of those is a talent (and hence has equals on its tier).

    Rating has nothing to do with this, lol.
    MM has traditionally been about control in PvP, especially with the lolburst spec which was BM this xpac. Sure, you could line up some short term burst with instant AiS and Chimera shot, but the former is going away in WoD, making MM even more about burst. Honestly, I don't know how anyone could argue losing all the control utility by selecting Lone Wolf is worth it when you can get Frozen Ammo to have almost constant slows on whoever you're training.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    All classes got nerfed in CC and offense, and there are less DR categories, so things may not be so bad. However, LW still has less defenses and utility than standard Hunter.
    Melee mobility was almost untouched and we lost pet cc and Scatter Shot. Casters are basically screwed in PvP atm and I'm almost 100% sure a melee mobility nerf will come at some point.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Vholu View Post
    Melee mobility was almost untouched and we lost pet cc and Scatter Shot. Casters are basically screwed in PvP atm and I'm almost 100% sure a melee mobility nerf will come at some point.
    Yes, we lost CC, but everyone lost CC as well. Also, less DR categories mean more CC being nerfed by DR. That means we will have more time in control of our characters. And with more HP, less CC and less DPS CDs per class, there will be less "killed in one Stun" situations.

    And I really doubt "casters are screwed". People often exagerate about mobility.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    And with more HP, less CC and less DPS CDs per class, there will be less "killed in one Stun" situations.
    Not "quite" true in world pvp right now at least. I've been stunned and killed in 4 seconds in Ashran in full pvp gear with 2 people on me (it was a ret pally and a rogue).

    They are still doing damage tuning and it was two people not one, but there can be cases still where people can seem to wombo combo you. Haven't had anything as drastic happen in 1v1 yet.

  18. #18
    There would be less "killed in one stun" situations if they'd just fucking cap all stuns to 3 seconds in PvP.

  19. #19
    MM world should be viable, sadly you will not want Lone Wolf for it, since you will be the one targeted directly, you are going to need your extra utility. Also expect to be stunned and trained quite a bit, if you don't have a pet your damage will dip massively (pet does damage when you are stunned, too).

    LW is great in large BGs like AV, or Ashran when you can sit back and turret though! Stay in a group because if you get singled out and a rogue jumps on you there's nothing that will save you (assuming you are using LW)

    For MM in general, remember that chimera shot doesn't automatically give you 5% hp back anymore, only 2% at the cost of glyph space. You are gonna want spirit bond now more than ever (got nerfed down as well.)

    On a separate note..
    My beef with MM right now is the lack of arcane shots, feels like something is missing, I feel a lot more like a caster than I do on live...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by NutellaCrepe View Post
    For MM in general, remember that chimera shot doesn't automatically give you 5% hp back anymore, only 2% at the cost of glyph space. You are gonna want spirit bond now more than ever (got nerfed down as well.)
    Just a small note: relative health has been more than doubled, so percentage-based healing was "nerfed" to compensate, but overall you are healing close to the same amount as before.

    So, that 2% that the Glyph of Chimaera heals is closer to being 4% to 5% in live.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •