Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What would you do if Blizzard were to split?

There is a pretty strong theory going around, which people discussed both on this forum and on other websites, I even heard it being mentioned in a popular warcraft podcast yesterday, that Blizzard is on the verge of splitting. Ghostcrawler and Rob Pardo leaving apparently was because of their old special employment contracts ending and the new ones they were offered by Activision not being up to their standards. This coupled with many business and design disagreements with the board of directors of Activision-Blizzard apparently many of the core Blizzard employees are planning to leave over the course of the next few months. It might not be a surprise when soon Chris Metzen also leaves the ship, followed by Tom Chilton, Samwise Didier, Morhaime, Tigole and many other core members.

But where would that leave you?

Would you keep playing World of Warcraft designed by people who don't have the vision and experience of the 'real' Blizzard? Or would you as a customer follow along and rather support the games of the potential new company instead should Ghostcrawler, Rob Pardo, Chris Metzen and everyone else of the old team decide to start anew? Do you think WoW would have a future of quality gameplay without these people or would you put more trust in the core team instead?

Edit: There is obviously also the implication that by doing this they plan to boycot old Activision-Blizzard and might hope to see Warlords of Draenor being delayed until Q2 2015.
    Last edited by Anarch the Subduer; 2014-07-05 at 04:11 PM.
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦ INTJ

Warchief
    how does it even matte who is behind the blizzard "wheel", if im still having fun i will play if im not having fun i will quit and find another game...

Behind her rifle, in that tree you just passed.
    I think Metzen's conservative approach to story telling and personal bias within his creation is what prevents the WoW story from ever improving. It's themes are reused and weren't really inspired to begin with.
    If it's not an elf, leave it on the shelf.
    Night Elf Independence Movement

Well it would look funny if Rob Pardo joined Wildstar team (Some are old wow creators).

It would clearly call for doomsday.

I wouldn't leave if the content and gameplay was still good.

I'll leave when you can buy character progression directly from Blizzard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.
    Grievuuz#2550

How does an unpopular PvP designer leaving for an unrelated company last year, and a game designer turned suit who barely worked on WoW since BC, who left to pursue a creative outlet, equates to Blizzard employees quitting left and right. That's like, 2 long term employees turning over over the course of years, that's an incredibly (good) turnover rate considering how volatile the video game industry is these days.

Rob Pardo is a game designer, and the longer he stayed at Blizzard the more he got pushed into executive positions when really he is just a dude who likes making games. With his god tier resume he definitely found a position at an exciting new venture and he took that over a bigger paycheck at Blizzard. It definitely has nothing to do with internal politics, these tinfoil hat theories are ridiculous
    Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

Is it even possible for chris metzen to leave? He voices like everything :/

Why would you believe such a nonsense lol
    Blizzard is like best working place to work at.
    And most of them are like college friends? They ain't splitting lol
    Blizzard is to rich to split aswell.

Also Morhaime leaving? he owns blizzard basicly, he can basicly shut down Blizzard if he wants to lol
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

I don't play now, but I doubt they'd leave to start another company, they'll all go off individually and join other dev teams.

Was the reason you said for them leaving actually confirmed by them? Or is that just something they theorized on whatever you listened to?
    Because the way you say it, sounds like it's put forth as a newly discovered fact, never mind the fact that it's very tinfoil hat like, and makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    Edit: There is obviously also the implication that by doing this they plan to boycot old Activision-Blizzard and might hope to see Warlords of Draenor being delayed until Q2 2015.
    Yup, there it is. Sorry to break it to you, but there's no underground movement of ex-blizzard employees, they find other/better jobs.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-07-05 at 05:03 PM.
    I'm mean because you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Subduer View Post
    There is a pretty strong theory going around, which people discussed both on this forum and on other websites, I even heard it being mentioned in a popular warcraft podcast yesterday, that Blizzard is on the verge of splitting. Ghostcrawler and Rob Pardo leaving apparently was because of their old special employment contracts ending and the new ones they were offered by Activision not being up to their standards. This coupled with many business and design disagreements with the board of directors of Activision-Blizzard apparently many of the core Blizzard employees are planning to leave over the course of the next few months. It might not be a surprise when soon Chris Metzen also leaves the ship, followed by Tom Chilton, Samwise Didier, Morhaime, Tigole and many other core members.

But where would that leave you?

Would you keep playing World of Warcraft designed by people who don't have the vision and experience of the 'real' Blizzard? Or would you as a customer follow along and rather support the games of the potential new company instead should Ghostcrawler, Rob Pardo, Chris Metzen and everyone else of the old team decide to start anew? Do you think WoW would have a future of quality gameplay without these people or would you put more trust in the core team instead?

What a load of nonsense. There is also a pretty strong theory going around that Blizzard is actually run by the NSA and Greg and Rob found out about it and got replace by robot duplicates... or is there?

The only thing worthwhile in your post is the question 'would you quit WoW when people at Blizzard leave?. To that I say: No, of course not? Who cares who works at these games? I quit when the game isn't fun any more, no matter who is working on it. And I will also check out new games that look like fun to me, no matter who is working on them.
    "When you understand why you dismiss all the other gods people believe in, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Grunt
    Too many people act like they're children in a divorce case. You are customers, you either continue playing the game or you quit. If the game continues to appeal to me, I'll keep paying and playing. If it no longer appeals to me, I'll quit.

If the game was fun I'd play it if not I wouldn't. Who is behind that matter little to me the end result does.

- - - Updated - - -

This absurd assumption that so many have that they know just what certain employees do or bring to the table is idiotic. Outside of Blizzard none of us know who is really behind what and to what degree. Further more jumping to the conclusion that somebody else couldn't do the same thing or do it better is bonkers.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

lol wut? This is nonsense.

Holinka is new. I like Holinka.

Let Metzen go maybe we'll finally get some interesting stories without Thrall or Orcs.

As other already said: If the game is still fun I'll continue playing it. I play for the game not for the company. Same reason I have no problem buying and playing AND LOVING EA games.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    Knowing Celestalon, he both A) doesn't know and B) will nerf the spec until he figures it out while denying it ever happened.
    "Mastery will fix it."

As a game Wow has gone downhill for many years. Maybe new blood can turn things around.

Blizzard is doing fine. Two major things are happening. One the audience is growing older and this leads to rose tented glasses and less time to commit to the the game. Second WoW itself is getting older. This leads to it getting harder and harder to come up with new and creative ideas. The engine and mechanics are getting more and more dated.

A third thing is everyone that plays this game has played it so long that it just feels old and trashy. It isn't something to be ashamed of. Go back and play first person shooters from 10 years ago and realize how trashy and strange that feels compared to the current ones.

Don't forget that Starcraft is like a major staple of e-sports. A very quickly growing sport around the world and it still has its 3rd installation inc. They still own the #1 selling and subbing MMO (even if it isn't for long, or if it lasts, either way) with WoW. They are building a MOBA. They have a casual card game with hearthstone. One of the best selling action RPG / dungeon grinder games with Diablo III and its expansion. I am sure their are things that are still in the works. The Warcraft RTS is something I would love to see again.

So maybe yes.. one of Blizzards fruit trees is starting to not earn as many delicious snacks. But they have a grove of them still in the yard producing. Even if it isn't as big and powerful as the front runner.

I'd play the game if I still enjoyed it. Don't expect to unsub at any point during WoD with how great things are looking.

Speculation based on more speculation based on forum conspiracy theories.

But alright, I'll humor you:

I'd continue playing video games that I enjoy playing.

PS: If you think the entire founding developers of Blizzard, whom even IF they were all leaving in some mass exodus (they aren't), left each on their own, spread out over the course of a year and a half or more, would then go on to found a brand new company, you're wrong. The kinda wrong that makes a man want to go back to bed on an otherwise beautiful day.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2014-07-05 at 05:24 PM.

Heroic Recruitment -- Hersh's multi-PoV kill vids. -- Raids & Dungeons & Hunter kitty
    no one huntars like gaston

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    As a game Wow has gone downhill for many years. Maybe new blood can turn things around.
    New blood is primalrily why wow has gone downhill.
    And activision coming in here aswell. People say that activision got nothing to do with wow developement. Strange that blizzard turned on the spot about realm transfer and faction change. Which they said would NEVER happen. shortly after activision got involved in blizzard, wow got more paid services than pimp

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    New blood is primalrily why wow has gone downhill.
    And activision coming in here aswell. People say that activision got nothing to do with wow developement. Strange that blizzard turned on the spot about realm transfer and faction change. Which they said would NEVER happen. shortly after activision got involved in blizzard, wow got more paid services than pimp
    Raiding at a high level has gone uphill, so bring on the new blood.