Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    1) download latest drivers for any driver in your network section and modem section if your using a modem...but most are on broadband ethernet...

2) uninstall your driver or drivers to ethernet/wi-fi/modem- then reboot. (if you have experience getting into bio's turn off your network card before you uninstall reboot)

3) Get into bio's and turn on your network card if you did that then install new drivers. You may need to re-configure your connections with your network passwords.

4) unhook your cable box/modem from the wall for 30 seconds and ground out the cable copper tip briefly with a finger or something; unhook rehook all your connections; push your reset button for 10 seconds or unhook the power to the modem box breifly. rehook everything up.

5) physically disconnect and reconnect your network card in your computer box to reseat it.

6) about all you can do on your end as a computer user at home then you start replacing hardware or calling your ISP. you can call your ISP to ask them if in your area they are doing some work......you can wait it out for a little while before deciding you need new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Do you have more than one device with the same issue? I'd be curious as to what would happen if you bypassed the router. Maybe it is your router, only way to really be sure is bypass it.

It doesn't really work that way. At least not at the ISP i work for. Now if you were getting a new ip address every 24 hours, your internet would go down, and that would be an ISP issue
    the way a router works varies based on the make and doesn't care what an ISP does.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old is your router?
    If its 2-3 years old, its trash already and needs to be replaced.

I have to replace one every 2 years due to use up.
    Anyway, did you by a chance have a thunderstorm recently. Those things are kinda very affected by those.

Here is a bit more advanced guide:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/19913..._Fix_Them.html
    Don't sweat the details!!!

When I had this issue, it was that the router was recycling the DHCP every hour or so; I ended up calling them and telling them that it was unacceptable as I "work from home" (a fib, mostly) and demanded they fix it - I think they did something on their end and it resolved the issue, but if I have a power out or something it can come back. That could be your problem, does it go out just long enough to say kick you out of WoW (or other game) but not impede anything else?

Deleted
    I actually had that same issue about 4-5 years ago... Sadly I have no idea how it got fixed but likely a new router :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    the way a router works varies based on the make and doesn't care what an ISP does.
    Not disagreeing Im just saying the dhcp lease setting on a router would have no bearing on the internet going out briefly. The ip address would have to change; and you would lose your connection for that but that wouldn't be the routers fault.

I put my Xbox on and hopped in an online game while my pc was on WoW. Neither disconnected, so I'm gonna watch the problem and contact my ISP monday, as they'll likely not send anyone out till next week anyways.

I had this issue except it was everyday. I called my provider and they fixed it by telling me I had an extra cord plugged in that was causing interference.