Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Two 'Earth-like' planets don't exist

http://news.yahoo.com/two-earth-plan...211632207.html

well that's a bummer to read, that Planets Gliese d and g are not actually planets, but misinterpreted as garbled noise from the home star.

sad to hear, but onward to finding better and efficient ways of detecting habitable planets.

EDIT: I just submitted without changing the title to not make it sound like that there is NO earth like planets, sorry for the possible confusion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless... THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!

Deleted
    Was in Neil DeGrasse Tyson again?! Like Pluto wasn't enough. Now two more are not good enough to be planets and get demoted to "sunspots"..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Was in Neil DeGrasse Tyson again?! Like Pluto wasn't enough. Now two more are not good enough to be planets and get demoted to "sunspots"..
    haha nah it wasn't Tyson, some researchers in Pennsylvania researched more on this.

eh theres millions out there, our tech just cant see too much ATM. a bit pointless to focus on them anyways as were not even close to having the tech to leave our own solar system

10+ Year Old Account
    The odds of there being no Earth-like planets in the quadrillion ^ quadrillion plants just...seems wrong!

Life as we understand it requires stuff found in this planet. Other planets could be overflowing with types of life forms that process elements and all that other science stuff differently.

Do be so serious.

We don't have the ability to successfully launch a colony to another planet anyways...

Michael Crichton actually wrote an interesting book, Sphere, which was made into an awful movie, about the idea of non-carbon based alien life forms. No actual science behind it, but challenged the idea that alien life necessarily be anything remotely like us. If they even occupy the same 3 dimensions we do that would be a first step.

Quote Originally Posted by zingar View Post
    eh theres millions out there, our tech just cant see too much ATM. a bit pointless to focus on them anyways as were not even close to having the tech to leave our own solar system
    ^ This.

based on the current understanding, the universe is about the size of a monitor (let's say 27 inch), and we can only get somewhat decent data from 1 pixel.

If the world doesn't end in the next 5000 years thanks to a certain country that likes to play world police, then perhaps people by then will have access to 100 pixels of the entire 27 inch screen. Btw.. my screen has about 80 pixels... PER INCH

That's fine, there are millions more to choose from.

Deleted
    Has anyone got a stopwatch? I wanna time how long it takes Shinra to come in to tell everyone that obviously there arn't any other earth like planets since God only made this one for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Has anyone got a stopwatch? I wanna time how long it takes Shinra to come in to tell everyone that obviously there arn't any other earth like planets since God only made this one for us.
    as of 5:49 p.m. (U.S. Central), the time has started.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    You just made my day.

Deleted
    Well.. atleast we have Mr. Kepler floating around.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well it's confirmed bullshit because we've only explored what, 0.000000000000001% of the universe, even with the telescopes and satellites we have this far? How can the human race possibly confirm something doesn't exist inside of something they don't even know the size of?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The odds of there being no Earth-like planets in the quadrillion ^ quadrillion plants just...seems wrong!
    of course its wrong. Just because a bunch of government paid scientists spout their bullshit theory's doesn't make what they say anymore genuine then anyone elses theories, though I would trust people who look to the stars in pursuit for the truth on that merit alone far more then those who do it for their government, little rat assholes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Pinkie View Post
    Well it's confirmed bullshit because we've only explored what, 0.000000000000001% of the universe, even with the telescopes and satellites we have this far? How can the human race possibly confirm something doesn't exist inside of something they don't even know the size of?
    exactly. the universe is so vast and we can only see a tiny fraction of it, these assholes are just trying to get there names made famous.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres the thing with the universe, when you take speed of light into account for understanding how what we see works, if there are other planets in the universe with life on it, even if we could see it, it would be to late to do anything about it, since all we'd be seeing is a picture from millions of years ago, like what we see of the stars in the night sky, all are images our eyes are seeing from a long, long time ago.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    of course its wrong. Just because a bunch of government paid scientists spout their bullshit theory's doesn't make what they say anymore genuine then anyone elses theories, though I would trust people who look to the stars in pursuit for the truth on that merit alone far more then those who do it for their government, little rat assholes.
    Did you feel like reading the article before describing people as "little rat assholes" or did you decide that baseless outrage alone would suffice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Did you feel like reading the article before describing people as "little rat assholes" or did you decide that baseless outrage alone would suffice?
    I came to that 'baseless outrage' after reading it, I've seen so often scientists having reports and articles printed of their so called discoveries, like how having vitemin c gives you cancer or how they've discovered a brand new system for diabetics to live by that'll improve their lives but it doesn't. The only 'baseless' argument here comes from these fucking so call scientists themselves, who are only in it to make a new for themselves.
    #boycottchina

You can't have read it very well then.

You know they were talking about two specific planet right? Not claiming that there's only one earth-like planet in the entire universe?
    They were saying that two planets, which were formerly thought to be earth-like, actually aren't even planets.

So... mentioning the vastness of space was pointless? The probabilities involved over such vast scales? How you quoted someone who also didn't read the article, to say "Of course the scientists are wrong!" when that's not even what the scientists said at all?
    Because they were only talking about two specific planets?

At least this topic is still useful as an alarming showcase of how many people don't bother actually reading before responding.

I read somewhere that there are over 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe which in itself is less then 0.5% of the universe if you follow the closed sphere universe theory instead of the flat universe theory.
    So if you take 1 earth like planet per galaxy doesn't seem to far-fetched, this would mean 100 billion x 200 = 2 trillion earth type planets or am i seeing this wrong?