Poll: Do you workout?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I started up my gym membership a couple weeks ago. I pretty much fall into that center option.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    wouldn't running 8k be bad for your knee problems?
    Not if you do it on proper ground. If you do it on hard road then yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    23 years old and last month I decided to finally get back in shape. After high school, I kinda just stopped caring about how I looked. Not like I have girls to impress, have had the same girlfriend since out of high school which I love dearly. But lately I've been very weary of my self image. I've also noticed simple tasks such as going up stairs, lifting boxes, or just simply walking long distances would take a toll on me. So I decided something had to change. When I started last month, I was sitting at about 275 pounds, at 6 feet tall.

I've never been knowledgeable about all this fitness stuff, I just remained fit in high school due to being a very active teenager, was in the football team, skateboarded, bmx, lots of time in parks etc.. Anyways, I was about ready to send a ton of cash on a fitness trainer, until I decided to see if I could so something on my own. Found a bodybuilding website and they had a bunch of plans, found one I believed would wok for me and have stuck to it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/lee-...y-trainer.html

This is the plan I've stuck to in the past month. I read the reviews they seemed good, I was hesitant but something I hear a lot in these fitness communities is, 'Trust the plan'. So I've stuck to it, and I'm seeing results. So far I've lost a good amount of weight, almost 20 pounds, I do feel a little stronger, nothing really noticeable, but I suppose self-validation is key, as long as the motivation sticks. I try to follow the plan tic for tac as much as possible though I do bend the rules a little. For example, I try to do more reps and sets than issued by the guide. I despise cardio with a passion, the treadmill is just ugh... so for cardio, I just incline the treadmill as high as it can, at planet fitness is like level 15, and just walk a steady pace for at least half an hour.

Right now I'm on fish oils 3 times a day, one mega sport vitamin pill once a day, finished my creatine loading phase, now taking it once after workouts, whey gold standard protein shakes, casein shake before bed, a green vibrance shake for breakfast, and bcaa's during workouts. It is a lot to follow, a lot of change, but it's all become routine so it's no longer the hassle I felt it was in the beginning. Am I going too hard? I think so sometimes, being so new to all this stuff I do feel the amount of supplements I'm taking are a bit much, but I've noticed no negative affects thus far so I will continue my regiment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    That sounds pretty damn extreme. I don't even know if I believe it. Were you an athlete? I guess there's people for everything.
    Nah, I don't think it's totally crazy if you're a runner. I mean, it's definitely a lot and probably on the higher side even for a runner, but it's not so high that it crosses the threshold for unbelievable. That's like 20 miles a day, with one day off, less if you run every day.

My spouse ran almost that much every week for a year while training for a marathon. Now it's less weekly, but if you're the kind of person who does marathons regularly it's probably your normal routine.

Not that I'm dismissing the amount of effort and discipline that requires. Personally I'm tired and bored after, like, one mile.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2014-07-31 at 06:35 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Work out once in a blue moon/ Dont lift
    That option over estimates my athletic ability..if there is exercise involved i will actively avoid it...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    I work out my hand, if you know what I mean.
    I also high five competitively. I also hold a regional title in fist pumps.

I picked the exercise choice in the poll but even that's not truly honest for me. I exercise in phases. I know its bad, I know I need more motivation and I do want to get more consistent but it is what it is. For a couple months I can do go and exercise for an hour a day ...3 days a week. But then I hit a wall and for the next month solid I won't exercise at all.....then the month after that I go back to exercising a few weeks in a row...and it repeats itself.

I do exercise alone and I think that's part of it....I truly think its worlds easier to exercise regularly if you have an exercise / gym buddy.

One thing that's encouraging news though.....my local news channel CBS 3 (Philly)...ran a story on their website just yesterday claiming that a new study found that ANY amount of time spent jogging ...even as little as 10 minutes a day....reduces chance of death due to heart disease by as much as 40% and the chance of stroke as much as 30%.. PLUS.....in this same study they claim routinely running as little as just 10 minutes a day can add as much as 3 years to your life expectancy.

Impressive stuff I'd say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    That sounds pretty damn extreme. I don't even know if I believe it. Were you an athlete? I guess there's people for everything.
    Yes, I ran Cross Country, Track as well as played basketball in High School and first two years of college. It wasn't all needed but it was what I enjoyed so I pushed myself, unfortunately non sporting injuries and off court behavior issues lost me my scholarships.