Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Team Scotlands Uniform for the Commonwealth Games.

So with the Commonwealth Games coming up, my beloved countries team have unveiled their uniform.

And I really thought it was a joke. But it's not!

I personally think it looks ghastly, the designer said she was given a brief to make it have impact and have it make a statement whilst being contemporary.
    All I can think is, yes it's going to make an impact, and statement, just not a positive one in my opinion.

The colours are garish, and the dresses look frumpy (whats up with those handbags too ;o) I love our national dress, that are kilts, and I feel like they have done them a disservice!

What do you folks think? Think Team Scotlands athletes will be happy to parade around in these? I feel for them. I have a family member competing in the Commonwealth Games this year, when I see him next I will be asking! lol.

Article:http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/c...ue-new-3820073

(Also this isn't too serious of a thread, it is not the end of the world to have what I consider not very nice looking uniforms, but I thought it would be nice to hear what others think)

15+ Year Old Account
    Ouch, thats one ugly blue shirt.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I think they look quite sharp.

Deleted
    Too sharp blue colors. I think that if the blue had been mellowed out a bit the women's suits would've looked great. The men look horrible though. Just too simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Too sharp blue colors. I think that if the blue had been mellowed out a bit the women's suits would've looked great. The men look horrible though. Just too simplistic.
    Indeed! I also really dislike the camel coloured hose, it just looks -off- specially with the brogues being the same colour, makes them look like they have had a very bad tan job, and are standing there in bare legs and feet lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    Indeed! I also really dislike the camel coloured hose, it just looks -off- specially with the brogues being the same colour, makes them look like they have had a very bad tan job, and are standing there in bare legs and feet lol.
    I like that the women have white purses to create the Scottish flag, could've done a bit more elegantly but ultimately I like the idea. I'd also like to see the Scottish coat of arms incorporated somehow.

Also, what the fuck is up with the men's legs? I guess they were going for something like the guy in the middle in this pic:

But somehow they failed. How do you fail with a brown set of pants and a pair of simple leather shoes?

I like that the women have white purses to create the Scottish flag, could've done a bit more elegantly but ultimately I like the idea. I'd also like to see the Scottish coat of arms incorporated somehow.

[img]http://wiki.hattrick.org/w/images/7/74/Coat_of_arms_of_Scotland.PNG[img]

Also, what the fuck is up with the men's legs? I guess they were going for something like the guy in the middle in this pic:

But somehow they failed. How do you fail with a brown set of pants and a pair of simple leather shoes?
    They aren't actually pants (trousers) they are Hose (knee high socks) traditionally worn with a kilt The colour just makes it a bit less obvious being that they blend in so well with the mish mash of everything else lol.

Deleted
    I kinda like them, especially the dresses, they look really good

Fashion: It's highly subjective.

I think a better contemporary statement would have been to make the man and woman's uniforms identical.

I will admit, the colour doesn't look good to me as a dress. But I fail to see the problem as a shirt.

Did they not use a "Manly" enough blue?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    They aren't actually pants (trousers) they are Hose (knee high socks) traditionally worn with a kilt The colour just makes it a bit less obvious being that they blend in so well with the mish mash of everything else lol.
    Well, they look horrible. Is that band by the knee-area really a Celtic thing or some shit just added for looks? Why does it have to be such light poop-color? And why do they have modern leather shoes and not actual Celtic shoes? There's just so much wrong with the men in this picture! I can't get over it! Argh..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

I think a better contemporary statement would have been to make the man and woman's uniforms identical.

I will admit, the colour doesn't look good to me as a dress. But I fail to see the problem as a shirt.

It's just that the men's outfits just scream BLUUEEEEE and I just can't figure out why they wear blue to represent Scotland if they're not even using any clothing that adds the white cross to the outfit. As it is now it looks lazy and hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

Of course it is subjective that's why I said *personally* and just wanted other peoples opinions too I know some will like them, some won't, some won;t care etc. For me it has nothing to do with *manliness* I don't stereotype guys that way, men can wear whatever colours they want, it doesn't make them any less of a man ;o

Well, they look horrible. Is that band by the knee-area really a Celtic thing or some shit just added for looks? Why does it have to be such light poop-color? And why do they have modern leather shoes and not actual Celtic shoes? There's just so much wrong with the men in this picture! I can't get over it! Argh..

- - - Updated - - -

It's just that the men's outfits just scream BLUUEEEEE and I just can't figure out why they wear blue to represent Scotland if they're not even using any clothing that adds the white cross to the outfit. As it is now it looks lazy and hideous.
    The band by the knee if I am on the same page as you, is the fold over of the sock, it gets turned down to cover the garter flashes (the bit of tartan hanging down on the socks). The most usual colour for Kilt Hose is usually cream or natural coloured, but of course can be done in any colour these days most tend to match them to other parts of their outfit, blacks a big colour.

As for the footwear I dunno why they aren't wearing Ghillies, maybe that was just a design choice by the designer to put them in a more modern day brogue.

- - - Updated - - -

That's fair enough. Designer probably had her heart set on that particular shade of blue, with which white wouldn't contrast very well.
    The proper shade of blue from the Scottish flag probably wouldn't contrast well with the tartan.

I'm not saying it's a perfect outfit but I certainly wouldn't call it ghastly. But if I saw them in the Commonwealth Games parade I'd recognize them as representing Scotland. I think the instruction given to the designer to make an impact/statement is where things maybe went off the rails a bit.

I fail to see what the statement is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dear Sweaties,

The seventies are over. Please stop.

Yours sincerely,

England

10+ Year Old Account
    Claim they want independence and then steal the colour theme from the seats on an English night bus, oh you sneaky Scots .
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

That is some interesting garb to say the least. The ladies bags are just the kilt purse (dunno what it's called so I'm going with that), but in a different color and a long strap.

Maybe they're going for an Earth and Sky theme... Or maybe I'm over thinking it.

Deleted
    My grandmother has a blanked that has the same colours as the kilts. Its from sometime during the 60s. The colour is not hiddious but combined with that blue its not very attractive. If they would pick another instead of that blue it would look alot better i think, but what do i know its not like i'm a designer.

Deleted
    I really like kilts, but that colour scheme with shirt doesn't fit together at all... With different, more fitting together, colour scheme it would be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    The colour is not hiddious but combined with that blue its not very attractive. If they would pick another instead of that blue it would look alot better i think, but what do i know its not like i'm a designer.
    Aye I've always prefered the Saint Andrew's Cross with the navy blue rather than the light blue (azure I think? if my QI memory serves), think it would have looked less like a time portal to the 60's/70's with the navy blue.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

10+ Year Old Account
    My biggest issue, other than the color scheme, is the lack of belts, for the men. A kilt looks odd without a wide belt, IMO. A darker blue and possibly a different tartan would work better. Maybe the Scotland 2000 tartan? That's generic and relatively modern;

http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tar....aspx?ref=3677

And yes; there's an official government registry for tartans. The More You Know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    The ladies bags are just the kilt purse (dunno what it's called so I'm going with that)
    Sporran.

I've probably worn a kilt more than 99% of people living in Scotland. Was part of my work dress at a summer job back in college.

The tartan's fuckin awfull, missing a key component (belt) & the shirt looks daft, seriously, people look classier going to the rugby/football than that! As for the ladies, can't comment, but the bags are intended to look like sporrans by the look of it.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.