Question About 6.0 Gem Changes

I haven't been able to find much about gem changes coming with the 6.0 pre-patch. Currently as Destro I have a lot of expertise/mastery, and since expertise is being dropped I am assuming that stat will change on the gem. Is there a source that shows how all of the gems are changing with the loss of hit and expertise? I haven't been able to find one.

Also, will this adjust the gems that we want to equip? Not sure if this will impact the prioritization of mastery/haste/crit or if we want to focus more on primary stats over secondary. I know it isn't really important; H Garrosh has been on farm for a while now but I find it fun to try to get the ultimate min-max set before the expansion. Anything to make killing SoO bosses more interesting!

There are some cloth spirit items getting changed to haste/mastery as well. A full haste/mastery H WF set for Demonology looks very fun.

The gem system is changing entirely, becoming a random roll on certain items similar to the tertiary stats they're adding. I don't expect our old gems to make it over in the pre-patch at all.

I just looked at my lock to see for you, keen turn into haste/mastery and sensei's crit/mastery. You keep all your mop gems fyi. Here is a link to what gems change to http://wod.wowhead.com/items=3#0-2
    Last edited by Thereaperszone; 2014-07-06 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avido77 View Post
    I haven't been able to find much about gem changes coming with the 6.0 pre-patch. Currently as Destro I have a lot of expertise/mastery, and since expertise is being dropped I am assuming that stat will change on the gem. Is there a source that shows how all of the gems are changing with the loss of hit and expertise? I haven't been able to find one.

Also, will this adjust the gems that we want to equip? Not sure if this will impact the prioritization of mastery/haste/crit or if we want to focus more on primary stats over secondary. I know it isn't really important; H Garrosh has been on farm for a while now but I find it fun to try to get the ultimate min-max set before the expansion. Anything to make killing SoO bosses more interesting!

There are some cloth spirit items getting changed to haste/mastery as well. A full haste/mastery H WF set for Demonology looks very fun.
    Pretty sure that sockets are going to be the 'warforged' in wod instead of extra ilvls they get a socket, I'm pretty sure socket bonuses are being removed too so the gems will likely be stronger AND purely what you want to stack i.e. mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    Pretty sure that sockets are going to be the 'warforged' in wod instead of extra ilvls they get a socket, I'm pretty sure socket bonuses are being removed too so the gems will likely be stronger AND purely what you want to stack i.e. mastery.
    Nope Armor pieces may have three other properties at random Warforged, Gem, Tertiary stats. It will not be warforged just a placeholder name info can be found here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10703970357

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereaperszone View Post
    Nope Armor pieces may have three other properties at random Warforged, Gem, Tertiary stats. It will not be warforged just a placeholder name info can be found here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10703970357
    Good explanation in there of the basics, but be aware that the actual tertiary and secondary stats have gotten some changes, so it's not a 100% up to date accurate document.

I just looked at my lock to see for you, keen turn into haste/mastery and sensei's crit/mastery. You keep all your mop gems fyi. Here is a link to what gems change to http://wod.wowhead.com/items=3#0-2
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I know all the new 6.0 gems scaled relative and aren't actually losing potency, but those numbers look tiny. Beta access, lucky you

Urgh that actually makes me a little nauseous that there is going to be that much more in getting BiS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Urgh that actually makes me a little nauseous that there is going to be that much more in getting BiS.
    Well the effect of this is that it's pretty much impossible to get full BiS, with everything you hope to have on it. On the flipside, the advantage is going to be that you have a better shot at getting a functional piece, even if it's not the ideal piece yet.

Raids will likely be tuned around getting the vanilla version of the gear, so every time you get a piece with soemthing extra it's going to be THAT much better. It also means that instead of having no reason whatsoever to run boss X anymore cause he drops nothing useful for you, you'll still be able to get a better piece from a boss.

The cynics will say this is meant to drag out the effective lifespan of a raid tier so Blizz has less work to do, the more optimistic view is that Blizz have found a way to keep playing the game interesting, even if initial progression is done.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Well the effect of this is that it's pretty much impossible to get full BiS, with everything you hope to have on it. On the flipside, the advantage is going to be that you have a better shot at getting a functional piece, even if it's not the ideal piece yet.

Raids will likely be tuned around getting the vanilla version of the gear, so every time you get a piece with soemthing extra it's going to be THAT much better. It also means that instead of having no reason whatsoever to run boss X anymore cause he drops nothing useful for you, you'll still be able to get a better piece from a boss.

The cynics will say this is meant to drag out the effective lifespan of a raid tier so Blizz has less work to do, the more optimistic view is that Blizz have found a way to keep playing the game interesting, even if initial progression is done.
    I feel like they could do this by allowing us to collect a currency to pay for upgrades to the gear too, so that we can in theory eventually get the pieces we want without relying on so much rng. Yeah I liked thunderforged/warforged I thought it was a cool thing to do till I realized that it is practically all rng to get, I think there needs to be a way to upgrade your gear with the socket/tertiary/warforged slowly over time, obviously it wouldn't be like 'oh I warforged 2 pieces and socketed another this week' it'd be much more slow and progressive but in the end I feel it'd even the playing field a bit.

I feel like they could do this by allowing us to collect a currency to pay for upgrades to the gear too, so that we can in theory eventually get the pieces we want without relying on so much rng. Yeah I liked thunderforged/warforged I thought it was a cool thing to do till I realized that it is practically all rng to get, I think there needs to be a way to upgrade your gear with the socket/tertiary/warforged slowly over time, obviously it wouldn't be like 'oh I warforged 2 pieces and socketed another this week' it'd be much more slow and progressive but in the end I feel it'd even the playing field a bit.
    The problem with that is inevitability of upgrades, and they become somewhat underwhelming when you can know several fights in advance exactly when you are going to get them.
    Give a reasonable chance of getting the "base" gear, but keep the little extras such as tertiary stats a surprise still.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The problem with that is inevitability of upgrades, and they become somewhat underwhelming when you can know several fights in advance exactly when you are going to get them.
    Give a reasonable chance of getting the "base" gear, but keep the little extras such as tertiary stats a surprise still.
    Tertiary aren't much of an issue to me those are supposed to be fun rarely affecting dps ect, but warforged and sockets both now add a lot more rng to gear. I'm fine with them still existing I think that you should slowly be able to bypass RNG if you have bad luck, if you earn 1-2 "coins" per boss and it costs 20-30 to get a socket/warforged on your gear, not exactly fast just a way to possibly upgrade those rare items that either everyone will be ripping throats out for and some people will never have a chance at getting outside bonus rolls.