General PC temps

Hey guys,

This is my PC spec:

Case- CORSAIR GRAPHITE SERIES™ 600T WHITE MID-TOWER CASE
    Processor (CPU)- Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor Extreme i7-4960X (3.6GHz) 15MB Cache
    Motherboard- ASUS® RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION: INTEL X79, SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
    Memory (RAM)- 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (8 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card- 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
    2nd Graphics Card- 3GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 780 Ti - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
    1st Hard Disk- 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
    2nd Hard Disk- 4TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD4003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
    Power Supply- CORSAIR 1200W PRO SERIES™ PLATINUM AX1200i DIGITAL MODULAR PSU
    Processor Cooling- Corsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste- ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

I am a little worried about the temperature of my PC. When sitting idle, everything is within 2-3 degrees C of 30. Which I am fine with. But often when in game my CPU reaches around 60 and my graphics card is around the same. I know this is well within the limits of my components, however this is in older games. When playing watch dogs earlier my CPU hit 75 degrees C. This is when I have the quiet profile loaded on corsair link, and have MSI Afterburner on auto change the gpu fan speed (which by the way, seems to stick to 48% constantly and never change no matter how hot it gets).

I have tried bumping up the speeds of fans, but then my PC becomes excessively loud, so loud in fact that I can hear it through my headphones and other people in the house can hear it, even downstairs. In fact, when the PC is in quiet mode it is still quite loud.

Do you think I am worrying unnecessarily? Are these temps fine? And should I keep my fans on quiet or bump them up?

Thanks for reading guys!
    Last edited by GonzJ; 2014-07-06 at 05:51 PM.

Deleted
    You have nothing to worry about, those temps are perfectly fine.

Also what a setup! Are you playing at 4K and rendering a lot of stuff?

Looks like a pre-built monster, must have set you back a few tacos lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Typical/normal operating temperatures with air cooling under full load are:
    - CPU 50-70 °C
    - GPU 70-80 °C

If you are inside these ranges, you don't need to worry too much. Especially with an SLI 780 Ti setup, the GPU temperatures are expected to go towards the upper end of the range, or even higher. However your CPU temps are - while not dangerous or damaging - pretty high, especially with a decent AIO water cooler.

My suggestions would be:
    - Check the seating of the cpu cooler and make sure thermal paste is applied correctly. (If that were the cause, you should have way worse results already, but better make sure)
    - Make sure the water pump is working correctly.
    - If you have OC'ed your cpu, revert back to default values (clock speed and voltages).

For meaningful comparison data, do the following (closed case, obviously):
    - run Prime95 (with 12 threads for your cpu) for about 15min.
    - run Furmark (it should support your SLI) for about 15min.
    - run both tests above at the same time for 15min.

15 minutes should be enough time to give good results. If you would be doing a comparison for a cooler review, you should make it a full hour, but for a ballpark figure the 15min is enough.

If your cpu cooler is working fine, then i would expect the following values at stock speed with a typical air flow layout (front/bottom intake, back/top exhaust, H100 radiator in the top as exhaust):
    - only Prime95: 50-55°C for CPU
    - only Furmark: 75-85°C for GPUs
    - both: 50-60°C for CPU, 75-85°C for GPUs
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    AFAIK, the threshold beyond which you should become concerned is about 90C for processor and 110C for graphics card. Depends on the processor and on the card, of course, but the general idea is that modern computer components get very hot. Also they usually have some safety mechanisms preventing them from overheating: when they get into a dangerous area, they drop activity, and when they get into an even more dangerous area, they shut down.

So, do not worry; as far as you haven't encountered any shutdowns, FPS drops or blue screens, you are going fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Typical/normal operating temperatures with air cooling under full load are:
    - CPU 50-70 °C
    Those are more like Sandy temps. For Ivy-E I'd consider 60-75c as normal, overclocked 75-85c on air cooling.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Those are more like Sandy temps. For Ivy-E I'd consider 60-75c as normal, overclocked 75-85c on air cooling.
    But still 75°C with an H100 is not normal, assuming he's not overclocking heavily.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet