Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Vulcans versus Jedi

So comparing the two based on mental discipline. I believe that Vulcans are disciplined enough to resist jedi mind games, however I think the Jedi would still fall victim to vulcan mind melds and logic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think depending on the Jedi and Vulcan of course is that they would pretty much even out. Both are trained very well to resist mind tricks and such.

I summon my Blue Eyes White Dragon.

If you suspend disbelief from watching the prequels, then the Vulcans do it easily on the account the Jedi were stupid enough not to suspect Palpatine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I summon my Blue Eyes White Dragon.
    Exodia > your silly little dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as the Vulcans aren't going up against Darth Traya they would be fine.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids. "
    -
    General Jack D. Ripper.

As it stands vulcans cannot compare to the fighting ability of jedi, yes they may have more strength and better ships, but one on one or even starfighter vs starfighter id put jedi down as while vulcans dont really have any abilitys that can compare to the force.

The level the vulcans fight at isn't even remotely comparable to a Jedi. If you're talking about a giant space battle, its completely arbitrary since you'd have to pick a select sample of each group.

1v1 a vulcan couldn't beat an unarmed jedi, likely even if they had a phaser or a blaster

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    The level the vulcans fight at isn't even remotely comparable to a Jedi. If you're talking about a giant space battle, its completely arbitrary since you'd have to pick a select sample of each group.

1v1 a vulcan couldn't beat an unarmed jedi, likely even if they had a phaser or a blaster
    I'm not sure you read what I wrote. This is a conversation about who has more mental discipline. Not who fights better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    As it stands vulcans cannot compare to the fighting ability of jedi, yes they may have more strength and better ships, but one on one or even starfighter vs starfighter id put jedi down as while vulcans dont really have any abilitys that can compare to the force.
    I don't think you understand either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    If you suspend disbelief from watching the prequels, then the Vulcans do it easily on the account the Jedi were stupid enough not to suspect Palpatine.
    Sidious was the dark side of the Force at that point. He clouded all the Jedi's minds. The Dark Side clouds the light side of the Force and that's why there is an imbalance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    So comparing the two based on mental discipline. I believe that Vulcans are disciplined enough to resist jedi mind games, however I think the Jedi would still fall victim to vulcan mind melds and logic.
    They can use the Force to mind control if need be and depending on the will of the user and their connection to the Force then it's unlikely that it would be resisted.

Jedi Mind Trick is a manipulation of The Force, Vulcan's mentality and logic cannot beat the force.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    Jedi Mind Trick is a manipulation of The Force, Vulcan's mentality and logic cannot beat the force.
    Incorrect, strong minds are immune to mind tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by lucizanito View Post
    Sidious was the dark side of the Force at that point. He clouded all the Jedi's minds. The Dark Side clouds the light side of the Force and that's why there is an imbalance.

- - - Updated - - -

They can use the Force to mind control if need be and depending on the will of the user and their connection to the Force then it's unlikely that it would be resisted.
    It was stated in Star Wars that the force mind control only works on the weak minded. The Vulcans have strong mental disciplines that I think could counteract the force. Most Vulcans are far from weak minded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbaneX View Post
    Incorrect, strong minds are immune to mind tricks.
    Certain species have high resistance to the Force and some are immune but they're usually just wild animals. Sentient beings can be susceptible especially when mind tricks turn into mind control.

- - - Updated - - -

It was stated in Star Wars that the force mind control only works on the weak minded. The Vulcans have strong mental disciplines that I think could counteract the force. Most Vulcans are far from weak minded.
    Minds tricks are basically just being highly influential with words. That's way different than being able to wipe away a person's memory and control them to do whatever you want them to.

honestly i think they would be evenly matched, both not having a distinct order-wide advantage over the other
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jedi don't have to touch their victims while Vulcans do.

And, sorry, I couldn't resist this: Vulcans aren't exactly the most powerful telepaths in the Star Trek Universe. The Betazoids and Talosians wipe their asses with Vulcan telepathy. Even Cardassians can resist mind melds.
    Last edited by Hammerfest; 2014-07-07 at 03:09 AM.

As far as "mind" based "magic" I think the vulcans would take the lead. I don't think they have the combat capability that your average jedi has though, even without the light sabre.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

ya well vader choked a dude out over the phone, Vulcans have to touch the person for his trick to work

The Vulcan Mind Meld is dependent on proximity, isn't it? (and isn't there usually some speaking involved? I don't know how necessary that is).

Depending on how you define "mental discipline" - the Jedi are capable of moving objects and closing throats through Force manipulation. I'm not sure if the little hand flourish that usually goes with each of those is necessary, but the mind meld usually involves some specific hand movement/placement as well (so it too, is not a "purely" mental exercise) .

I'd say it's a draw in most scenarios, which advantage to the Vulcan if he can somehow get proximity and begin the mind meld without the Jedi detecting him.

People are still only looking at this from a fighting point of view. all this thread is about is who has more mental discipline.