Remodeling Project: Flooring

Working on a summer remodeling project in the basement of my families home; Starting with the floors in 5 rooms.

Carpet Floors:
    Family Room
    Spare Room
    Storage Room

Tiled Floors:
    Bathroom
    Utilities room (With a drain).

Underneath this is the foundation flooring of the house, being 70's basic, minor reinforced concrete. Decent cycling of air.

Wondering what would be the better solution for removing the glue / chemicals underneath the carpet and tile, not the removal of the carpet or tile itself.

Current plan is to re-tile the entire floor in each room; with a different tile color / tile material.

Have done a similar project when removing carpet and tile; but on a Wood floor with tar paper... This is completely new process for me.

Anyone have an insight or recommendations?
    Simmons: There's no "I" in "team".
    Griff: There's no "U" in "team" either. so if "U" and "I" aren't in the team, who gives a f_ _ k about the team?
    "Gotta' trust some one to be betrayed. I never did." - Captain Price
    Bungie Has My Studio Of The Decade Vote. "Hours Played" is greater than "Money Made".

razor scraper...if you can't get it all off...boiling hot water...if it still won't come off...heat gun...if there's still some left...solvent/adhesive remover (ie. goo-gone). Solvent should be an absolute last resort as it can fill the pores of the concrete and inhibit proper bonding of the fresh tile adhesive. If you were going to just lay over a floating floor or something, then solvent is the way to go, but since you're tiling, I wouldn't.

If there's an obscene amount of glue, you can rent yourself something called a "floor grinder." But expect there to be some damage in spots. That said it's easier to throw down a little self leveling compound for the occasional chip than manually scraping a few hundred square feet of glue. Just don't slam it into the walls.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-07-07 at 06:23 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless I'm misunderstanding I would say get one of these:

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

The best thing I have found for that is something like jasco paint stripper, but sure try to scrape whatever you can get off first, maybe try a heat gun also.