10+ Year Old Account

AMD X4 760k temps

Hello,

I recently had a PC brought to me, the owner complained it was shutting down during games.
    I ran Prime95 to see how CPU is doing (it had some small ass fan), the HWmonitor 'package' temp shot up to 120C (~206F).
    I took off the heatsink and there was NO thermal paste -_-

I told the owner what was the problem and he aggreed to get a new cooler, I picked Cooler Master 103 (I wanted 212 EVO but it was too tall for the case).
    Now with Prime95 it runs around 82C, with 85-86C max. Never had to deal with AMD before, but people agree they like to run hot, is this acceptable temp?

TL;DR
    AMD X4 760k idles at 50C, full load goes to 84ish, is this normal for AMD?
    PM me weird stuff :3

This might help > http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...k-problem.html
    Try a few different utilities to see what temps you get and try to get a "average" going from the ones that aren't just absurd.

~70c under full load(prime95) seems to be about normal, so it's a bit warm now. That is where I would say to double-check to make sure the heatsink is contacting the die properly(any clips, screws, etc, should be fastened/tightened completely).
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-07-07 at 07:53 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aha, thought so, I'll write it off as one of AMD quirks

Found this, should give you some better(and more solid) info. Try checking the temps with Overdrive and seeing how it compared to HWMonitor, it still shouldn't be quite that hot.

Concerning your question regarding the temperatures with your processor. (1090) the maximum temperature threshold is 62 Celsius which set for the internal die (core) temperature of the chip. The core temperatures have an equational offset to determine temperature which equalizes at about 45 Celsius thus giving you more accurate readings at peak temperatures. The hindrance in this is the sub ambient idle temperature readings you speak of.

The silicon and adhesives used in manufacturing these processors has a peak temperature rating of 97+ Celsius before any form of degradation will take place. The processor also has a thermal shut off safe guard in place that shuts the processor down at 90 Celsius.

The Cpu temperature is read form a sensor embedded within the socket of your motherboard causing about a 7-10 Celsius variance form the actual Cpu temperature, which may be what you are reading about on the net.
    I hope I was able to answer your questions, If you have any more inquiries don't hesitate to contact us.

You can use an application called AMD overdrive, that will allow you to monitor your temperatures accurately.

As long as your core temperature has not exceeded the high side of the 60 degree mark for extended periods of time you should be ok. 62 degrees holds a generous safety net to begin with.

Thank You

Alex Cromwell
    Senior Technology Director
    Advanced Micro Devices
    Fort Collins, Colorado
    2950 East Harmony Road
    Suite 300
    Fort Collins, CO
    80528-9558
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's literaly the same quote from your first link
    I also read some further and there is a problem with software like HWmonitor reading that exact chip accurately.
    For example HWmonitor shows 80C while Overdrive shows 40C, some gibberish AMD came up with, I suppose.

Pretty much the same thing but a bit more official at least, plus the other link had nothing about overdrive
    That damn fruity temp-readings shenanagins they pulled with some of those 7XX chips drives people nuts thinking their melting their computer when it shows 100+ in speccy and whatnot.