Thread: CPU temps

CPU temps

Hi guys,

I've been doing some testing and monitoring, and have noticed that my CPU temps seem (to me) quite high. These are some stats:

Idle (just windows running and no programs): 60-70 C (140-158F)
    Few programs and chrome running: 80-90C (176-194F)
    Game running: 100-105C (212-221F)

My build is:

i5 3570k (not overclocked) + fan
    GTX 780 (non ti)
    450W corsair PSU
    2x 4GB DDR3 ram
    P8Z77-V LX Z77 motherboard
    2x seagate 7200RPM HDDs
    Extra case fan

I did do a hoover of the inside gently (there wasn't a lot of crap in there anyway) but that didn't seem to do a lot. I also made sure the CPU was seated correctly, and that seems to be fine. Are these temps actually ok, or do they indicate an issue?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarob22 View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been doing some testing and monitoring, and have noticed that my CPU temps seem (to me) quite high. These are some stats:

My build is:

i5 3570k (not overclocked) + fan
    GTX 780 (non ti)
    450W corsair PSU
    2x 4GB DDR3 ram
    P8Z77-V LX Z77 motherboard
    2x seagate 7200RPM HDDs
    Extra case fan

I did do a hoover of the inside gently (there wasn't a lot of crap in there anyway) but that didn't seem to do a lot. I also made sure the CPU was seated correctly, and that seems to be fine. Are these temps actually ok, or do they indicate an issue?

Cheers!
    Do you put any thermal paste on the CPU/Heatsink?

Microcenter is a great place to pick up a lot of cooling solutions. Your temps are higher than normal.

Do you have the sides of the case installed?

Honestly, I have been using house fans on my gaming rigs for 10 years. You have to make sure you blow out the dust every month or so. But a lot of heating is due to poor ventilation in the case.

No, they are not. Get that fixed ASAP before you end up damaging something important.
    Make sure there is thermal paste where the CPU & heatsink meet as well as making sure the heatsink is fastened in place correctly and the fan is spinning while in use.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebuthecow View Post
    Do you put any thermal paste on the CPU/Heatsink?

Microcenter is a great place to pick up a lot of cooling solutions. Your temps are higher than normal.

Do you have the sides of the case installed?

Honestly, I have been using house fans on my gaming rigs for 10 years. You have to make sure you blow out the dust every month or so. But a lot of heating is due to poor ventilation in the case.
    I have thermal paste though I haven't reapplied it in a while. Yes I have the sides on, I tried taking them off but that made no noticeable difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    No, they are not. Get that fixed ASAP before you end up damaging something important.
    Make sure there is thermal paste where the CPU & heatsink meet as well as making sure the heatsink is fastened in place correctly and the fan is spinning while in use.
    The heatsink is definitely fastened properly, I checked that as I mentioned, and both fans are spinning properly. Guess the next step is to reapply some thermal paste onto it...

That's not normal! I happen to have that exact CPU and motherboard, but an after-market air cooler (arctic cooler freezer 7 pro rev 2). My CPU's OC at 4.2Ghz. At idle / web browsing temp's in mid-30's. Under full game load in 50's (in CPU heavy games e.g. Wildstar, Civ 5), 40's in other games. Running a stress stress software for overclock stability testing temp's hit about 60. Don't run your CPU at those temp's...you'll kill it fast!

10+ Year Old Account
    I have thermal paste though I haven't reapplied it in a while. Yes I have the sides on, I tried taking them off but that made no noticeable difference.

The heatsink is definitely fastened properly, I checked that as I mentioned, and both fans are spinning properly. Guess the next step is to reapply some thermal paste onto it...
    Would you be able to take a photo of the inside of your case?
    What type of CPU cooler do you have?
    PM me weird stuff :3

BTW...that PSU (450W) seems a bit low for your PC set-up. NVIDIA recommend 600W min for a GTX 780 containing system. Don't think this has anything to do with your current issue though, but would look to up grade your PSU in future.

Thats insanely high, 105C is the cut out point for most of my hardware!

Deleted
    Even with a stock cooler it shouldn't go above 60c when gaming/encoding etc. Ideally anything under 70c whilst under heavy load (not stress testing) is acceptable and completely safe, most people prefer lower temps though. Anything above 70 or 80c and you'll be degrading the life of the CPU, especially above 85-90+. Most CPUs have a max of 95c before they throttle/cut out due to safety features.

I'm guessing there's no thermal paste between the CPU and the Heatsinks plate. I would check that, clean any debris off of the CPU and the plate, then apply a small amount of Arctic Silver or whatever thermal paste you prefer. There are many guides available on youtube if you're unsure about doing this yourself
    Other than that, check that the fans are working and that there's a decent amount of cool airflow getting to the Heatsink.

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeross View Post
    Even with a stock cooler it shouldn't go above 60c when gaming/encoding etc. Ideally anything under 70c whilst under heavy load (not stress testing) is acceptable and completely safe, most people prefer lower temps though. Anything above 70 or 80c and you'll be degrading the life of the CPU, especially above 85-90+. Most CPUs have a max of 95c before they throttle/cut out due to safety features.

I'm guessing there's no thermal paste between the CPU and the Heatsinks plate. I would check that, clean any debris off of the CPU and the plate, then apply a small amount of Arctic Silver or whatever thermal paste you prefer. There are many guides available on youtube if you're unsure about doing this yourself
    Other than that, check that the fans are working and that there's a decent amount of cool airflow getting to the Heatsink.
    Thinking back to when I installed it...you may actually be correct about the thermal paste. :|

Quote Originally Posted by sleepingbull View Post
    BTW...that PSU (450W) seems a bit low for your PC set-up. NVIDIA recommend 600W min for a GTX 780 containing system. Don't think this has anything to do with your current issue though, but would look to up grade your PSU in future.
    Yes, it is a bit close, but they will be fine as long as they don't overclock That system will run roughly ~430W under load.
    And just pointing out for future reference, it doesn't matter what nvidia recommends, it matters what it actually pulls when in use. They go nuts with the recommendation due to shitty-quality PSUs out there that output alot less than what the sticker says.

Thinking back to when I installed it...you may actually be correct about the thermal paste. :|
    If there isn't any, I just want to grab you and shake you and say "goddamnit man, WHY!?!?", but we all screw up now and then
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

Yes, it is a bit close, but they will be fine as long as they don't overclock That system will run roughly ~430W under load.
    And just pointing out for future reference, it doesn't matter what nvidia recommends, it matters what it actually pulls when in use. They go nuts with the recommendation due to shitty-quality PSUs out there that output alot less than what the sticker says.

If there isn't any, I just want to grab you and shake you and say "goddamnit man, WHY!?!?", but we all screw up now and then
    Haha yea people are always saying that 450W is "way too low" because of the plethora of crappy PSUs out there, tis why I have a Corsair

I'll find out today hopefully...ordered some thermal paste in so will be able to lift the heatsink up and take a look

Yeah...that's true, I've read that also...but also read alot it's not the best of idea's to run your PSU near it's limit.
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyFresh View Post
    Yeah...that's true, I've read that also...but also read alot it's not the best of idea's to run your PSU near it's limit.
    Please provide source.
    Also, your PSU will not run on near full when you are not blowing at full load.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Please provide source.
    Also, your PSU will not run on near full when you are not blowing at full load.
    I had some PSU issues recently (single 12V rail vs multiple 12V rail PSU's), and a lot of google searches linked to Tom's Hardware forum posts...those guys really seemed to know there stuff and got really technical but a lot of good answers with clear logic & explanation. So I tend to trust what the general vibe / flow of answers they post on there forum. Hope that helps.
    CPU: Ivy Bridge i5-3570K OC @ 4.2 GHz, Cooler: ARTIC Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
    MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, RAM: 2x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
    GPU: MSI R9-280X, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
    SSD: 120GB SanDisk SSD, HDD: 2x 1TB Seagate HDD in RAID 0
    PSU: OCZ 700W (multi-rail) PSU, Case: Cooler Master Elite 334U case
    Monitors: ASUS VE247H & ASUS VE228H Cooling: Totes cute Akasa 120mm Rainbow LED fans

There is nothing wrong with running something at what it was designed to handle and most quality PSUs can often exceed that amount by a good ~10% and still function before safeties kick in and shut things off.

Well I reapplied the thermal paste (following a guide) by wiping off the old stuff with a proper removal liquid and tissue and then applying the new stuff and my temps are almost exactly the same as they were before. =/

Deleted
    Can you make a screeshot or show us how much stuff you applied? Sidenote, what is your ambient temp? I mean here atm is like 40deg so i don't expect to have 30 idle, but anyway you got a bit too high temp even for that.
    Bottom line, you either don't place the paste properly or the fan is almost dead. I would buy a CM hyper 212 evo if it fits your case and in the worst case, something wrong with cpu, you didn't waste your money on the cooler since it fits both 1155/1150.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Can you make a screeshot or show us how much stuff you applied? Sidenote, what is your ambient temp? I mean here atm is like 40deg so i don't expect to have 30 idle, but anyway you got a bit too high temp even for that.
    Bottom line, you either don't place the paste properly or the fan is almost dead. I would buy a CM hyper 212 evo if it fits your case and in the worst case, something wrong with cpu, you didn't waste your money on the cooler since it fits both 1155/1150.
    The paste is applied fine, followed a guide and showed to someone afterwards, so I don't think that's the issue. Ambient temp is 18-25C so not hot (Im in the uk). The fan is going 1700-1800RM, case fan at ~2000rpm

The paste is applied fine, followed a guide and showed to someone afterwards, so I don't think that's the issue. Ambient temp is 18-25C so not hot (Im in the uk). The fan is going 1700-1800RM, case fan at ~2000rpm
    Chuck the HS + Fan... Something is definitely wrong there.
    It could be that a couple of the plastic splays are broken off, or eroded so the HS is not making a tight contact with the CPU.

Some pics would be really helpful...