Thread: Board Game

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Board Game

I got a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble for my birthday and am trying to figure out which board game to buy. Me and my girlfriend have quite a few but we are looking for something different. We have a weekly game night with a couple friend of ours so any game that can play 2 or more people would be great. There is a game called "Betrayal at House on the Hill" that supposedly just got reprinted that we have been looking for. It's on ebay for $100 or more so no thanks there. Any suggestions for a game to buy would be awesome. Thanks.

Talisman
    Munchkin
    Munchkin boardgame

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Settlers of Catan if you don't have it. Or Munchkin. Or Apples to Apples for social occasions.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Munchkin we have. Apples to Apples as well. Never heard of Talisman. Can you describe that a little? Settlers of Catan we do no have but have always found it to look boring. Will I be pleasantly surprised?

10+ Year Old Account
    Cards Against Humanity
    We Didn't Playtest This At All
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Cards Against Humanity is great. We have that + all the expansions. Never heard of the other one. Same kind of game as CAH?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its similar. It's a LOT more chaotic, and a lot of the rules are open to interpretation. It's a very social game. You will have fights.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Munchkins.

Munchkins.

@ Belize, We have Munckin and a couple of the expansions.

- - - Updated - - -

2 that have caught our attention are King of Tokyo and Elder Sign. Not sure about either of those though. There is also a game called Spy Alley that looked a little lighter and fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Citadel is a great game for 2-8 players. It's a very strategic card game with almost no luck involved. You have to build a city before your opponents, and you use different methods like bartering, cursing, backstabbing, defending to get there.

Smallworld is an awesome game too. Similar to Risk in that you try to take over the world, but the similarities end there. You get to pick to play as 2-5 different races throughout the game and each one has different abilities, and the game doesn't last 3-5 hours like Risk. It's maybe an hour long.

Deleted
    Talisman is fun but stay away from the dragon expac,,, it destroys the original mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Settlers of Catan if you don't have it. Or Munchkin. Or Apples to Apples for social occasions.
    Settlers of Catan was like $45 last time I was in a B&N.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Who's gonna be the first to say "Monopoly!"

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    wow, that's crazy for a board game o.O
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlls View Post
    I got a $25 gift card to Barnes and Noble for my birthday and am trying to figure out which board game to buy. Me and my girlfriend have quite a few but we are looking for something different. We have a weekly game night with a couple friend of ours so any game that can play 2 or more people would be great. There is a game called "Betrayal at House on the Hill" that supposedly just got reprinted that we have been looking for. It's on ebay for $100 or more so no thanks there. Any suggestions for a game to buy would be awesome. Thanks.
    Boss Monster
    Someone already said Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ticket to Ride, AWESOME board game.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/usa/
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawlls View Post
    "Betrayal at House on Hill"

"Eldritch Horror"

"Mansions of Madness"

"Twilight Imperium"

EDIT:
    Ah you listed Betrayal yourself. Well yes, it's stupidly expensive currently because it's rare-as-fuck, however you might be able to find it on some lost, dusty shelf in odd stores for little money (that's how I got my copy), the game is hilarious and a perfect homage to all the bad horror flicks of the 80's.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Scrabble?

That's one of the few board games I'm familiar with.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Worth it. We played Catan this weekend... on a board made from sidewalk chalk. It was amazing.

@ Forgettable, Citadel sounds interesting. I'll have to take a look. I have the app for Smallworld but I can't really get into it. Not for me I don't think. Maybe the physical board game is different.

@ Erin, believe it or not I actually don't own Monopoly.

@ Rukh, 45 bucks is actually towards the cheap side. I've seen games go for a lot more than that.