Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I hate Cata for other reasons than most, I think

If I am not mistaken, most people hate Cata for how difficult heroic dungeons was at the start and how the new zones were so disconnected from each other.

I, on the other hand, loathe it for what it did to the 1-60 experience. I know most people love the new quests and how quick you can go from 1 to 60, but I miss the feeling of danger there was in the pre-Cata world.

I miss the *real* Stitches.
    I miss how a buff can really mean greater survivability for a leveling character. I loved casting buffs with my priest on players as they run past me.
    I miss those Orcs that hid behind the rocks just outside of Lakeshire.
    Who remembers Chok'sul?

...and I miss a ton more.

Nostalgia FTW!

7+ Year Old Account
    I only disliked Cata because of the huge number of daily quests and how tedious the content was. They gated things behind daily quests to hide the fact that there wasn't much endgame content. I hated how they cancelled Abyssal Maw and left Neptulon's fate a mystery.

I also disliked that for a long period, you were expected to run NOTHING but ZA/ZG (the other dungeons gave less than half of the rewards of those two, so noone did them). Seriously, a huge pool of two heroics to choose from. It was awful. The dungeon situation was only partially fixed with the 3 Dragon Soul heroics came out in patch 4.3.

I did not hate the "difficult" heroics at the beginning...on the contrary, I found them to be quite enjoyable in a guild group (LFD was another matter).

There are many reasons to hate Cataclysm; destroying the old world was a major one.

The difficult dungeons at the beginning was actually one of its only redeeming qualities... at least until they screwed that too.

I loved cata and had a blast in it. But I have to say making flying available in the old world was a major fuck up.

EDIT: Wait people hated heroics at the beginning of cata? God I loved them, somewhat of an actual challenge. Unlike in MoP where you just afk your way thru the dungeons.

Deleted
    I disliked Cata because of all the weird class and spell changes it brought.

Also the super increased stats as you leveled up to 85 and obtained gear felt too extreme, in comparision from the increase from vanilla to TBC, or TBC to Wrath.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    If I am not mistaken, most people hate Cata for how difficult heroic dungeons was at the start and how the new zones were so disconnected from each other.

I, on the other hand, loathe it for what it did to the 1-60 experience. I know most people love the new quests and how quick you can go from 1 to 60, but I miss the feeling of danger there was in the pre-Cata world.

I miss the *real* Stitches.
    I miss how a buff can really mean greater survivability for a leveling character. I loved casting buffs with my priest on players as they run past me.
    I miss those Orcs that hid behind the rocks just outside of Lakeshire.
    Who remembers Chok'sul?

...and I miss a ton more.

Nostalgia FTW!
    The raids were boring, blood dps became a tank spec, raiding changed needlessly at the time, Vashjir, the raids were poop and the lack of dungeons was poop. I cant stand Cata. Easily the worst xpac of the lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do miss the elite npcs that you had to fear and those group quests, now u can solo hogger when it first was hard.
    That's only thing i hate atm on leveling side.
    There is no real danger outside the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Deleted
    I mostly disliked Cata for the lore and the flood of immersion breaking pop culture references. I'm not into raiding or min maxing so none of that really matters to me.

Deleted
    If I am not mistaken, most people hate Cata for how difficult heroic dungeons was at the start
    I don't think that's true.

Yeah, the "revamp" was disappointing.

Overall I found the expansion to be bland and uninspired. The dungeons were boring, I still haven't done any of the raids, the new zones were boring as well. I HATED SW so much that I still despise going there now. The soundtrack didn't feel very "Warcraft-y" to me, and some of the original ones were flat out replaced. The pop culture references really got out of hand (really, Uldum is one giant Indiana Jones reference? Ugh)

It's as if Cata was the hangover period coming from the greatness of Wrath.

I actually liked what Cataclysm did for the 1-60 experience. Since all the races had new starting quests/zones after the Cataclysm happened, I wanted to roll alts and see them. That was actually one of my favorite things about Cataclysm. I was also happy that we finally got the ability to use flying mounts in the old world.

I didn't have any problems with the heroic dungeons at the start. I'm fine with requiring more CC. The only issue I had with it was the fact that I played a fury warrior and had no real CC (aside from an AoE fear on a cooldown), so I often got "lol sorry bro we need someone with CC to do this" *kick* after waiting in a queue forever.

The 80-85 content wasn't bad, but I found it boring compared to the leveling content of other expansions. I loved Hyjal, sorta loved Twilight Highlands, and found Deepholm to be kind of bland/boring. The Indiana Jones thing in Uldum just didn't do it for me at all.

Dragon Soul didn't do much for me either. The Deathwing encounters themselves were cool and fun the first few times I did them, but the other encounters weren't really that interesting.

That all being said, I didn't hate Cataclysm at all. It was my least favorite WoW expansion, but I still enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-07-07 at 10:15 PM.

I liked Cataclysm, but I really hated the cancellation of the Abyssal Maw raid. That was the one I was looking forward to the whole expansion. PvP got really stupid and ability homogenization didn't help either. Leveling also got really boring seeing as it was mostly solo-able and nothing pre-60 was hard.

Loved Tol Barad, loved Blackwing Descent, Throne of the Four Winds, heroics at the start and getting back into Battlegrounds with all the new changes was still kind of fun at first.
    Also I may be wrong on this, but I feel like there was almost no world PvP in Cata.
    « DOr shar'adore da shando! » ♥

« Vladka | Ryska | Radka »

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated the re-tuning of levels that went down in both Western and Eastern plaguelands and to the lvl55-60 dungeons. Even though the quest hubs and all the new FPs makes WPL/EPL more convenient, I don't like them being lower level and absolutely faceroll now. It's like they had to "kiddify" Vanilla as punishment for going back on their claim for years that Blizz was not ever going to retool or revamp or update old zones and dungeons.

I think some of that may have started in Wrath but I'm pretty sure the major WPL/EPL re-tuning was Cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad you felt the need to tell us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
    Wait people hated heroics at the beginning of cata?
    Yeah, 2.5h HoO Heroic wasn't fun and many of the others weren't far off in duration. Plus, forcing people to have more binds just because they wanted to validate keeping CC in PvE didn't work.

I'm glad many classes are losing buttons because that'll mean more fun gameplay by focussing on exploiting the rotation as much as possible for as many people as possible.

If I am not mistaken, most people hate Cata for how difficult heroic dungeons was at the start.
    Maybe not difficult, just long. It caused a large disconnect between Heroic dungeon geared players and the entry to Normal raids, as they overtuned the latter.

They didn't learn from Wrath and paid the price, really.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Difficult 5 mans was the only good part of Cata...
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

The only thing I really hated about Cata was Dragon Soul.

I did like the pre-cata 1-60 more though. Now it feels like you go through 4 zones and miss out on a lot.

I loved cata and had a blast in it. But I have to say making flying available in the old world was a major fuck up.

EDIT: Wait people hated heroics at the beginning of cata? God I loved them, somewhat of an actual challenge. Unlike in MoP where you just afk your way thru the dungeons.
    Yeh, heroics at the start of Cata were brilliant when you were running pugs as a healer.

No, wait, they were shit.

And they seem to have forgotten the lesson they learnt from that, given what they are doing for WoD; there is no point changing the way healers have to play if you don't send the memo to all the tanks and dps. It just ends up with healers taking all the flak for everyone else playing the wrong way.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Well of Eternity dungeon was too... well-made to be just a dungeon. Could be a raid.
    And... Dragon Soul... The fights with Deathwing were fine, but the rest... ugh.

Nah transmogification compensates for all of that!

I don't believe it was as much the difficulty as it was a combination of things. A year+ of being overgeared and spamming heroics with no effort for currency. Healer changes that made their heals less effective and oom after every trash pull from entire groups being undergeared. LFD not having a system to ensure there was proper CC/interrupts for the dungeon they were joining ... the last one being key. Hard to run a dungeon that requires cc and interrupts when you have none or not the right kind or not enough interrupts on a short enough cd cycle to complete it. These combined led to people spending 1-2 hours and not even finishing the dungeon, for possibly no rewards or rewards that weren't that great.

Context, people; but people like to forget the reality of the moment, same as the claims to how snoozefest Wrath ones were, but forgot they presented some challenge and took some time when people were appropriately geared (HoL was hard for healers and the trash could wipe groups before Loken, when not overgearing it, not everyone are heroic raiders either, which is a definite part of the equation people tend to forget).

Cata was lazy, that is why I disliked it. The world revamp not only took away nostalgia and story/timeline cohesion, but it was half-assed. The way they hyped it, I expected all the textures to be replaced on top of the world changes. Many zones left untouched. Zones that had work, left all the vanilla textures so still looked like shit overall. They cancelled the Abyssal Maw raid, which would've made T12 larger and more appreciated and cleaned up all the elemental stories while in the xpac that dealt with elemental lords. The final tier was short and had tons of reused assets. Reused assets alone aren't bad, but combined with a short tier, shows lack of effort and creativity and just rushing a product, add in the bugs through out, the 2 dungeon patch (the dungeons were fine, but too few and another nostalgia killer) ... and you have an overall disaster for some. It wasn't a bad product per se, but it was not what we had come to expect from the company from the last two xpacs and the hype they were giving.

Hate Cata? not so much as I hate the change in their efforts ... it was the turn where I saw profit and cost cutting from the start, and it is the same thing I see coming from their PR for WoD over the last couple months.