Deleted

Startin the Insanity challenge dvds

1). Do they really work as well as people say?

2). from 1-10 my fitness level is probably negative twelve atm, I'm not overweight [yet] but super not fit - how doable are the workouts given this position?

I really want to throw myself into this but tbh I get tired running for the bus so 45mins of intense cradio exercises every day is daunting, any advice?

I believe there are some other less intensive workout programs for people just getting into fitness such as P90x. Anyway, it is all what you put into it.

15+ Year Old Account
    they work extremely well aslong as u actually put effort into it and also eat better at the same time. It is an INSANE workout and will most likely make u want to quit after day2 but u cant let that happen.

Deleted
    Yes they work. However, most people fracture or rip muscles, joints and ligaments because they try to keep up when they literally cant.
    All those people doing the workout are trained athletes. At workout 8 it starts getting very intense, and it puts alot of strain on ur body.

The problem is, when do you stop? Since claiming u cant keep up anyway will likely make u quit early without pushing urself first. Not quitting soon enough gets you injured.

I recommend a days break between each workout (i believe its originally a daily workout series?)
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-07-07 at 09:04 PM.

Uhm well, are you doing P90x atm? That's the biggest mistake people make, is that they do insanity before P90x, P90x is the starting, and insanity is the step up, the harder version of P90x...too many times have I seen people who start insanity and stop because they get discouraged.

Deleted
    They work if you don't work/go to school or maybe if you are already fit. I did it since I was going to join the army, pretty sure I would have crashed if I had to put anything more on my body in terms off effort.

see a doc first if thats bad. if nothing else listen to your body if it hurts, like REALLY hurts stop. And be prepared to be sore as crap for days.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post

2). from 1-10 my fitness level is probably negative twelve atm, I'm not overweight [yet] but super not fit - how doable are the workouts given this position?

I really want to throw myself into this but tbh I get tired running for the bus so 45mins of intense cradio exercises every day is daunting, any advice?
    1. yes....but, its brutal if you are not already fit. Thats not to say you wont get anythign out of it, if you committ you will, but if you are not fit, you'll spend the first few workouts (or weeks..) not being able to complete sessions totally, which is fine, work up to it.

There is no miracle work out....if you put the effort in, you'll get results. But will you really stick with Insanity, its 60 brutal days, 6 days a week, and its damm hard. It may be better to try something less intensive first. Also, how are your knees, if they are even slightly dodgy, dont do Insanity.

2. Ironically the fitter you are, the more you'll get out of it. At first you wont complete sets, you'll have to take rests, as you build up fitness you'll be able to do complete sessions, then build up intensity. They are good in that you need a relatively small area (6ft square, with room to jump up a bit), and can do them in private (though lots of jumping, dont expect any neighnours in flats below to be happy!).

I'd suggest a basic running programe first, work up to 5km comfortable to get your cardio up, and maybe some starter weights, and if you stick to the schedule, then consider a more intensive programe.

Jumping right in at insanity is, well, way beyond insane.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Uhm well, are you doing P90x atm? That's the biggest mistake people make, is that they do insanity before P90x, P90x is the starting, and insanity is the step up, the harder version of P90x...too many times have I seen people who start insanity and stop because they get discouraged.
    P90x is more strength, Insanity is more cardio.

P90x will likely be easier in a way, but it depends on your goals.

Thing with Insanity is that the people on the DVD are UBERFIT, dont try to keep up at first. Dont expect to complete entire exercise sets, push yourself, but be prepared to rest as needed. You will improve, but as with any fitness goals, there is no magic bullet, it takes time and effort.

As long as you are pushing yourself, does not matter if you are doign half, or less than the people on the DVD, you will improve. Try to keep up, and its injury is all you'll get out of it.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-07-08 at 09:34 PM.

They do work, but you need to be atleast above average in fitness before even starting. And they do get boring fast. Why don't you just weight train if you're bored of Cardio?

Hey man, happy to see someone willing to start the insanity hell

I can say this, I'm naturally skinny person, but since I played wow all the time and studying IT my exercise was going to toilet and back and I got more than tolerable stomach fat.
    Then I've started doing Insanity but I wasn't eating healthy (eating late, 2 meal a day etc).
    One week ago I've started eating really healthy, 5 meals a day, watching about calories etc.
    Hope I will get better now, because really, insanity is hard, but as long as you stay safe and take a break EVERY time you thing its needed, you are good to go.
    I wanted to quit everyday I started doing it but I haven't, and I'm sure when i get more fit I would like it even more.

Shaun-T is the man!

I second what Houyi said. I did two rounds of Insanity. One just by itself...the other was a modified round with weights on alternating days. Lost more weight doing Insanity everyday, but felt *a lot* better during the second round only doing it every other day. My knees were starting to squeak after the first round so I had to scale back the cardio workouts anyway. Saw huge improvements in cardiovascular endurance from doing it though. I didn't go from couch potato to this...I was already doing intervals in terms of cardio prior. Really liked the workouts. I'm not someone who enjoys running or any other steady state cardio so bootcamp style workouts are a perfect fit.

Can you go from couch potato to doing this? It really depends on how you are. Form is important, but if you have a bad back or knees I'd seriously give this a pass. If you're needing long breaks in the just Fit Test, you might want to start elsewhere. Shaun T also has a less intense program: T25. 30 mins and nowhere near as intense as Insanity.

And if I'm perfectly honest, a lot of getting through the workouts isn't physical...it's mental. If you're someone who quits easily when things get tough, look elsewhere. First weeks of both phases are the hardest...if you can hang in there that first week, you'll likely be able to finish each phase. Don't expect to keep up with the people in the video. They're dying too lol. Some times I could hang with them, but in exercises I couldn't...I kept a mental tally and tried to incrementally do better each time. Ex. if I could only do 12 pushups in the last go around, I aimed for 13 the next time before I had to go down on my knees and take a 5 count breather. And only kept my breaks that short before getting back into it.

If you're wanting to do this, pace yourself and take it one exercise interval at a time. Also, fuel yourself properly. You can't do these workouts well without gas in the tank. First couple of weeks of the program shows you where you're at...second month and its long workouts will show you what you're made of.
    Currently playing: GW, TORTANIC.
    Still visit: TSW, W*, GW2, Rift, LOTRO, ESO.
    Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Just go to the gym and get a personal trainer. Home workouts are harder due to lack of motivation. They're alright for losing weight, but if you're trying to bulk up then it won't do much.

Deleted
    I did the fitness test and 'day 1' workout today. It wasn't as awful as I had imagined, I didn't keep up with the people in the video and had to press pause a few times to take a minute out, but I did get through it all and my whole body was burning afterwards. I've definitely never sweated so hard even in like spin classes or just using the gym/pool.

It felt amazing afterwards getting to tick the little box on the calendar though, see you in two months! o.-

Deleted
    I did the fitness test and 'day 1' workout today. It wasn't as awful as I had imagined, I didn't keep up with the people in the video and had to press pause a few times to take a minute out, but I did get through it all and my whole body was burning afterwards. I've definitely never sweated so hard even in like spin classes or just using the gym/pool.

It felt amazing afterwards getting to tick the little box on the calendar though, see you in two months! o.-
    Good luck. The first couple of workouts are a bit of shock from what I remember, but stick with it, there are lighter recovery days.

I went through the program twice. It will work as long as you put forth the effort. Make sure you take before and after pictures for yourself.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to try this insanity dvd thing Soon(tm). I shall build up my basic endurance through running and lifting some weights beforehand for a month. Haven't done any sports for couple of months, so I'm pretty out of shape atm. Interesting to see if I can keep up with the program.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    I did these workouts a few summers ago with a friend, we are the only people who I know who have completed the course.

Overall it was a waste of time and I really regret it.

The problem was we had weightlifters physiques with the goal of losing as much body fat as possible. We went from previously doing 5 days a week of weights with 3 sets 8 reps of heavy exercises to 5-6 days a week of nothing but functional cardio for 10 weeks straight.

Lost a lot of weight, but lost a lot of strength too. My chest was destroyed as I went from 120kg on the bench to struggling with 85kg afterward, back suffered a little bit as I was rack pulling less but I could do more pullups but the absolute worst was the squats.

Before insanity my knees were as strong as steel, afterwards they were fucked. Ever since insanity to this very day I have to wear knee straps when I squat otherwise the pain gets pretty crazy.

So here's my 2cent:

If you're new to fitness you're going to get the most results from this workout. You're going to gain strength, you're going to get fitter and you're going to lose weight.

But here's the problem, you're never going to complete the course. It's repetitive, it's boring and it's soul destroying. If you don't have the discipline and you don't have a partner to keep you company there is no way in hell you're going to finish it.

If you're into fitness already and you're used to exercising regularly 3-5 days a week then this could possibly be for you. It's just as repetitive and soul destroying but you may have a chance of finishing simply because you're used to sticking to a schedule week in, week out.

However, if you're a weightlifter aiming to cut down on the bodyfat or you're just a strong guy looking to tone up you should avoid this like the plague.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    I did these workouts a few summers ago with a friend, we are the only people who I know who have completed the course.

Overall it was a waste of time and I really regret it.

The problem was we had weightlifters physiques with the goal of losing as much body fat as possible. We went from previously doing 5 days a week of weights with 3 sets 8 reps of heavy exercises to 5-6 days a week of nothing but functional cardio for 10 weeks straight.

Lost a lot of weight, but lost a lot of strength too. My chest was destroyed as I went from 120kg on the bench to struggling with 85kg afterward, back suffered a little bit as I was rack pulling less but I could do more pullups but the absolute worst was the squats.

Before insanity my knees were as strong as steel, afterwards they were fucked. Ever since insanity to this very day I have to wear knee straps when I squat otherwise the pain gets pretty crazy.

Yeah....you chose a program that was not suited for your goals and are complaining about it. You are right in thats its not for everyone, but I dont think you can criticise a program if it does not meet your objectives, if its not designed to do so in the first place.

As for knee pain...I've had knee injuries before and I managed to do insanity, warm up, know your limits, if it hurts ease up....common sense.
    Last edited by mmoc3f25629bd0; 2014-07-15 at 05:29 PM.