Thread: Leveling

Leveling

Why is leveling so dreadful in this game? I have a few friends, actually scratch that... All of my friends say leveling in this game was a blast, but here I am still hating the hell out of this leveling. It feels like a less refined quest system with some PSO2 style events. Am I wrong, or is this game really dreadful for leveling?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you doing the main story quests and your class quests?

It's only a PITA when you are leveling a 2nd class and have run out of non-leve quests. Even then you can dungeon/FATE/leve grind to level, nowhere as painful as MMOs of yore.

Why is leveling so dreadful in this game? I have a few friends, actually scratch that... All of my friends say leveling in this game was a blast, but here I am still hating the hell out of this leveling. It feels like a less refined quest system with some PSO2 style events. Am I wrong, or is this game really dreadful for leveling?
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I loved the leveling in this game on my first class to 50 due to the story quests. It sounds like you don't like or care for story quests. That said, if you don't like story...I don't know why you're playing a Final Fantasy game when it is heavily story driven.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have every Disciple of War and Disciple of Magic at level 30 or better with the exception of Pugilist and Gladiator. I've had no issues with the leveling and have been impressed with each classes' job quests. If anything Square-Enix did right it was making your character the center of the story even though there's literally millions of other adventurers out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leveling as a second class is dreadful. The first time around was fun and I enjoyed the story. Very FF-like.

I'm trying to get Monk to 50 (SCH is my main) and it's not super fun. I'm glad they buffed the exp dungeons give but it's still FATE FATE FATE while you are in queue. I'm level 39 atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really had a problem leveling.

You might simply be weary of MMO's in general if you're finding the game's leveling system to be tedious. Personally I find it to be a lot of fun since it's pretty in-depth and you're almost always unlocking something new if you play your cards right. Plus there's multiple ways of gaining experience, such as regular quests, levequests, dungeons and FATE events.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is honestly the only MMO that I've enjoyed leveling in. To each their own though.

15+ Year Old Account
    If it's your first time and you already hate it I'd stop there. One you do all your quest and you feel like leveling another character, the grind really starts. Then again, I find the dungeons really fun, and don't mind the dungeon grind at all, but some people hate it. But yea, this is the only MMO I've enjoyed leveling and wanting to pay attention to the story. Especially since my character was just too dang cute in the cutscenes.

I've only been playing for a little over a week, but at level 31 on my first class (with some crafting thrown in) I'm loving leveling. I saw advice somewhere saying try to only do main story and class quests along with FATEs, Duty Finders and Leves while leveling the first time, that way you have all the different little side quests available for your alt classes/jobs. It should cut down on some of the repetitiveness of alt grinding. Once I start doing all that, we'll see how that theory holds up.
    But for now, I'm really enjoying myself.

I also like that you can skip cut scenes the first time through a dungeon or quest, then watch it later in an Inn. It allows people who want to see the story actually see it without hindering those who don't care or who've been playing since launch. That is a brilliant move of which more companies should make use.
    I've missed many a cut scene in WoW due to the rest of the raid skipping it and me needing to DPS/heal/etc and/or not heard the NPC dialogue occurring because of people talking in Vent, spell sound spam etc. For the longest time, all I knew of the intro dialogue from ICC is Tirion saying "Arthas..." fightfightfightwithmumblinginthebackgroundthenafewminuteslater "NEVER! I WILL NEVER SERVE YOU!" A feature to watch/listen to things like that from WoW in game and not having to resort to Youtube or the like would be great. SE got it right for sure.

edit - Apologies if something up there doesn't make sense or is typoed all to hell. Didn't sleep well and my brain feels like mush right now...
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2014-07-12 at 03:30 PM.

What are you working on leveling and how are you doing it?

Considering you can run duty finder, use the roulette, do leves, grind Fates, AND follow the MSQ/Class quests along with all the other quests on the way (use them all at once or scatter them for other classes as you like), I very much enjoyed leveling in this game.

If you're doing crafting, then leves and Grand Company provisioning is your friend. Craft HQ items and try to do the leves with the highest xp, which HQ turn ins will double. You will have leves even at the high levels that a HQ turn in gives you 1/4 of a level if not more.

I only did the main story quests, class quests, some fate parties, and dungeons to level. I'm pretty burnt out on leveling in any mmo but I made it through.

I really liked the story quests and class quests though and that's what helped me get through it. Even though the main story kind of takes long tangential detours sometimes I managed to stay interested. FATE grinding can get a little boring, especially towards the end. I would recommend always logging out in an inn for the maximum exp bonus and to always eat some kind of food for the food exp bonus. See if you can get a free company that runs the exp bonus company action too.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Deleted
    I enjoyed leveling all my classes (I'm a drg, brd and mnk) as each time I'd figure out more efficient ways to reach 50. I used dungeons as my primary means of leveling up my other classes which I found particularly enjoyable as I made a metagame for myself out of gearing up my character to it's fullest before moving on to another dungeon. But I'm a completist so that may not work for you, I'd also suggest not prioritising endgame content over the early content, being leveled up is cool but the journey getting there is equally as awesome and far more finite so enjoy it while you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 is one of those rare MMOs where I'm having a lot of fun leveling. Leveled a WAR to 35 but hate tanking in this game, started a MNK (which I originally wanted to play last August) and I'm having a blast again. MNK will be my main but I'll be leveling a BRD next, then finish my WAR, and that will probably be it for me for classes in this game.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

I personally enjoyed levelling in FF14. Far more than any other MMO (besides WoW) that i've played. I admit at first I found it frustrating that it forced you to do dungeons to progress the story coz back then everyone was brand new at the game and dungeons were ultra hard and I was levelling with my bro and he was Monk and I was Dragoon, but once I respecced to White Mage dungeon queues weren't as painfully slow thankfully. Still hard though. They're so much easier now. I suppose lvl 50 with their end game gear in roulettes really helps. That and most of us have done the dungeons at least once now so alot of us know the strats unlike at release

Thanks to Shyama for this beautiful signature <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Envy-DathRemar View Post
    I personally enjoyed levelling in FF14. Far more than any other MMO (besides WoW) that i've played. I admit at first I found it frustrating that it forced you to do dungeons to progress the story coz back then everyone was brand new at the game and dungeons were ultra hard and I was levelling with my bro and he was Monk and I was Dragoon, but once I respecced to White Mage dungeon queues weren't as painfully slow thankfully. Still hard though. They're so much easier now. I suppose lvl 50 with their end game gear in roulettes really helps. That and most of us have done the dungeons at least once now so alot of us know the strats unlike at release
    Just for the record - Any gear that is level synced for a dungeon is balanced as a White Item of the same level. The stats of level appropriate dungeon gear is actually more beneficial than level 50 gear when doing roulette.

Deleted
    I've enjoyed leveling my Bard immensely, I don't know why it's being that bad for you. :/

I suppose it may depend on how much you try to "hardcore" the leveling process. I've leveled 2 more classes to 50 on my main character within the last 1/2 months (between other alts and crafting/gathering/gearing) and I didn't find it that painful at all, even without quests.

With quests, it's a breeze. Quest to kill time while you wait for roulettes, roulettes get you such a big daily boost that you should soon find yourself way ahead of the quests, this way you won't overlevel them.

Even if you're trying to do alternate classes on a main character, I do a few leves and beat tribe dailies while in roulette queues.

Mind you, I only tend to play 3 or 4 hours a day (sometimes less) due to work. If you tried to hardcore many more hours than that...yeah, that could be why, you'd probably burn through and burn out on content in any MMORPG like that.

EDIT: Are you sure about level sync? Whenever I do an roulette and get something really low level, like Satasha for example, with a full 50 party we smash everything really easily, and bosses die much more quicker than they did last year when I could only do dungeons with level appropriate (give or take a few extras levels) parties. I suppose it could just be dungeon/class knowledge given the game has been out almost a year, but...it doesn't seem that way to me. (IMHO)
    Last edited by Icaras; 2014-07-27 at 12:27 AM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

I have lvled all my classes to 50 and I dont think it has been that hard to lv them but maybe its because of all the rested xp I have