Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Don't be silly, the order changed nothing at all. Would you like me to edit that post back to the original order?

The point was that you implied that the gaming industry has tons of new devs to be hired, and then said Blizzard's money and reputation attracts the best the industry has to offer--But these two do not work together. People who have just gotten out of school are not the best the industry has to offer, even if they are good at what they do, they do not have the experience of working on actual games played by millions of people as part of extremely large teams with constantly changing needs. They do not have the references and portfolios to show that they are capable of handling the work a AAA developer needs employee to do.

Lack of experience is absolutely a reason to overlook someone. You can't throw away money and time hiring two dozen fresh out of school employees, training them and paying them to find out they aren't quite up to the task. All you do with that is create a mess your actual employees have to deal with.

Blizzard has the reputation of a AAA game company, and a large budget, but there are also a ton more companies with similar budgets and AAA status. Please don't pretend it's as simple as saying "Oh hey we're Blizzard, why don't you ignore the other hundreds of game companies and come work for us."
    you have a big problem with what is called brain drain. where the need for talent far outstrips the amount of talent being produced resulting in a lack of available talent. eventually your going to run out of available talent. when that happens your going to have to lower your standards or have an open vacant position for a long long time.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Don't be silly, the order changed nothing at all. Would you like me to edit that post back to the original order?

The point was that you implied that the gaming industry has tons of new devs to be hired, and then said Blizzard's money and reputation attracts the best the industry has to offer--But these two do not work together. People who have just gotten out of school are not the best the industry has to offer, even if they are good at what they do, they do not have the experience of working on actual games played by millions of people as part of extremely large teams with constantly changing needs. They do not have the references and portfolios to show that they are capable of handling the work a AAA developer needs employee to do.

Lack of experience is absolutely a reason to overlook someone. You can't throw away money and time hiring two dozen fresh out of school employees, training them and paying them to find out they aren't quite up to the task. All you do with that is create a mess your actual employees have to deal with.

Blizzard has the reputation of a AAA game company, and a large budget, but there are also a ton more companies with similar budgets and AAA status. Please don't pretend it's as simple as saying "Oh hey we're Blizzard, why don't you ignore the other hundreds of game companies and come work for us."
    My point is, once again for the slow people at the back, that there are far more people that have the qualifications and desire to work in the gaming industry than the industry will ever need.

Do you think all the developers at Blizzard, Riot, EA or Activision all started with 10 years plus experience? An employee is an investment for the business, and like all investments some will not work out, but if you apply the same standards to your recruitment process as making a large investment you can minimise the risks.

I am not pretending it is that simple but it certainly is not a complicated as you are trying to make out. Look at Riot they wanted an experienced developer and were able to attract one of the best in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    My point is, once again for the slow people at the back, that there are far more people that have the qualifications and desire to work in the gaming industry than the industry will ever need.
    There really aren't though.
    There are plenty with the desire, there are much, much fewer with the qualifications and all of those with the qualifications and desire have a multitude of other employment opportunities besides Blizzard.

Do you think that any of those companies put people on their core development with no industry experience? 15-20 years ago, when video game development was extremely small and close knit, sure.

Which is exactly what I'm trying to point out. Blizzard is not some sole god-tier company that any developer would instantly choose if given the opportunity. There are other companies fishing in the same, relatively small pond of experienced, skilled developers.

There really aren't though.
    There are plenty with the desire, there are much, much fewer with the qualifications and all of those with the qualifications and desire have a multitude of other employment opportunities besides Blizzard.

Do you think that any of those companies put people on their core development with no industry experience? 15-20 years ago, when video game development was extremely small and close knit, sure.

Which is exactly what I'm trying to point out. Blizzard is not some sole god-tier company that any developer would instantly choose if given the opportunity. There are other companies fishing in the same, relatively small pond of experienced, skilled developers.
    There are tens of thousands of graduates in computer related courses each and every year some of whom will have specifically studied game development, this is before you even tap into the pool of people with unrelated degrees, like, say, marine biology. You are confusing qualifications with ability, not every student that graduates from a business related course is going to go on and become CEO at FTSE 100 company - some will most won't, the games industry is no different.

No I do not think that, nor I have any said anything like that.

In which case why are the other companies able to attract the developers from such a small pool whereas Blizzard are perennially complaining of a lack of resources?

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    What you said makes no sense. The programming takes like 10 seconds, you just copy paste old season's code and change the mount ID. They have automatic tools that generate NPCs, they just preset race, gender, name, type... Give me Blizz's tools, I can give you a recolor season mount in 5 minutes complete with achievements, a vendor selling it, whatever.
    But do you have the resources for it?

Deleted
    i hope you do realize that Resources doesn't have to mean money?
    it could also mean employees/staff to take care of the job O.o

Energy, Mana, Focus, Staff, Employees, Services?

A resource is anything used to produce a benefit. Typically resources are materials, energy, services, staff, knowledge, or other assets that are transformed to produce benefit and in the process may be consumed or made unavailable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well yeah, you're talking about a company who'd tell us it would cost us a raid tier to have the Sunreaver Onslaught Tabard look different from the Sunreaver Tabard.

With Blizzard nothing surprises me anymore. Warriors are doing too much dmg? Buff slam, nerf mobility. Warriors need overhaul? Take a shit all over the class for the sake of making it function within the new active mitigation system for Prot Warriors and make HS one shot people. Next expansion? Remove Charge Stun and Heroic Strike.

-___________________-

But it never ceases to amaze me how newer games put out more models instead of just rehashing the same shit and actually look better. FFXIV is a good example. Not a lot of mobs share the same model. They just had a new patch with a lot of different looking gear and bosses. But still don't change the fact that the game plays like dogshit.

Literally all grind grind grind grind grind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    it is getting better and better, really.
    And I agree, why put valuable resources on free obtainable goods?
    They are better spend on goods which bring in money. Nothing surprising here. ;-)
    Ikr, Blizz needs to make money, thats what companies do.

let me spell it out for you...successful companies make money...

All these trolls just dont get it.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

You forget that Blizzard used to care about their products and their clients, not just money.

They used to scrap content just because it wasn't good enough in their eyes, not Blizzard worthy, just like StarCraft Ghost and Titan. You can imagine how much money they lost scrapping an almost finished product like Ghost.

Real companies care about profit, but most developers care about product quality more. This "they're a business they should only think about money" attitude is childish.

Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    You forget that Blizzard used to care about their products and their clients, not just money.

They used to scrap content just because it wasn't good enough in their eyes, not Blizzard worthy, just like StarCraft Ghost and Titan. You can imagine how much money they lost scrapping an almost finished product like Ghost.

Real companies care about profit, but most developers care about product quality more. This "they're a business they should only think about money" attitude is childish.
    Titan was 'scrapped' (if that's the right word to describe it) recently actually, and Starcraft Ghost was a real shame to have not made it. The game looked great to me, but they scrapped it because the console generation moved forward and they were behind, and couldn't be bothered to finish. I'd still play it if they released Starcraft Ghost now.

I wouldn't look at these examples as "Blizzard was great back then because they scrapped these". Starcraft Ghost looked amazing and honestly should have been finished. Titan was scrapped recently, not in the wonderful yesteryears of Blizzard's golden era. There really aren't any other examples of Blizzard scrapping things and furthermore them scrapping a game doesn't mean they did a good, noble thing.

If you want an example of Blizzard going to extremes to care about quality, look at The Burning Crusade. It was supposed to release in time for Christmas, but it was pushed back to January -- missing the holiday sales -- because it wasn't ready, and they wanted to make sure it was. This is something the old Blizzard would do, but the ActiBlizz would not.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2014-07-14 at 11:18 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post

Let me spell it out for you too, as a consumer, I care about my own fun. I don't care about how much money the company makes.
    I hope they go make money so that they continue to make content so that I, as a consumer, can have fun. But when they start making money at the expense of my fun and have the nerve to lie to me in the face (lol, not enough resources for mounts...except for these ones in the shop) is when I consider something is wrong.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post

This exactly. You can make more money by focusing on making quality products rather than by focusing on money. You might make more money in the *very short term* by focusing on money, but that will alienate your customers and make you lose money in the long term. Unfortuantely, corporate America is only concerned with the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    But do you have the resources for it?
    clearly blizz forgot to construct additional pylons
    Beta club member

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser
    Titan was 'scrapped' (if that's the right word to describe it) recently actually, and Starcraft Ghost was a real shame to have not made it. The game looked great to me, but they scrapped it because the console generation moved forward and they were behind, and couldn't be bothered to finish. I'd still play it if they released Starcraft Ghost now.

I wouldn't look at these examples as "Blizzard was great back then because they scrapped these". Starcraft Ghost looked amazing and honestly should have been finished. Titan was scrapped recently, not in the wonderful yesteryears of Blizzard's golden era. There really aren't any other examples of Blizzard scrapping things and furthermore them scrapping a game doesn't mean they did a good, noble thing.

If you want an example of Blizzard going to extremes to care about quality, look at The Burning Crusade. It was supposed to release in time for Christmas, but it was pushed back to January -- missing the holiday sales -- because it wasn't ready, and they wanted to make sure it was. This is something the old Blizzard would do, but the ActiBlizz would not.
    Blizzard, like any other company, has a huge amount of resources in terms of the people they have to create video games. However, they split their total resources between various projects at various times. The people they had working on Titan weren't producing work up to the quality Blizzard expected, so they scrapped the progress made and went back to the drawing board. They are still working on titan, but they reassigned most of the developers to other projects, leaving only a very small team to salvage what was good about their project and try to refocus their vision. This happens from time to time within a company, Diablo 3 went through much of the same sort of development when they scrapped a bunch of progress to restart the project.

I fully expect Titan to release at some point in the future, after Blizzard has gotten it much closer to their expectations, much like with Diablo 3. Starcraft: Ghost, on the other hand, was being developed for Xbox (the original), PS2, and the Wii and was set to release sometime shortly before or after the Xbox 360. They would have produced a game, published it in the wake of a brand new console, and suffered because no one would want to drop $40-60 on a game designed for inferior consoles. Not to mention they had several delays between changing studios and trying to develop a game between 3 very different consoles. They announced in 2006 (post Xbox 360 launch) that the game was on indefinite hold while they investigate the possibility of developing it for Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii consoles.

Now, as far as your point about Blizzard and Activision quality goes, Blizzard is a very different company than it used to be. During Vanilla Wow and TBC development, they were much much smaller, with fewer resources and lesser ability to multitask between major projects. Notice how Blizzard effectively came out with zero other games during Vanilla/TBC? Pretty much 100% of their development focus was on World of Warcraft.

Warcraft 3: 2002 with expansion in 2003
    Vanilla Wow: 2004
    TBC: 2007
    Wotlk: 2008
    SC2: 2010
    Cata: 2010
    D3: 2012
    MoP: 2012
    SC2 expansion: 2013
    D3 expansion: 2014
    HS: 2014
    HotS: Beta 2014
    WoD: Beta 2014

You'll notice that they've released a lot more games since WoTLK and been much more active in terms of overall game development. This can only be attributed to how large their development team has become since Vanilla/TBC. This also means that they no longer have to push something back if it's not ready, instead they can just refocus some devs onto a current project to make sure it releases on time (or sooner, rather than later, in Blizzard speak), and still put the same level of quality into their games as they always have.

Activision is a separate company than Blizzard. You can't really hold them responsible for anything Blizzard does.