Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ...
24
32
33
34
  1. #661
    High Overlord Everztar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    187
    i hope you do realize that Resources doesn't have to mean money?
    it could also mean employees/staff to take care of the job O.o

    Energy, Mana, Focus, Staff, Employees, Services?

    A resource is anything used to produce a benefit. Typically resources are materials, energy, services, staff, knowledge, or other assets that are transformed to produce benefit and in the process may be consumed or made unavailable.

  2. #662
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,749
    Well yeah, you're talking about a company who'd tell us it would cost us a raid tier to have the Sunreaver Onslaught Tabard look different from the Sunreaver Tabard.

    With Blizzard nothing surprises me anymore. Warriors are doing too much dmg? Buff slam, nerf mobility. Warriors need overhaul? Take a shit all over the class for the sake of making it function within the new active mitigation system for Prot Warriors and make HS one shot people. Next expansion? Remove Charge Stun and Heroic Strike.

    -___________________-

    But it never ceases to amaze me how newer games put out more models instead of just rehashing the same shit and actually look better. FFXIV is a good example. Not a lot of mobs share the same model. They just had a new patch with a lot of different looking gear and bosses. But still don't change the fact that the game plays like dogshit.

    Literally all grind grind grind grind grind.

  3. #663
    Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    it is getting better and better, really.
    And I agree, why put valuable resources on free obtainable goods?
    They are better spend on goods which bring in money. Nothing surprising here. ;-)
    Ikr, Blizz needs to make money, thats what companies do.

    let me spell it out for you...successful companies make money...

    All these trolls just dont get it.
    Build #1: Corsair 350D | EVGA 500W PSU | Gigabyte Z97M-D3H | Intel i5-4690k | Crucial MX100 512GB SSD / WD 1TB | Gigabyte Black GTX-750Ti | 16GB Gskill - Windows 8.1

    Budget Build: DS Aero | EVGA 500W PSU | Gigabyte B85-D3V | Intel G3258 [email protected] GHz | 250GB Samsung EVO | WD 500GB Data | EVGA GTX-750Ti | 8GB Gskill | Windows 7 Pro


  4. #664
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Ikr, Blizz needs to make money, thats what companies do.

    let me spell it out for you...successful companies make money...

    All these trolls just dont get it.
    You forget that Blizzard used to care about their products and their clients, not just money.

    They used to scrap content just because it wasn't good enough in their eyes, not Blizzard worthy, just like StarCraft Ghost and Titan. You can imagine how much money they lost scrapping an almost finished product like Ghost.

    Real companies care about profit, but most developers care about product quality more. This "they're a business they should only think about money" attitude is childish.

  5. #665
    Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    You forget that Blizzard used to care about their products and their clients, not just money.

    They used to scrap content just because it wasn't good enough in their eyes, not Blizzard worthy, just like StarCraft Ghost and Titan. You can imagine how much money they lost scrapping an almost finished product like Ghost.

    Real companies care about profit, but most developers care about product quality more. This "they're a business they should only think about money" attitude is childish.
    Titan was 'scrapped' (if that's the right word to describe it) recently actually, and Starcraft Ghost was a real shame to have not made it. The game looked great to me, but they scrapped it because the console generation moved forward and they were behind, and couldn't be bothered to finish. I'd still play it if they released Starcraft Ghost now.

    I wouldn't look at these examples as "Blizzard was great back then because they scrapped these". Starcraft Ghost looked amazing and honestly should have been finished. Titan was scrapped recently, not in the wonderful yesteryears of Blizzard's golden era. There really aren't any other examples of Blizzard scrapping things and furthermore them scrapping a game doesn't mean they did a good, noble thing.

    If you want an example of Blizzard going to extremes to care about quality, look at The Burning Crusade. It was supposed to release in time for Christmas, but it was pushed back to January -- missing the holiday sales -- because it wasn't ready, and they wanted to make sure it was. This is something the old Blizzard would do, but the ActiBlizz would not.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2014-07-14 at 11:18 AM.

  6. #666
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,301
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Ikr, Blizz needs to make money, thats what companies do.

    let me spell it out for you...successful companies make money...

    All these trolls just dont get it.
    Let me spell it out for you too, as a consumer, I care about my own fun. I don't care about how much money the company makes.
    I hope they go make money so that they continue to make content so that I, as a consumer, can have fun. But when they start making money at the expense of my fun and have the nerve to lie to me in the face (lol, not enough resources for mounts...except for these ones in the shop) is when I consider something is wrong.

  7. #667
    Epic! Akaihiryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Columbus OH
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Palemaster View Post
    You forget that Blizzard used to care about their products and their clients, not just money.

    They used to scrap content just because it wasn't good enough in their eyes, not Blizzard worthy, just like StarCraft Ghost and Titan. You can imagine how much money they lost scrapping an almost finished product like Ghost.

    Real companies care about profit, but most developers care about product quality more. This "they're a business they should only think about money" attitude is childish.
    This exactly. You can make more money by focusing on making quality products rather than by focusing on money. You might make more money in the *very short term* by focusing on money, but that will alienate your customers and make you lose money in the long term. Unfortuantely, corporate America is only concerned with the short term.

  8. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by TS26 View Post
    But do you have the resources for it?
    clearly blizz forgot to construct additional pylons
    Beta club member

  9. #669
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser
    Titan was 'scrapped' (if that's the right word to describe it) recently actually, and Starcraft Ghost was a real shame to have not made it. The game looked great to me, but they scrapped it because the console generation moved forward and they were behind, and couldn't be bothered to finish. I'd still play it if they released Starcraft Ghost now.

    I wouldn't look at these examples as "Blizzard was great back then because they scrapped these". Starcraft Ghost looked amazing and honestly should have been finished. Titan was scrapped recently, not in the wonderful yesteryears of Blizzard's golden era. There really aren't any other examples of Blizzard scrapping things and furthermore them scrapping a game doesn't mean they did a good, noble thing.

    If you want an example of Blizzard going to extremes to care about quality, look at The Burning Crusade. It was supposed to release in time for Christmas, but it was pushed back to January -- missing the holiday sales -- because it wasn't ready, and they wanted to make sure it was. This is something the old Blizzard would do, but the ActiBlizz would not.
    Blizzard, like any other company, has a huge amount of resources in terms of the people they have to create video games. However, they split their total resources between various projects at various times. The people they had working on Titan weren't producing work up to the quality Blizzard expected, so they scrapped the progress made and went back to the drawing board. They are still working on titan, but they reassigned most of the developers to other projects, leaving only a very small team to salvage what was good about their project and try to refocus their vision. This happens from time to time within a company, Diablo 3 went through much of the same sort of development when they scrapped a bunch of progress to restart the project.

    I fully expect Titan to release at some point in the future, after Blizzard has gotten it much closer to their expectations, much like with Diablo 3. Starcraft: Ghost, on the other hand, was being developed for Xbox (the original), PS2, and the Wii and was set to release sometime shortly before or after the Xbox 360. They would have produced a game, published it in the wake of a brand new console, and suffered because no one would want to drop $40-60 on a game designed for inferior consoles. Not to mention they had several delays between changing studios and trying to develop a game between 3 very different consoles. They announced in 2006 (post Xbox 360 launch) that the game was on indefinite hold while they investigate the possibility of developing it for Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii consoles.

    Now, as far as your point about Blizzard and Activision quality goes, Blizzard is a very different company than it used to be. During Vanilla Wow and TBC development, they were much much smaller, with fewer resources and lesser ability to multitask between major projects. Notice how Blizzard effectively came out with zero other games during Vanilla/TBC? Pretty much 100% of their development focus was on World of Warcraft.

    Warcraft 3: 2002 with expansion in 2003
    Vanilla Wow: 2004
    TBC: 2007
    Wotlk: 2008
    SC2: 2010
    Cata: 2010
    D3: 2012
    MoP: 2012
    SC2 expansion: 2013
    D3 expansion: 2014
    HS: 2014
    HotS: Beta 2014
    WoD: Beta 2014

    You'll notice that they've released a lot more games since WoTLK and been much more active in terms of overall game development. This can only be attributed to how large their development team has become since Vanilla/TBC. This also means that they no longer have to push something back if it's not ready, instead they can just refocus some devs onto a current project to make sure it releases on time (or sooner, rather than later, in Blizzard speak), and still put the same level of quality into their games as they always have.

    Activision is a separate company than Blizzard. You can't really hold them responsible for anything Blizzard does.
    Last edited by Eroginous; 2014-07-14 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •