Deleted

In game Voice Chat

So back in 2.2...(2.3 maybe?) voice chat was added to the WoW client. I've never used it as I've always used Vent or Mumble and I haven't heard great things about it in terms of quality. But I'm wondering in light of the new OQueue like group finder functionality being added to WoD. Do people intend to use this or stick to vent / mumble ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppah View Post
    But I'm wondering in light of the new OQueue like group finder functionality being added to WoD.
    I really doubt Group Finder will turn out to be a more social experience than LFD/LFR.
    In any case, I've never heard of anyone using in game voice chat. Ever. Doubt that will change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    In any case, I've never heard of anyone using in game voice chat. Ever. Doubt that will change.
    We tried it with Challenge Mod pug, abandoned the idea even before starting the dungeon.

I'll keep using Skype with friends/guildies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it depends on the difficulty of content you're doing with the Group Finder. For Heroic LFD, I could see using 3rd party voice comms (in game voice comms are pretty bad) in the first few weeks since they are supposed to be cata level heroic Dungeon difficult.

LFR probably won't need voice comms but if you're using Group Finder to locate flexible Normal raid groups, I can see the requirement for voice comms.

Actually I endorse the usage of voice comms for actual (non-LFR) raids. It's so much easier to say an audible (i.e. get out of fire) than to type it out.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWL!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by. Now taking calls on all your Legion worries.

7+ Year Old Account
    In-game voice chat was somewhat useful for PUG groups, but from what I understand, it doesn't work cross server so it's pretty useless now. The main issue with it is that it's dependent on being logged into the game so no "Oops guys I got DC'd, I'll be right back on" if you get booted or something.

For organized groups it was never useful because organized groups already have their own voice chat.

Do a lot of people use skype now over vent?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Do a lot of people use skype now over vent?
    I don't know anyone using Skype. A lot of people are still using Vent, but all the guilds I'm in switched to Mumble awhile back. And I run my own Mumble server anyway, so anything I'm in I can just say "use this".

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I don't know anyone using Skype. A lot of people are still using Vent, but all the guilds I'm in switched to Mumble awhile back. And I run my own Mumble server anyway, so anything I'm in I can just say "use this".
    That is cool, how do you like mumble?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    That is cool, how do you like mumble?
    Mumble is by far the best voice chat program I've ever used. Both bandwidth and quality. The UI for the client is a little confusing compared to others, but it's not that big of a deal. And plus, it's the only one that's free. For Vent, only the client is free (servers cost and you can't run them yourself). For Skype, you don't control the server at all. For Mumble...you download the server and run it. Completely free (GPL). I just run it on my Linux server.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Mumble is by far the best voice chat program I've ever used. Both bandwidth and quality. The UI for the client is a little confusing compared to others, but it's not that big of a deal. And plus, it's the only one that's free. For Vent, only the client is free (servers cost and you can't run them yourself). For Skype, you don't control the server at all. For Mumble...you download the server and run it. Completely free (GPL). I just run it on my Linux server.
    Excellent, and for vent you could host your own server it was just the bandwidth that sucked.

Fact is that the vast majority of WoW players never even knew that the game supported it's own voice chat. Because no one uses it.

Yes; it's high quality, but the main reason why people don't use it..."Why use ingame voice chat, that can only be used ingame, and has prefixed options, when you can use an out-of-game voice chat that can be used even when you are disconnected from the game and have tweak able options?"

And from what i remember it's a pain you-know-where to setup. With couple friends we tryied it long time ago (might have changed since then) and after about 30 minutes of messing around, we just gave up. Did we had some sounds? yes, was it good? no, was it working for everyone? no.
    When compared to other software like vent,mumble, team speak where all you have to do is download it, enter a nickname and a server adresse to talk in less then 5 minutes, the choose is not hard.

I remember trying the in game vent thingy when it was released and I didn't like it at all. It's alright I suppose if you're just chatting with a few people casually, but for raiding? No chance.

It also does seem like more and more guilds are switching to Mumble. I still remember when my guild switched to it a long time back. It was such a massive step up. The quality is so much better and we've never had any problems with it.