Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are optional. You could throw your sword over your shoulder and RP walk everywhere if you choose ;-)

But just imagine how annoying doing guild missions without waypoints would be? Trying to gather everyone way the hell out in Iron Marches or Mount Maelstrom would just be tedious beyond words. It wouldn't add to immersion, it would suck - participation would drop off the charts.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    They are optional. You could throw your sword over your shoulder and RP walk everywhere if you choose ;-)

But just imagine how annoying doing guild missions without waypoints would be? Trying to gather everyone way the hell out in Iron Marches or Mount Maelstrom would just be tedious beyond words. It wouldn't add to immersion, it would suck - participation would drop off the charts.
    Well there is a portal in divinity's reach to ebonhawke to be fair. I mean 100% removing waypoints would be silly but some are redundant.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

When I was on route to Dry Top I realized how many WPs I had missed on the way there. The closest WP I had to Dry Top at the time was in Metrica Province.

The run through the adjoining zone of Dry Top was... unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    to be honest, I really see waypoints / waypoint-hopping as GW2's big flaw. The sense of real travel gets lost entirely.
    Yeah, I have noticed there are people who think the world is small because of waypoints. I didn't use waypoints at all in the game until around level 55 when I was in sparkfly and that was because it took me a long time to walk back to lions arch lol. So the world still feels huge to me.

Overall I like waypoints, I just think the game experience is better without them (at least towards the beginning of the game).

Deleted
    The world is pretty huge in my eyes because of world completion tweice. That's one big ass walk!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbleed View Post
    The world is pretty huge in my eyes because of world completion tweice. That's one big ass walk!
    I agree! I've only managed world completion once and my only goal for my alts is just to get all the waypoints so I can get around. I think the highest any of my alts has is 60% or so.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree here my dear Maarius. Waypoints are awesome.

(this isn't medieval fantasy)
    Haha yeah I know that my opinion about travelling in GW2 are not very popular... it feels like being a human travelling to the black citadel before the treaty... naked and with a quaggan-hat.

Despite all the "different" things about the other mmos (the reason why I love GW2 so much)... I never had such moments like walking/riding from Darnassus through the Ashenvale Forests, through the Barrens right up to Orgrimmar (and all the surrounding Danger) in a mmo ever again. It just feels awesome. It just feels like a real world.

And you know what? People didn't mind that much when I was playing. It's just natural having to travel in a huge world.

Like I said, this is what I miss in GW2. Once you have the opportunity to use a waypoint-shortcut, you take it. You may say: "It's optinal", but when you play the game it really isn't. I may enjoy the journey, but only when I know that I have to travel to reach that place. Sure, it's annoying sometimes, but that's the price you have to pay for the world feeling real imho. (not sure if you could follow me)

Sure, waypoints are THE convenience system. It's there to let people play with their friends whenever they like. I just ask myself... was it worth it? We still have Asura Gates which take us to places far away.

don't think I could handle not having waypoints, not after all of this time

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    was it worth it?
    When the alternative is less people participating in world events, more events failing, and general frustration with a much faster paced system of play being hindered by poor travel options then yes....yes it was worth it.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    When the alternative is less people participating in world events, more events failing, and general frustration with a much faster paced system of play being hindered by poor travel options then yes....yes it was worth it.
    well of course there would have to be a replacement system for it... otherwise, as you say, world events would lose massive participation. I'm not a genius, so I probably can't come up with THAT idea.

- - - Updated - - -

just guessing what might happen next: they shut down a lot of waypoints

Btw. why do people think mobile waypoints are something special. We, the players, use those all the time. We can teleport from anywhere in the world to any waypoint. Logan had one of these when he left Destiny's Edge at the battle against Kralkatorrik. I don't think we will get "new" mobile waypoints, it was just new that a npc (Scarlet) used one.

- - - Updated - - -

some weird idea (replacement for waypoints): What if you could teleport from anywhere to a friend/groupmember (except WvW of course). Only requirement: you need to have that location unlocked already (having been there). That way players could always play with their friends, whenever they want. They could also teleport to the big meta-events via groups who do these events. (or easier: Metaevents provide an npc which you can teleport to)

(please, don't kill me!!)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    well of course there would have to be a replacement system for it... otherwise, as you say, world events would lose massive participation. I'm not a genius, so I probably can't come up with THAT idea.
    I mean you could have world summons that allow you to teleport to events, but half the people would use it as substitute waypoints anyways...so I'm not sure it would really serve properly. Really this is an 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it scenario'.

- - - Updated - - -

What if you could teleport from anywhere to a friend/groupmember (except WvW of course). Only requirement: you need to have that location unlocked already (having been there). That way players could always play with their friends, whenever they want. They could also teleport to the big meta-events via groups who do these events. (or easier: Metaevents provide an npc which you can teleport to)
    No. See my previous response. It also removes the ability for people to play by themselves. It's punishing and forcing groups when the organic groups already work very well.

(please, don't kill me!!)
    Stahp it. Stahp now.
    BAD WOLF

Most complaints I hear regarding waypoints is complaining when they're contested. Removing some or all of them would probably kill off a lot of stuff.

*turns away with a sad face*

*turns head: "mounts?"*

*stones incoming... goes away and cries*

*turns away with a sad face*

*turns head: "mounts?"*

*stones incoming... goes away and cries*
    Maybe they could add flying mounts, so they could take them away later. :-p

There may be too many waypoints in some places, but if you think of them as the replacement for flight paths it's just a time saver over the scenic route.

You still need to go out there and find the waypoints and stuff, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Maybe they could add flying mounts, so they could take them away later. :-p
    Waypoints are very convenient. I don't think they should preclude us from getting mounts as well though. I would love to see mounts in the game. Not flying mounts, just mounts. Give them a 35% speed compared to normal running and have them auto dismount on any damage. The could put the broom and co into that mix. I loved collecting mounts in WOW and I don't see why it would be any different in GW2.

Speaking of travel, I want blimps or zeppelins or planes or something so I can leisurely ride them and enjoy the scenery.
    3DS FC: 1177 - 7882 - 6112

Deleted
    The Fort Marriner Waypoint (LA) started flickering o-o I didn't expect it this quick to happen!

big news: There is only 1 Living World team contrary to last season when there were 4. Yay!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../3#post4193277

Quote Originally Posted by Angel McCoy
    We’ve made a lot of changes for Season 2. We’re continually improving our processes with each new release. The most notable being that we no longer have 4 Living World teams, each making their own content; we have 1. This has allowed us to create much more cohesive releases, and I think you’ll find that our story hangs together quite well in Season 2.

Deleted
    I never understood why they had 4 teams. I'm glad they realized separate teams for the same assignment is never a good idea :'D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbleed View Post
    I never understood why they had 4 teams. I'm glad they realized separate teams for the same assignment is never a good idea :'D
    Because Season 1 was largely experimental. Remember my pots analogy?
    Valar morghulis