Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    The only thing that still gets me is animal cruelty. Other than that I barely flinch at anything anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    It has absolutely nothing to do with masculinity. It's taking control of something which bothers us by exposing ourselves to it until it no longer has an impact.

Did you ever think that these things bothering you is a good, normal, natural reaction that shouldn't be removed?

Horror movies since very young (7-8), medical arts interest since same age (mothers books) so quite used to see wounds and different pathologies and its effects on people, then just normal exposure to internet stuff and some rl things that happened. There is no reason to panic/have odd reactions to bad things.
    Used to it and not much can phase me, interestingly enough movies will move me more than reality, in reality one needs to keep a cool head but in movies you can just let it go and enjoy being scared/freaked out

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    What are you talking about..
    I can say for sure I am completely desensitized , there is nothing that I could see on the internet that would provoke an emotional or physical reaction from myself anymore.
    And I am okay with that.

You basically trained yourself to be somewhat of a psychopath, and you are "okay" with that. I certainly do find that problematic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awbee View Post
    Did you ever think that these things bothering you is a good, normal, natural reaction that shouldn't be removed?
    I think you are overestimating the effect of internet desensitization.

You basically trained yourself to be somewhat of a psychopath, and you are "okay" with that. I certainly do find that problematic.
    Do you even know what a psychopath is?

Deleted
    I had considered it in retrospect, though I wasn't aware of my motives at the time.

I would say that I am pretty desensitized to gore and the such. Growing up I watched my fair share of horror movies but as I have gotten older I just don't have a "taste" for the really gorey stuff anymore. So movies like Saw 786 just don't appeal to me anymore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    Just curious, how desensitized to horror movies/violence/gore/nudity are you?

Personally I grew up watching horror movies, from a very, very early age. (I saw Predator 2 and Childsplay 2 in the theatres when I was 5 or 6 ish). Same with action and the like. If there was blood in it, I watched it. If there was a "boogeyman", I had to see it. And of course, most of these movies also contain incredibly large amounts of nudity as well.

So anything newer just..doesn't cut it. Sucks because I love the idea of being scared.

So, pretty much what the title says. Can you get scared still by horror movies? Tits on TV bother you? Etc etc.
    any chances you´re from the US?

i still get "scared" by horror movies, though it´s mostly due to the effects, like loud noises or the likes, but blood and gore, not so much, though that´s probably because i see it in real life too

nudity, yeah we have naked people on tv since i can remember, sooo not so much
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I think you are overestimating the effect of internet desensitization.
    Just because something is on the internet, doesn't mean it has no effect on you. If you don't react with compassion, sadness, anger etc to watching an innocent person being murdered online, your reaction to watching an innocent being murdered in real life will at least be greatly reduced.

Do you even know what a psychopath is?
    A person who's incapable of empathy, compassion, regret, and other natural human emotions.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Very strange, seeing videos of people having their heads cut off or smashed in the face with a hammer doesn't really bother me much anymore. But I cringe when people smack their head on the ground. And although I can watch people die, its very hard to watch animals, cats and dogs specifically, die.

10+ Year Old Account
    A person who's incapable of empathy, compassion, regret, and other natural human emotions.
    Does not a bad man make.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gore and nudity in movies dosnt bother me that much, i like horror movies aswell unless its just mashup of jump-scares , which i find rather annoying in the long run. It actually saddens me that movies now rely on jump-scares with randomly increasing volume x10 instead of wrighting good scripts. Also does anyone else gets bothered when all dialogues in movies are on whisper level of volume while sound effects suddendly makes your ears bleed? at first i thought its just error during montage process or something , but it seems to be a trend recently...

Deleted
    Just because something is on the internet, doesn't mean it has no effect on you. If you don't react with compassion, sadness, anger etc to watching an innocent person being murdered online, your reaction to watching an innocent being murdered in real life will at least be greatly reduced.

What a load of bullshit , If I saw an innocent person die in real life I can safely say I would be scarred.

Watching someone die in front of your eyes , in a situation happening around you , were you can influence and interact with what is exactly going on is something completely different.

My girlfriend is a nurse , I can say she is 100% more desensitised than I am. She must be a psychopath.

nudity doesn't bother me at all, neither does gore really. as for horrors, the standard horror flicks don't scare me, most of them are just cheap startles which I find annoying, I've yet to see one that's genuinely scary.

now, the found footage stuff - those scare the shit out of me, paranormal activity is the scariest movie ever imo ;p

and, although they creep me out, I do love movies like 'saw' where people get put in those fucked up situations.
    Last edited by Joey Ray III; 2014-07-08 at 03:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little squimish when i see a blade slowly cutting down into flesh and I hate anything bad done to animals anywhere ever. Aside from those, kill'em all.

And no, no babies are cute. None. Ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are animals different from human beings? Personally neither does me anything. Seen a couple of kids lit a puppy on fire which didn't do my anything really. Nor do all those PETA videos where they go undercover showing how animals get mistreated/abused violently. But the same could be said about the human equivalent.

Though I can stomach watching it and it leaves me pretty cold, it could be because it feels so distant over the internet. Don't think it would be the same when it actually happend around me.

edit;
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Theres a stark difference between watching gore on a screen and experiencing it in real life. I'd say its pretty easy to not feel anything when you see it on the TV.
    This ^

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I desensitized to it? Yep

But at the same time I am mindful of that so I do what I can with that understanding to stop a moment when I am confronted with a terrible situation or see something horrific to not rush through that emotions, and not feel ashamed to look, or to even allow myself to empathize with someone or circumstance, I think in our modern age, it's good to take the toys away from ourselves once in a while if our things start to become us, rather than actually being what we are which is human.

Was it the politician who took the gun out of the envelope?
    Hey Man, Nice Shot.
    Last edited by Concequence; 2014-07-08 at 03:24 PM.
    We think we climb so high, Upon the backs we've condemned ...We face our Conϛequence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    any chances you´re from the US?

i still get "scared" by horror movies, though it´s mostly due to the effects, like loud noises or the likes, but blood and gore, not so much, though that´s probably because i see it in real life too

nudity, yeah we have naked people on tv since i can remember, sooo not so much
    Yes, actually. Why do you ask? ^^

Also, I'm not encouraging being desensitized as some manly macho thing. I genuinely regret not being able to feel more when watching TV or movies, or even playing games. It definitely has it's bad sides, because things that should be scary just aren't. (not in reply to you, just too lazy to multiquote off 2 pages) :P

I grew up on a livestock farm, started helping to butcher animals when I was about 2, very little phases me in the way of blood and gore. I've seen and done stuff that would probably make most people here sick.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church