Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Necrosis: Mechanical Breakdown

Although I've been trying to reverse engineer/test Necrosis, I didn't want to make an "official" post until we had blue confirmation that everything tested thus far was accurate (as opposed to simply being a bugged or unintended side-effect).
    Luckily, we just got it!

Here's what I've been able to determine so far:

Necrosis: Your Scourge Strike, Festering Strike, Plague Strike, Soul Reaper, and Pestilence multistrikes deal an additional (3% of Attack power) Shadow damage.

-Multistrikes with the slated abilities (Soul Reaper, Scourge Strike, Plague Strike, Festering Strike and Pestilence) trigger the Necrosis event to occur.

-Although triggered by mulstrikes from certain abilities, Necrosisis itself is SEPARATE from the multistrikes that cause it. Its damage is in no way tied to the damage caused by those Multistrikes.

-The shadow damage that Necrosis deals can Multistrike on its own, can Critically hit and also benefits from the Dreadblade Mastery. The base damage dealt by the event is dependent on Attack Power (currently 3% of AP).

-Attacks with multiple components (Pestilence, Scourge Strike and Soul Reaper) have a chance to multistrike independently with each portion. Any of these multistrikes can trigger Necrosis.

Hope this helps with any ability modelling.
    Last edited by Magdalena; 2014-07-08 at 06:58 AM.
    @MagdalenaDK
    Plaguebearer

<Magdalena> There's really no way to say "There's a two hour long video of me on the Internet", without it sounding dirty is there?
    <Mionepony> Especially not if it's you...

Thanks for doing this!

Here's a really quick log I took a day or two ago. Granted it was a premade PvP toon with the default gearset with randomly allocated stats, but it doesn't seem like Necrosis is doing much of anything yet so tuning definitely needs to take place.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Why did Blizz add this ability? Just to make Multistrike a good stat? Seems fairly useless and weak imo. When I saw they added something called Necrosis to unholy, I thought cool, probably a new and awesome passive, might make unholy more interesting and then I saw the tooltip.
    Last edited by GodEmperor; 2014-07-08 at 02:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darklift View Post
    Why did Blizz add this ability? Just to make Multistrike a good stat? Seems fairly useless and weak imo
    Extra damage you don't have to do anything extra to achieve...well if you think that's useless. Guess we might as well just get rid of sudden doom too? It's just a random proc that adds some more damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Extra damage you don't have to do anything extra to achieve...well if you think that's useless. Guess we might as well just get rid of sudden doom too? It's just a random proc that adds some more damage...
    They could just add the extra damage to the abilities directly. Why even bother adding a whole new ability, give it a cool name and make it do some minuscule extra damage while being totally uninteresting. Maybe you find doing piddly extra damage interesting, idk.

Not sure how you compare Sudden Doom to this one and not that it's any good either. But at least it's a random proc and only works in Unholy presence. Meaning people who sit blood presence in PvP don't get the proc and people who Presence dance can make use of it to do a lot more damage. Basically promoting skilled play if you shift presences. That is actually much better than this which is kind of like a much weaker version of Rets mastery.
    Last edited by GodEmperor; 2014-07-08 at 03:16 PM.

Necrosis is significant because of the way it scales with multistrike.

To put it as simply as possible, you gain more necrosis damage going from 1k to 2k multistrike than you do going for 0 to 1k. This is going to be big later on in the expansion.

Obviously 3% attack power as damage is very little, expect that to change pretty quickly when numbers passes start happening.

It doesn't change our gameplay though, not everything will.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2014-07-08 at 03:21 PM.

Needs a numbers pass. Doing less damage than a single Death and Decay over the course of two minutes is laughable and would make Unholy's MuS attunement make no sense with Necrosis in its current state. Other than that, hey look, a useful secondary stat for DPS DKs! Shocker, I know.
    Last edited by SirHandMan; 2014-07-08 at 03:26 PM.

seriously u cant complain about output yet, they are just making the mechanics of it work, they will do number passes later.

Its clearly just a passive designed to make Multistrike more appealing. I'm fine with that. (Though I would've loved a return of Wandering Plague based of MS..but thats just nostalgia )

I'd really love it if the passive had been a return of wandering plague... but I guess it'd be a bit useless for single target.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    Obviously 3% attack power as damage is very little, expect that to change pretty quickly when numbers passes start happening.
    I doubt that, it was always a small amount of damage. They just wanted to add a bit of flavor to "Multistrike Attunement". They did something similar for every spec in the previous beta patch, adding minor flavor to those secondary stat attunements.

It's great to get the nitty-gritty how it works for simming purposes and to answer questions. But necrosis damage is not a big deal, and never will be.

Necrosis was never a significant portion of our damage, but calling it a small amount right now is a hell of an understatement.

There's plenty of room for it to do more while remaining a relatively unimportant contributor overall.

We're talking about future number changes that may or may not happen. Nobody can make a substantial answer to that. I don't expect Necrosis' damage component to be a significant proportion of Unholy damage when 6.0 goes live, but we'll just need to wait and see.

I expect unholy to have ~50% of its damage from Necrotic Plague for the first few weeks of raiding until Blizzard decides to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    I expect unholy to have ~50% of its damage from Necrotic Plague for the first few weeks of raiding until Blizzard decides to fix it.
    Not sure about 50%, but i would like my NP to be my biggest source of damage. Think it suits what Unholy is.

Necrotic Plague really needs to be special-cased per spec. DKs are one of very few classes without special-cased L100 talents. Defile and BoS may work that way, but Necrotic Plague really won't. Unholy's +60% disease damage passive makes that impossible.

But this thread is supposed to be about Necrosis, an entirely different ability...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious about how the Festerblight play will degrade potency of this ability. Considering we use more Festering Strikes which translates to less Scourge Strikes.

15+ Year Old Account
    So scourge strike can now, when stars align, produce 10 sources of damage from 1 strike? 1 meele, 1 shadow, 4 multistrikes, 4 necrosis?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    So scourge strike can now, when stars align, produce 10 sources of damage from 1 strike? 1 meele, 1 shadow, 4 multistrikes, 4 necrosis?
    In addition, the 4 Necrosis can also multistrike... make that 18 sources.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the idea of hitting someone with a slot machine.