10 8.93%
  • Mining

1 0.89%
  • Skinning

7 6.25%
  • Tailoring

2 1.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

lol at second place being LW/inscription.

sorry guys being clueless at how to make gold does not make your profession give low profit.

I know engineering makes poor money now, but given how much it makes when content is still new i'd have thought it balanced out.

Would be interesting to see a poll like this again a few months after WOD has started and see the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Alroxas View Post
    This is an interesting issue with regards to gathering profession that feed into crafting professions. Yes, the farm in MoP (and garrison in WoD) would be able to supplement the gathering but it's unlikely that these sources could actually replace them on a 1:1 toon basis (it would be different to have 3~4 toons' farms/garrisons feeding to 1 crafting toon).

Honestly, it'll depend on how the limiting the specific reagent is. For instance, for LW you can convert either 20 exotic leather or 20 prismatic scales into 1 magnificent hide but that's on a daily CD or you can use 50 exotic leather per magnificent hide without a CD. Then in 5.4, hardened magnificent hide was introduced which required 2 magnificent hides (but also on a daily CD).

Thus you would need either 100 exotic leather, 70 exotic leather, or 50 exotic leather + 20 prismatic scales each day to produce 1 hardened magnificent hide per day. A raptorleaf seed only yields 1~2 exotic leather and a farm has a max of 16 slots, which yields only 32 exotic leather if you're lucky to get 2 leathers per slot. Using songbell seeds yields 1.6 spirits of harmony of which you could trade 1 spirit of harmony for 20 exotic leather. So either method is inefficient if you are trying to regularly produce leather through these mechanics.
    3-4 is a bit of an exaggeration in regards to how many toons you need to feed into one character for farming to be an efficient way to gather leather. I have 10 toons that farm various crafting mats except for enchanting - 3 go into Enigma Seeds for Golden Lotus, 3 go into Snakeroot Seeds for Trillium, 2 go into Windshear Cactus Seeds for cloth, and 2 go into Raptorleaf Seeds for leather. I always get enough cloth and leather for all my "research" on my Tailor and Leatherworker, and sometimes (rarely) Raptorleaf will yield a Magnificent Hide. I put almost no effort into getting this leather every day, so it's more efficient than you might think.

What I find more annoying is the Snakeroot Seeds, trying to get a decent amount of Trillium. I have 2 xmute spec alchemists, so I pour my Trillium Bars into Living Steel, but I rarely get a balanced enough White/Black Trillium return to make 12 bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

Quote Originally Posted by Lokoz View Post
    Considering Engineers can make the mounts and sell them for quite a bit.. I'd have to say that Inscription probably makes less? Especially in the future when most players will have all glyphs and wont be buying em.. (unless they make an alt or new players need them)
    The problem with Engineering mounts (and other crafted mounts) is that it either requires a hefty investment in vendor materials, or in the case of the Sky Golem, 30 days of cooldowns.

Engineering sucks at money but at least it's useful in pve/pvp. That being said most proffesions suck compared to jc/enchanting/alchemy.

Im gonna say inscription just because i cba to check, out of the multitude of glyphs, which ones are the most expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Seosaimhin View Post
    I always get enough cloth and leather for all my "research" on my Tailor and Leatherworker, and sometimes (rarely) Raptorleaf will yield a Magnificent Hide. I put almost no effort into getting this leather every day, so it's more efficient than you might think.

What I find more annoying is the Snakeroot Seeds, trying to get a decent amount of Trillium. I have 2 xmute spec alchemists, so I pour my Trillium Bars into Living Steel, but I rarely get a balanced enough White/Black Trillium return to make 12 bars.
    In that case, I've just been very unlucky with my Raptorleaf plantings.

As for trillium, I typically use the transmute method: 10 GI Bars = 1 Trillium, no CD. Sometimes my alchemists get lucky and I get 2~4 instead of just 1.
    ---
    Don't be a victim of IFOWISNAWOD!
    Call 800-Calm-The-F-Down, Operators are standing by.

Engineering. There's nothing you can really sell on a day-to-day basis unless you can invest in selling mounts and pets which still aren't exactly that profitable.

Leather-working is a close second.

Being an Engineer on my main and having many other professions spread over other toons, I have to say it is the least profitable by a large margin. I didn't expect to make any cash when going into it so I don't mind, but even if I wanted to make good money I don't stand a chance.

Biggest problem with engineering is usually that the mats to create mounts and pets either takes a long time or costs too much. Scopes aint worth it most of the times either.

I prefer my usual tactic. Get a ton of Inscription Characters, then make trinkets.

The poll results make it quite clear.

Which serves about right for Engineering.

This profession wasn't designed to be profitable. It's designed to be handy and comfortable. The one you pick when you have enough gold already and just want great utility that comes out of it.

Following up has to be Leatherworking. It has the most excruciating and costly levelling and offers very little in return. Just a leg enchant and couple gear pieces. Tailoring gets bags. Blacksmithing gets transmog weapons that sell for much more than their mat cost is. They really need to merge this with skinning into one profession to make it worthwhile. Tailoring works like that, when you have high Tailoring you find significantly more cloth drops. Essentially making tailoring a 2 in 1 profession - tailoring and cloth gathering.

Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    They really need to merge this with skinning into one profession to make it worthwhile.
    They should just make gathering professions a subskill of their respective crafting professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Mr.EvilGreedyPresident goes "MWAHAHAH YOU PUNY PROGRAMMER, I'M BUYING A NEW FERRARI AND THERE'S O MONEY LEFT FOR YOUR PUNY CONTENT, WITHER AND DIE AND SCREW THE PLAYERS MWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA *thunder echoes in the distance*"
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - Useful PvP Items

Can't believe 4 people think alchemy is the least profitable.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    When making this thread I actually had Skinning in mind. The only profession who needs that is Leatherworking but Leatherworkers but those can get their current level mats exclusively from farm and/or Rares. Well good thing you people decide which is it since apparently it was mistake.
    While Leather is only used for Leatherworking you have to keep in mind that outside the daily CD it's a pain in the arse to get Mag Hides, particularly early in the expansion (20 leather versus 50 leather). Plus was easy to farm leather on that Hozen area by Halfhill with all those goats.

It's also not bad to have Skinning if you're still farming rare mounts such as Fiery Warhorse and A'lar since you can get ~20 stacks of Knothide combined in one run-through of those places. On my server at least Knothide is 50g-100g a stack.

United States of America, Home of the Brave
    Eng then Inc then a tie between LW/TL/BS....this is my server atleast
    Grom Piggy Hellscream™

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    They should just make gathering professions a subskill of their respective crafting professions.
    Reason that this probably won't happen is it screws over the people with Mining and/or Skinning since they no longer have a maxed out profession. Could be rectified by just giving those people fully maxed out BS or LW.

Soo the 100 Voters mark is hit and it seems Engineering is the clear winner so far with 59 Votes. Mind is blown, guess this will be an easy proof
    Capitalism, Ho!

Probably skinning. Mining can smelt if ore is low for whatever reason, or prospect if they have access to a JC on demand. Herbalism gets Golden Lotus which still go for a good amount. Skinners get a lolbag with 2g and junk, and their mats are used in just Leatherworking. Crafting professions fluctuate, but their products are generally worth more than just mats. Usually the ones that suffer later in patch/expansion cycles can at least make a killing at the beginning.

Torn between Skinning and Herbalism, so I went weenie meenie miney mo and voted Herbalism (also because I don't think there's a new lotus in WoD, but I could be wrong - flask recipes seemed to require catalysts, crystals, and herbs).

EDIT: I was wrong, there seems to be something called Chameleon Lotus.

Basically, any time you're competing with bots you're fighting a losing battle. They can provide larger quantities for cheaper, and they never get bored or tired.

Leather is once again going to be used in Tailoring recipes, so that should make Skinning a teensy bit more profitable (although a stack will last a Tailor a while).

Basically, all crafting professions can be profitable if you have the right recipes and know which niches to cater to. Some of the most profitable markets, however, like Inscription, JC, and Enchanting can be impossible to break into for average players because they are dominated by people with enormous resources and unlimited time at their disposal (also, they attract botters). You can hang out on the fringe selling the sort of stuff which doesn't interest mass producers, but you're probably not going to play with the big boys unless your server is a miraculous place free of campers and botters.

I'm not sure what the OP means by "making a fortune" or how exactly he's going to prove that he made that gold solely by using a certain profession. Fortunes are made by using a combination of professions which have good synergies (i.e. they allow you to use all the meat and bones from a shuffle), along with smart flipping, arbitrage (won't be the case in WoD), selling TCG, etc. Now if you're talking about making 100K using any profession, big deal - that's peanuts. But I'd love to see you skin your way to gold cap. Not saying it's not possible, but I'm afraid you'll want to throw your computer out of the window by the time you're done.
    Last edited by Hess; 2014-07-17 at 06:32 AM.